Ride Report "Soul Ride" in the Laguna Mountains

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by MTBBill, Jul 13, 2012.

1. MTBBill

MTBBill Trail Detective

Defense Contractor
    Home Page:
    Wednesday was pretty freaking hot (by San Diego Weather Weenie standards) with a bit of mugginess thrown in due to a bit of weather on the way in. Steve and I decided to pass up triple digit sufferage in the usual Alpine spot and head up into the Laguna Mountains for what we consider the "Soul Ride". Big Laguna Meadow and the network of surrounding trails.

[​IMG]

One of the reasons we call this the Soul Ride (Along with the overused "Chicken Soup for the Soul" reference) is that it is just a fun time out on the bike. While most of the usual places around San Diego County have browned all up and gotten into full on summer mode, you can still find plenty of greenery and wildflowers out and about up here.

[​IMG]

It was cooler in the Laguna Mountains but it was still 90 when we started. It was quite overcast when we started but there was just enough breeze to keep things reasonable.

[​IMG]

Steve brought out the clown bike so of course a show had to be put on. This rock is known as "Dental Plan" because if you screw up you are going to need one.

[​IMG]

Later on in the day there was a bit of a break from the full blown overcast which made for some nice bit of afternoon color. This is the connector between the Noble Canyon Trailhead and the Big Laguna Trail. If you are going to do the Tour De Noble you will be on this trail at some point. Today we did this trail as an out-and-back to refill our water bladders at the Noble Trailhead.

[​IMG]

We are on the northernwest of the meadow here. This was one of the fire boundary lines that held during the 2003 wildfires that swept through the area. There were thousands of acres burned to the west (behind me in this shot). The area has been recovering well.

[​IMG]

This is a nice scenic spot along the southern side of the meadow. The only thing it needs is..........

[​IMG]

A stupid human trick! (I can get Steve to try anything when I pull out the camera) Steve had eyed up this line before but had not pulled the trigger before. I think it took him having my high quality steed underfoot to allow him to pull this off. This line has been named "Compressor".

[​IMG]

This picture should explain the name. 7.5" of travel in the rear and 7" in front were fully used on this move.

[​IMG]

Stuntworks over it was time to work our way back to the vehicles as pulled pork sandwiches and tasty microbrews at Alpine Beer Company were calling our names. Our chosen path was one less traveled with some challenging bits. This Wednesday did not suck.

2. CarlS

CarlS Member

Great pics as always. I love BLT! Where / Which trail was that last shot taken?

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Very nice Bill. Always enjoy your RR's and pics.

4. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Thanks, grasshopper Bill for the reminder that the San Diego area does have its pleasure rides...

5. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    Nice!

Noble never disappoints with its scenery and great trails. But I always feel like I should tip Steve/Aquaholic for the show!

6. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

I'm going to follow you tour de Noble route.

Thanks!

7. bikerider

bikerider New Member

I cut my teeth on Noble. During the 90's, Friday's in college after school ended, hopped in the beater car and drove up to Pine Valley and rode Noble on my rigid Park Pre with canti's. Thanks for sharing the joy of mid week ride's in a great location.

8. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Good to see you posting some other obstacles.

9. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    great place to ride, thanks for the pics