Sore thumb @ MCP Joint

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by tweasol, Jul 17, 2013.

1. tweasol

tweasol New Member

3 years ago I really did a number on my right thumb playing soccer. I don't think it ever healed 100%. I haven't had an issue with it for a long time but I aggravated it somehow (starting hurting BAD at Oaks last Friday) and its been bugging me since. I'm pretty worried about it because doc basically said it's the ligament so it's really hard to treat. Not even surgery can help it. His advice was to limit my use on it as much as possible (even simple stuff - using smart phone with other hand, etc). For the rest of my life?!! I forgot to ask, not sure if I want to know. Sadly the injury is on my dominant hand. Somewhat mind blown at this advice but I trust him so I'm going to follow through with it.

Any tips in this regard? I'm thinking about going grip shifters and maybe getting some grips with better support (bye bye ODIs). Any other ideas?

I might get in touch with my physical therapist as well, he helped me through this last time.

Thanks guys/gals!

2. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Accupuncture. Had a bad case of tendonitis from wrenching on bikes. The Dr said not to use my hand or arm for a month to six weeks! Went to a certified accupunturist and I was pain free in days. Haven't had a recurrence either.
    I also switched to Shimano XT/XTR shifters. The light action and split work using finger and thumb really helped out

3. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I crashed and dislocated my left (non-dominant) thumb about 6 months ago. Damaged the tendon but did not tear it. Have full rotation and strength now. However, the knuckle is enlarged and has a a painful lump on the side closest to index finger. Hurts like a mother when I tap that lump on anything! Doc and PT did not really offer any good hope other than it will improve over time. Gripshift would definitely not be an option for me as the inside of the knuckle would contact the shift ring when changing gears - Ouch! I have XT triggers on my Yeti and SRAM XO triggers on my Superfly. The XT definitely is easier on the thumb - like Ross said it splits the work and requires much less pressure to shift than the XO.

My left pinkie got messed up playing soccer about 4 years ago - broke the top tendon and shredded the knuckle closest to the hand. Permanently hooked and doesn't move. Two hand surgeons both said they could leave it as is, break the knuckle and straighten it, or cut it off. Probably amputate when the arthritis gets a bit worse.

4. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    Is it on the inside of your thumb jt., towards the index finger? If so you should have a CHT(certified hand therapist),either a PT or OT, make a splint for you to help the healing process. Doesn't sound like the ligament is torn. May take 6-8 wks or longer. The lesser the activitiy the better, to let it heal.

5. tweasol

tweasol New Member

It's the joint closest to my hand on my right thumb. I have a splint that immobilizes my thumb, so I've been using that when I sleep and whenever possible during the day.

I haven't felt any pain since I made the original post, I'm considering a ride tomorrow just to see.

6. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    On that joint is it on the side towards your index finger? Where did you get the splint? Go easy cause if you continue to hurt it, healing will continue to delay.

7. tweasol

tweasol New Member

It's kind of hard to tell. It seems like it's centered but if anything I'd say it is more sore away from my index finger. I will - I'll probably just call the ride if it starts to hurt.

8. Jackson

Jackson Member

Doin Stuff
    Try rotating your brake levers up. It takes much of the pressure off the thumb joint and more onto the palm of your hand. I had pain like you are describing and rotated my brake levers up on the advice of a buddy who is a long time moto-x racer. Made a big difference.

9. tweasol

tweasol New Member

Nice. I'll see if I can rotate them any more, I already have them nearly parallel to the ground. I see how this would help though, thanks!

10. tweasol

tweasol New Member

Update: Ithink I found a major contributor to the problem

All I have to say is... WOW. This has got to be what's contributing. Obviously I have the pre-existing injury but this cannot be helping. It's basically hand-on-metal. Incredible how much wear is concentrated in that area under my right thumb. Time to replace these, for sure.

Also: I have since adjusted the brake positioning seen in the photo; they are much higher now.

downsize.JPG

Any suggestions on grips that support that area?

11. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

I'd try a larger grip like odi rogue or one of those foamy ones.

If you need even less thumb pressure maybe try a winged grip like ergon with the wrist rest. I don't feel like I have as good a handle on the bike with ergons though.

12. turbomk3

turbomk3 Member

Rocket Scientist
    Agreed, ODI Rogue or Ergon GA1. I have both and am using the Ergon's. I like the color as well. I've used the GP1s to help relieve some Ulnar Nerve pain, but I found out the source was from operator error (too much braking). Once I fed the speed beast, the pain subsided.

[​IMG]

I put on some thin Lizard Skin take-off grips on a bike I was selling yesterday and I couldn't believe how thin and less supportive they felt.

13. tweasol

tweasol New Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered a pair of Odi Rogue grips. Also going to keep a close eye on that particular spot that wore so bad last time.

Edit: My cockpit is definitely set up wrong. Every single pair of "ergo" grips I look at had the bulk of their support on the outside of the hand, not the inside part which seems to be where I had worn out my old grips. I was fit for my bike over 4 years ago - I might have to get that checked out.