Sore Knee..WTF!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Krztaco, Feb 21, 2008.

1. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    i am glad you mentioned that HA formula. I actually have the 800 number for that Purity product written down on a slip of paper in my car because I heard the ad and wondered if it worked! Thanks for the endorsement. Now I can buy with confidence.:clap:

2. Wicked Smot

Wicked Smot New Member

Knees are complex and hard to diagnose based on symptoms alone but I'm going to throw this out there.

The patellar tendon strap may work if it is a tendonitis issue but based on your description you could also have a patellar tracking issue or what is called patellofemoral pain syndrome. The patella (kneecap) is supposed to slide up and down in a relatively linear fashion when your knee is flexed and extended (such as when pedaling). If you have weakness or tightness in the musculature around the knee, the patella may be pulled off to one side during the pedaling motion which can cause irritation to the surfaces on the back side of the patella. This is actually a really common knee problem and usually it is due to weakness of the VMO (the portion of the quadriceps which pulls the kneecap towards the midline), or tightness of the structures on the outside of the knee (tight Iliotibial band, which almost everyone has). When your knee is flexed and you are cranking on the pedals, you are putting a large amount of force between the kneecap and the femur (thighbone), so if the kneecap is off center, it is going to get more irritated when you do so.

Anyway, enough of the med-speak...here is the fix:

You could start some VMO strengthening exercises (you should be able to look some up online, too wordy to describe here), and you need to stretch the ITB/TFL on the outside of the knee. I would agressively stretch the hamstrings as well. In the meantime, you can cheat by getting a patellar support (knee brace with the donut in front that stabilizes the patella).

There are a lot of other possible diagnoses though. This is just one of the more common causes of pain in the front of the knee for runners and cyclists with a relatively easy home fix.

Like everyone else already said, seat and pedal set-up may be a factor. If things are just a bit off, it can put a lot of stress on the knee.

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

A friend recommended them to me and I have been taking them for 1 year+!!!! I am SOLD!!!

4. denmother

Ditto!!! I had the same exact problem. Wore the brace for a while and went to PT. Had to tape my kneecaps also so that they were straight. After I gained the strength back, no more brace or tape.

I also had all my bikes fitted by Erowheels Pro Cycling and I now use Foot Levelers custom Spine Levelers (instead of fiberglass orthotics) which were recommended by my Chiropractor. My knees are now very happy!!!! :)

Eileen Olson
    Erowheels Pro Cycling
    426 E. 19th Street
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 722-6342

5. mrtawney

mrtawney New Member

High School Digital Film Teacher
    Home Page:
    My suggestions seem to be very simple and most-likely not needed, but I thought I'd just mention this.

I ride to work everyday and was experiencing some knee pain- It was my shoes- My dress shoes sucked so now I wear my running shoes and look like a catholic school boy, but don't care 'cause the knees feel better.

Also, I notice a big difference when I don't drink enough water. It seems when I get enough everything feels better-

That's just me-

6. JPWizard

JPWizard In search of the gnomes

Machinist
    Does glucosamine do much good?

My knees are generally sore right above the joint, not really in it.

7. denmother

I used to take Glucosamine + Chondrotin but I found that the H.A. Joint works much better.

8. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    i'd be wary of most doctors- they tend to (only) prescribe drugs or lean towards surgery. i would recommend getting a referral from your doctor to see a good physical therapist, because you probably have some strength/flexibility issue. my wife happens to be a p.t. and has been propping up my sporting endeavors for about 14 years. she has a private practice, specializing in gyrotonics (it's similar to pilates). her schedule is always full, so i'm not trying to send her business, but if do want her opinion or her recommendation for somebody else who could help you, feel free to pm me.
    good luck...

doug

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
  9. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    i read that Glucosamine doesn't' really have the longterm effect we thought it did, but that the Condroitin does indeed work.

MSM really works as well. When I remember to take it on a regular basis, that
    is.:lol:

10. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i might have to try that, i sprained my ankle last year and was taking glucosamine + chondrotin... anyhow my other other knee was giving me pain today #-o

11. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Grasshopper Nam...

Back away from the single speed....as if you can! :lol:

12. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

yea i tore down my ss and have gearie only bikes now :bang:

13. Krztaco

Krztaco Big Pimp'in Spnd'in Cheez

Update:

I saw Dr. Venuto in Newport (Karl Malone and Rick Fox's Orthopedic Surgeon) and there's some fluid buildup in the knee. I'll be getting an MRI tonight and discussing the results with him at the end of next week.

KRZ

14. Krztaco

Krztaco Big Pimp'in Spnd'in Cheez

Update: Had the MRI read today and everything looks really great! I'll be hitting the gym 3x a week over the next couple months as part of my "rehab" from the Doc. Squats, 6 way lunges, hamstring curls, etc. here I come. The fantastic news is I can ride all day everyday!

KRZ
    Back in the Saddle

15. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Great

See on at SJT Thursday night!