Some competition for Five Ten?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by CalEpic, Jan 10, 2011.

1. mblakely

mblakely New Member

Teva is owned by Deckers Outdoor out of Goleta who owns UGGS, I think they should make some freeride UGGS that would be....Deckers is trying to bring the Teva business back, but I don't know if this is a great business idea.

2. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Hey my uggs stick great to my wellgo mags! Don't think the support would be smart for anything other than my park riding with my dog....but they stick ;)

Hubby has forgotten his 510's more than once and had to ride in his ugg loafers.

3. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Those teva's have some very interesting style... but if they keep you stuck to the pedals and you like the way they look than go with them and who cares what anyone else says.

4. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I'm definately looking for something new. I've been using 5-tens for years, but I don't like them. They offer good traction, but I feel like I'm riding my bike with snowboard boots. Very heavy and clunky feeling.

I want a performance oriented shoe for platforms. My ideal platform shoe would be a Sidi Dominator with a slighly flexier flat bottom sole with 5-ten rubber.

5. XgoodlifeX

XgoodlifeX Hello

It's not like every 5 10 shoe is good looking.
    510.jpg

6. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Not sure if you've tried them, but I like my freeriders better than my impacts for the reason that the sole is more flexible.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Thank you. No, I haven't tried the freeriders, but if they flex more than the impacts, I'm certainly not interested in them. I'd prefer having the souls as stiff if not stiffer than the impacts. I just don't need a square foot of sole like the impacts (pun intended?). After a long day of DH, my feet even feel like bird feet on the impacts, and so they'd be even worse with the freeriders (much like how I felt with Vans for so many years).

I meant that I'd like a platform shoe with the sole slightly flexier than the Sidi Dominators.

8. beachcruiser

beachcruiser New Member

Couldn't agree more. I may be hallucinating, but isn't there a company that attaches 5-10 rubber to other shoes? I'd be happy to be the crash test dummy and send them a pair of my old SIDIs.

9. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    You must not be matching up with the Easton Flatboy pedal. I switched from Transistions to the Eastons and noticed a big difference in stiffness. I think if you go for a significantly stiffer sole you will lose most of the awesome comfort five tens provide.

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I'll tell ya what...In the 30 years I've been riding on platform pedals, since the original Shimano DX pedal was released in 1981, I've used a lot of different platform pedals. While I can't say that I've spent a lot of time on the Flatboys, I haven't noticed any significant differences in the feel of platform pedals, other than pin design.

Although I've spent a lot of time in my Impacts, I've spent considerably more time in my Sidi Dominators, since I use them for XC riding as well as BMX racing. I am very used to stiff soles. My Sidis are my benchmark of comfort when riding bikes. However, I do agree that a platform shoe shouldn't be as stiff as the Sidis, but that's not a matter of comfort, which is why I mentioned that I'd prefer a sole as stiff, if not stiffer than the Impacts, but not as stiff as the Sidis.

beachcruiser, I've also heard of people getting the 5-ten rubber sewn onto Sidis. Seems interesting, but I think the sole needs a little more design than that.

11. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I like wearing my vans

12. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    That would look sick with the Yeti 303 25th anniversary (formerly Aaron Gwin's bike). And by sick, I mean...well...sick.

They would also compliment Mick Hannah's or EC's DH kit, but fortunately for Eric, he rides with clips and can't use those spiffy new Tevas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  13. heme11

heme11 Brake Rider

Field Tech
    I'm more excited about these Teva Downhill shoes with built in shin guards, SIIIIIIIIICK! 8)

[​IMG]

14. TKCastle

TKCastle New Member

Designer
    Teva's I'll try them out, why not? 5.10 karvers are still the ugliest shoe in MTB. I have pair of freeriders that are the second pair that the cap surrounding the shoe is falling off so don't even bring up 5.10's having superior quality. Shimano MP's are still the bench mark in my book.

15. Ginsu1

Ginsu1 New Member

Hey Lee, have you looked at the FiveTen Minnaars or Hellcats? Since they are designed to be SPD compatible, I was told by one of the guys at FiveTen that the soles on them are a lot stiffer than Impacts, etc. I just started using the Hellcats with Twenty6 prerunners and the grip is awesome but I would like a flexier sole myself for more pedal "feel".

Looks like they will be releasing the FiveTen Baron which is supposed to be a "burly performance flat pedal bike shoe" soon:
    http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/10106-baron

16. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

i like the new barons, I'll probably pick up a pair next month. But I thought they were more or less just a re-skin of the freeriders with a different sole.