Solar radiation article?

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by ECOdork, Jan 7, 2006.

1. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    George:
    Nice work on those articles, I finally found a chance to check them out.

I know, I know, elbows and opinions, everyone's got one (or is it a**holes and opinions...) :lol: but I think an important article that is missing--and one that deserves its own writeup--is one on the dangers of solar radiation. I find that I can handle some blazing heat if I have plenty of fluids, but if I'm inadequately protected from the sun, I won't last a half hour before I'm toast.

A few of the basics:
    Cover up and/or wear a good sunscreen/block (one with parsol or equivalent) and Reapply as necessary.

Wear light colored and breathable fabrics, a full brimmed hat (when off the bike) and sunglasses.

A short list and description of the various types of screen/block would be cool. The alcohol based ones that they have these days are great for those people that don't enjoy spreading the Elmer's Glue-like sludge on their bodies. I find that they work best for moderate sun exposure/activity. If I'm going long and hard I pour on the thick stuff.

As in avoiding heat stroke, take extra care when riding during the hottest and brightest part of the day.

Drink plenty of re-hydrating fluids.

I'm sure there is more, but I'm not the authority on this sort of thing.

side note:
    Back in Sept I was looking for some good sun screen. It blew my mind that in a place like SoCal an otherwise decent grocery store DIDN'T have a SINGLE bottle of the stuff! Fifteen minutes and 4 employees later, they tried to give me the old "well, it is because of the change in seasons" balogney. MAYBE up in Maine or Vermont or something where it is getting cold so people are covering up more, but not around here! Even the last time I checked at either the pharmacy or the grocery store I was disappointed by their selection. Thankfully I have some stocked away to hold me until the power that be decide that the sun has miraculously started shining on SoCal again.