So That Is What Hydraulic Brakes Are Like . . .

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BikeThePlanet, Sep 29, 2013.

1. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    On my old bike it wouldn't even take 5 minutes. I liked the BB7's ok, but they needed regular adjustment, would fade rather quickly (even on a larger rotor), and never had much power. Had a couple interesting moments going down Joplin with them.

They're perfectly fine for lots of trails, and they're cheaper than decent hydros. But they're not for me any more, except maybe on a budget-build secondary bike in the future.

2. wheeler

wheeler Member

Agree BB7's are great for mechanicals. However not in the same ballpark as a good set of hydros.

Best value hydro IMO is Shimano XT's. Everyone I know that has them loves them. The best performer (XC brake) Hope EVO

3. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    I have to agree, the BB7's are just okay. They came on my Foes and they fade fast, especially on long descents. They would be great for a lighter rider, but if you are 200 pounds and over you should not be using them.

4. EPIC

EPIC New Member

Coffee Man
    XTR's all the way!

DSC_0998.jpg DSC_0997.jpg

5. wheeler

wheeler Member

Attached Files:

6. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Civ Eng
    They've got a new lever! [​IMG]
    I'd run hope on everything..... if I could afford it

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
  7. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Civ Eng
    They've got a new lever!
    [​IMG]
    I'd run hope on everything..... if I could afford it

8. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Hope levers are awesome!

9. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    I have been well over 250lbs since the mid 90's. Been riding all sorts of disc brake systems since the late 90's. I have cooked hydraulic calipers (not to mention the rotors) on steep DH runs of less than 1/2 mile. Ruined them on the spot.

Been running BB7's on several bikes since around 2003 or 2004. I have been on many 4000' foot descents, and only had them fade once, never with 203mm rotors. I have ridden several bikes with Avid, Hayes, Shimano, Magura, and Formula hydraulic discs, including the several of the latest SLX and XT disc brake system. While the SLX and XT are my favorites, I still have no problems running a well set up BB7 system. I even currently have one bike with one Avid Elixir 5 and one BB7 and have no issues with running the BB7 along with the Avid hydro.

For those that feel like they would like a little more modulation with BB7's, you can get the Avid Speed dial levers and adjust the modulation. The key to good BB7 performance is set up. Good quality housing, and if you have cable housing stops for the rear brake, I suggest using them instead of full length housing. The more housing you have, the more compression you will feel (feels mushy when it's bad). Cut the ends of the housing square, and use aluminum ferrules if you can get them. When BB7's are not set up well, they do feel like *S* at the lever. I have seen multitudes of poorly set up BB7's on brand new bikes on the showroom floor, so it's no surprise to me that the opinions on them are all over the place.

I wish the the ergonomics of the Speed Dial levers was similar to that of the Shimano SLX/XT brakes. I think it's easier to 'one finger' them just because of the design.

10. ringo

ringo It's the spitzer valve

A lot of misinformation about BB7s and "brake fade" in general..... "fade" is a function of:

1- Pad quality (ability to handle heat) before gassing. In this case, ALL brakes will fade at the EXACT same time, under the same conditions, with the same pads/rotors. If your BB7s began to fade...so would ALL types of brakes with the same pads/rotors. It's the pads, not the brakes.

2- Fluid vapor lock- this is when h2o finds its way into your hydraulic system, over time. When heated, you get a gas, which is compressible. Since BB7s are mechanical, this form of fade is impossible....and only a symptom of hydraulic systems. BB7s can not ever fade due to vapor lock....because they have no fluid.

I have NEVER experienced fade on a set of BB7s. If anyone has......look at your pads...not the brake system. BB7s rock. As for "needing more adjustment"......yea right, more "adjustment" than bleeding, re-bleeding, flushing....and still getting some drag? Oh, and how about the fun that goes along with changing pads?? #-o I adjust BB7s in about 5 seconds, and that's once every 10 rides. Turn a knob 2 clicks on each side and you're done. Easiest thing since peeling a banana.

The negative (and I feel it's so slight as to not even matter) is that a cable will stretch more than a column of fluid in a solid jacket...and a lever (as on the BB7's caliper mechanism) will flex more than a piston. So...mechanicals will have a little "give" while hydraulics will have roughly none. But, I've never found this to be a problem. I operate them with 1 finger, two fingers if it's a 10+ minute descent. I also use Jagwire housing and Avid Speed Dial levers, which may help.

As for "if you're over 200 lbs...."....yea, I'm 245. I've owned many different hydraulic brake setups; but the BB7s are by far my favorite brakes.

11. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Except the pads aren't the same, and I'm fairly certain comparable pads aren't available (BB7 vs. Shimano XT, for example).

That's good. But I have. And, 1200 miles on my XT's and never had to touch them, except for new pads. This is a better track record than BB7.

Sure they're easy. But like when you own an old Volkswagen, the shiniest part is your tool set (from frequent use).

My set-up was also with Jagwire and Speed Dial levers. The "flex/stretch" in the system robbed them of power, which I noticed.

Look, I'm not trying to bash the BB7. They're good brakes for the price, especially when compared to something 200% more expensive (BB7+SpeedDial @ $65, vs. XT @ $130). But I can't agree that they perform even close to a good set of hydraulics like the XT's.

12. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Brake fade is a terrible feeling. BB7s felt powerful enough on XC stuff, but so did V brakes, especially with the performance pads. Ride a trail that's steep and technical enough to be considered impossible to ride back up the other way and you'll understand, especially if it's a sustained 5+ min descent with clear braking points such as switchbacks. That power soon diminishes to the point that 1 finger braking is no longer sufficient, and you start using 2 fingers. Soon that feels insufficient, and you start clamping down with 3... the performance fades and you're pretty much left on the edge of control. Soon, after putting out that extra clamping force, your arms will get tired and you will need a break to recover from arm pump. After experiencing that, some might think about overcompensating with huge rotors.

13. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    Do the plunge with BB7's and do it with any hydraulic brake and you will see the difference Varaxis is talking about. The cable stretches and the brakes loses power. It is a downfall of a cable brake.

14. ringo

ringo It's the spitzer valve

c'mon.....that's just nonsense. there is no part of the BB7 brake that can fade before a hydraulic brake can. As for "cable stretch"....yea, you can stretch that braided steel cable with your finger. Uhuh.....well I can't; and I've never met anyone who can. I'm 245 and can BOMB for 10 minutes non-stop....with zero loss of power....and zero fade. BB7 has no fluid....so it can't fade from vapor lock. It's simply impossible.

Look, I've run many hydraulics and (eventually) hated them all. I've run BB7s for 2+ years now. I LOVE them.

15. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Tastes great!

16. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    Well I weigh the same as you and have been riding along time. Every person has had their own experiences and their own opinion. My opinion is from my experience. In no way will you sway me from it. We have to agree to disagree.

I am happy you LOVE you BB7's. I love my Formulas.

17. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    That's a lot of energy and emotion to try to convince somebody of something they don't need to be convinced about...

I understand the value of reporting your own experience so that the OP and readers can gain some valuable insights, but it's kind of funny to try to convince the other person that what they experienced was in fact incorrect. Oh well, I guess that's what these forums are all about. Argue on mighty warriors, argue on!

By the way, Lacondeguy should have won Rampage, his run was way better than Kyle Strait's. Oh, and 650b are better than both 26 and 29, as long as they are tubeless and you are wearing baggies.

(ironic waving smiley)

18. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Less filling!

19. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    I love my BB7's and swear by them and believed they are the best brakes out there!!

Until someone offered to let me buy their Elixir 7 for my 29er!!! I love the feel and less strain on the fingers and effort to use the brakes and all things changed when I placed XT's on the 26er.

I still have both BB7's for keepsake or maybe a project for later.

20. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Some dude on the poker ride tried to tell me my Elixir 1s were just set up wrong and are no different than the SLXs. I said Avid should scrap the Elixir 1s on stock builds because it is giving their brakes a bad name. Most upgrade to Shimano because of such bad experiences from Elixir 1s.

And I agree. BB7s are great brakes. Especially for the value and super easy to adjust.