So I crashed Sunday

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by FatPossum, Apr 15, 2008.

1. FatPossum

FatPossum New Member

Auditor
    Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to share my crashing story with you all and ask some questions to the group- all feedback is welcome obviously.

I was riding at La Costa in San Diego on Sunday morning. I went off a small jump going moderately fast towards the bottom of a single track on the southwest side (I don't know the name of the trail since this was my first time out there). I don't have a good memory of what happened next except for that sound of impact with the ground that I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. I hit with my right shoulder first and then my head. My friend Matt and this nice guy on the trail, Scott, helped me and my poor bike off the hill. Thanks guys! I ended up with a fractured clavicle and a jacked up scapula.

So I am obviously really bummed out right now. Here is where I am looking for advice since I have never crashed this hard before.

My helmet has two nice sized dents in it but I don't see any cracks. Do I need a new one?

My handle bars are bent but not too badly, what should I do about this?

The doctor did not tell me how long to expect to recover. Is there anyone out there who has had a similar injury that can give me advice? :?:

Has anyone tried any holistic healing methods that they would reccommend?

I posted the pics of my shoulder in the carnage section if anyone likes that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Fat Possum
    :beer:

2. bajamtnbkr

bajamtnbkr Banned

Phone Guy
    Oh man, been there done that, helmet and handle bar have to go, no good after a mayor crash or bend, hope you recover soon.

3. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    NEVER EVER reuse a helmet that has been wrecked. I used to race cars and would cringe when I would see other drivers drop their helmets on the ground, especially since I paid like $400 for mine.

Bell specifically states that any helmet that has been in an impact should be replaced or at least inspected. In fact, they will inspect your helmet for free. I believe you have to send it to them. On impacts, they are meant to warp to take the energy out of the impact.

Glad to hear you are ok. Where is the jump you are talking about? Is it THE drop on NASCAR or another one? This trail is fast enough where I like to wear a full face and armor.

4. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Replace helmet
    Replace bars
    6 weeks before loading or using the side you fractured.

5. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

X4 on replacing the helmet and the handlebars.

The helmet foam is designed to crush on impact in place of your skull crushing on impact. Your helmet is done, but your cranium is OK--that's how it's supposed to be.

You've already crashed hard once. Do you want to risk a second hard crash when your dinged handlebar unexpectedly gives out?

I think Mario Andretti said "If everything seems under control, you're going too slow." Obviously, you're going fast enough! Take care of yourself and your gear, and we'll see you back on the trails soon.

6. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    SUX to hurt but like everyone else said at least you get to go shopping. Check out the Fox Helmet I just got one after putting a ding in my XEN and hands down the most comfortable helmet I have ever used.

Heal Quick

7. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    bummer man.

8. mouse jockey

mouse jockey i can't type the letter s

molecular researcher
    As others said, replace helmet and replace bars.

I am recovering from a broken clavicle that required no surgery. The average time for broken clavicles to fully heal is 6 months (full union). The average time for a bicyclist to ride again is 3 months (partial union). If you have no surgery you will have a large bump at the break. You will wear the butterfly sling for approx 2 months, for the first month, it's on all the time, except for showers.

My recovery story..... I started riding XC in 3 weeks and haven't stopped since. It's been 4 months for me now. Everyone, and I mean everyone I've talked to including my orthopedist says 3 weeks is a pretty incredible recovery time to be able to get on a bike and ride dirt trails. (Romero Canyon in SB was my first trail at 3 weeks. Up the fireroad and down the canyon. I rode with my sling.) Most, I've talked to, couldn't even imagine getting on the bike until after that 3 month threshold, the pain would have been too great. Of course during my XC riding, if I fell on my left side where the break is, I could have been really screwed (like punctured lung screwed) :eek:.

XC for me is like walking, yes I may fall walking, but it's pretty unlikely. Same for riding. I had no more pain riding with the broken collarbone than I had walking around the house or picking up my daughter. So, I calculated my risks, kept a close watch on any new pains, monitored my X-rays, took multi-vitamins, ate a lot of greens, drank a lot of milk, and here I am 4 months later, dropping 6 footers to transition with no ill effects. If I had any new or different pain I would have stopped immediately, got off the bike and declared my early recovery experiment over.

I do not recommend this as a course of action for anybody. As I've gathered more stories and talked to more friends who are physicians my results are extremely uncommon.

How was I able to ride and jump so soon without any pain? I dunno. My theory is that with most clavicle fractures, along with the broken bone, extensive muscle and some ligament / cartilage damage also occurs, but my damage was / is mostly a bone break with minimal collateral intrusion, so the pain was minimal.

So, that is my story....continue to talk to your doctor.

9. El Gringo

El Gringo ______________

Helmet - Giro?

If your helmet was a Giro, they offer a crash protection warranty. I claimed this late last year through REI and received 20% off a new XEN.

10. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    My helmet has two nice sized dents in it but I don't see any cracks. Do I need a new one?
    Yes. Helmets are designed to be used in a single crash displacing the impact through the padding inside. You may not see the damage but after a hit that hard it is better to be safe (I know I am guilty of not replacing my helmets after every impact though but it dose increase the rise for head trauma.
    Get used to it or buy a new bar.
    The doctor did not tell me how long to expect to recover. Is there anyone out there who has had a similar injury that can give me advice? :?:
    I ignore Dr advice anyways but I have never had those injuries
    Can't say I have

Hope you heal fast. Your crash sounds like you had a bit to much rebound in the rear shock 'cause I am picturing you going OTB. Unless you were on a HT and then your legs did not have enough rebound ;)

:beer:

11. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    of course!!

HECK YEAH!! (str appropriate language)

ONLY IF YOU WANT TO RIDE AGAIN

DON'T PUSH IT FOR A BIT

GUINNESS

?? THE Fat Possum? (maker of Fat Possum Ale)

Heal well and quick! :beer:

12. peewee2472

peewee2472 New Member

Hope you heal soon brada !!!

Your Handlebar <<<< click on the link

13. JimmyJ

JimmyJ New Member

Software Mgt.
    That's a bummer Joe...

Hope you heal up soon!

Looks like you will need a new helmet and bar, let me know if you need a shopping buddy, I love looking at all the goodies!

Rest up and heal up so you can get out in the dirt soon. It sucks that you are dinged up but at least tax season is over! :beer:
    Please let me know if you need help with anything.

JJ

14. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Sorry to hear about the crash. Yes, like others have said, replace the helmet and bars. It will be at least 6 weeks before you can really put force on your collarbone. I broke mine before and it takes 6 weeks for the bone to mend and a lot longer than that before it is full strength again. I have a broken rib right now and I'll try and ride next week, but it will be about another month before I can fall on it again without it breaking again, so I'll have to be really careful. Healing vibes to you.

15. tbowren

tbowren New Member

Sorry to hear about your crash. I'm six months out from a massively broken arm / shoulder injury. I was back on the trainer after 2 months and back on the trails after 3 months. Like others have said, you will have pain just walking around the house, so the pain on the bike won't be any worse. Just be extra careful and make sure you have enough strength in the arm that it doesn't cause another crash.

Stay safe! ( And ditch that helmet and bars!!!! Don't be an idiot and try to save $100 )

16. lardbutt

lardbutt I may be old, but I'm fat

Time to get on the trainer at the house and watch Breaking Away a few hundred times to stay motivated. :clap:

Use your "time off" to look for a new helmet and bars...

17. FatPossum

FatPossum New Member

Auditor
    I just want to say thanks to all of those who wrote back. Your suggestions and comments will be taken to heart. New bars & new helmet will be a must. Hope to to some of you out on the trail as soon as possible.

FP

PS - To those who know the trail, the jump was NOT on the NASCAR portion. I would like to ride that section one of these days though.

18. b5driver

b5driver New Member

Heal up fast. Hopefully you can get some riding in soon. I would second the trainer idea once you feel like getting on a bike again.

I can't imagine walking into the office toward the end of busy season in a sling/cast.

19. El Prieto

El Prieto New is the beggining

New halmet, new bars.... 6 to 8 weeks....

20. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    not sure what halmet is....must be something unique to El Prieto.....he is an unusual chap:?: