Snow Summit MTB Biking Projected to start Memorial week/STR Ride (merged)

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by proraptor, Apr 3, 2013.

1. riiz

riiz Member

Skyline is the singletrack behind Snow Summit and you can ride that now. The DH park will not be completed this summer.

2. OC rider

OC rider i need a motor

filmmaker, cameraman
    technically a bike park should never actually be completed. it will come alot farther this summer than most will assume.

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

The thing is for legal reasons I can't see how they can have the lifts servicing both the bike park while still allowing riders to ride the Forrest service trails. Once the bike park opens those Forrest service trails have to be considered out of bounds like they are in the winter . So unless they can build a full blown park with a number of options , I would belive from a legal standpoint they would have to keep things like it was last year this year.

4. OC rider

OC rider i need a motor

filmmaker, cameraman
    the trails are already there and semi burned in still from the 90's and 2000's. log chute, westridge etc will all be resurected. you can see the trails still exist, they just need to be cleaned up and revamped. trails will happen fast IMO. features who knows how long though. however SS has an amazing fabrication shop and can really build anything they want really fast too. its up to how fast they want it! i agree and id assume the old trails wont be lift serviced anymore. but it is open forest still. if you shuttle or pedal up you can ride whatever you want.

5. riiz

riiz Member

That will be a shame if they cut off lift service to the forest trails, they'll lose the hikers, tourists and the people that dont have a park bike.

6. sirsam84

sirsam84 New Member

Anyone know what's up with upper fallline? Last I heard, the FS had closed it and was doing "improvements." Hopefully not like the "improvements" they did to Pirates...

7. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

They were cutting trees last time i rode it

8. OC rider

OC rider i need a motor

filmmaker, cameraman
    ya. after the resort closed in oct i go wooding up there in that area. some heavy logging equipment F'd that area up pretty good. i did get some great rounds outta there for fire wood though. it was frustarting watching them destrpy a trail i love.
    heres some pics from today at summit. you can see there is only snow on the runs. and its only there cuz they push it around with snowcats to cover bare spots. once they stop that this weekend it well melt really fast! also this is the drainage ditch in the parking lot. its a river of snowmelt.

Attached Files:

9. Yangpei

Yangpei Member

Orthopaedic Surgeon
    Just curious if people have been able to bring up DH bikes with dual crown forks (regardless of weight). I am not a downhiller, but am building up a Jedi for occasional shuttle runs. It would be cool to be able to bring it up to Summit. It should be under 38 lbs, but would only have a single ring in front.

10. leondelmonte

leondelmonte Member

I wonder how much having a bike park here at SS will affect Mommoth's business
    If this park becomes what it needs to be, I will not be hitting mommoth at all

11. proraptor

PM sent

12. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Northstar seems to co-exist just fine with FS roads and trails, and you can haul any kind of bike up on their lifts (one of these days I want to throw my wife's Townie on there just to see what they say....). You can easily connect to FS roads from Northstar's trails. I've ended a day at the Northstar bike park by taking the lift up one last time, connecting with FS roads and riding back down to the lake. In addition, you can ride at Northstar without buying a lift ticket, although they do want you to have a "pedal pass" ($5, I think) to ride their trails without using the lifts. I haven't been to BB or used SS lifts, but I see no reason why SS trails and Forest Service trails can't co-exist. I can, however, see the FS cracking down on unsanctioned trails (if there are such things) if SS builds a bike park.

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

It's more of a CYA type legal issue. If there wasn't some sort of legal reason why would they create out of bounds area and clip tickets for going there. SS is not going to try to close any potential lawsuits.

14. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    what a sad sad snow season! Are you guys talking about the logging equipment set up/staged up by the top of fern? I do remember a crap load of trees on pirates were flagged and a couple weeks later that trail was closed for logging. Cant wait to go back

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

16. mtbkrazy

mtbkrazy Likes to Party!

Information technology
    I already have the camp sites reserved for my summer trips . Can't wait to get back up there ...

17. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
  18. OC rider

OC rider i need a motor

filmmaker, cameraman
    relax. i talked to "CS" the lead tractor driver. he doesnt even get off snow til april 20th, they still have photoshoots he needs to build for. its not gonna be a full fledged park yet but i got this in an email today. they are still figuring out what they are gonna do about passes and pricing. the normal snow pass not being used this season to me means there will be a specific pass.

"Snow Summit and Bear Mountain are now closed for the 2012/13 ski and snowboard season, however summer activities are right around the corner! In addition to the Sky Chair and Golf Course, we have some exciting changes in store including new purpose-built bike trails and a 1,050 foot zipline."

19. proraptor

Omg the zipline sounds sooooo fun

20. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

I saw that bit too. Hopefully it's more dh purpose. If snow summit needs help moving dirt for a bike park i'm sure we could get a small army up there.