Snow Summit Closed - Summit Fire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rollnstone, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Rollnstone

Rollnstone ...

I was planning on riding yesterday at SS, but ironically I needed to clear some trees and brush at my cabin. Saw the fire as I headed into town for a late lunch/early dinner. (Picture from Snow Summit Cam).

IMG_1955.JPG

Snow Summit had it's water guns spraying the trees to the West but they looked like squirt guns compared to the towering flames coming off the tops of the tall trees. The fire was still to the West of Snow Summit when I left at about 5pm yesterday. Today it looks like they are getting a handle on it (100 acres burned, 50% containment).

I guess this will put another 2 year delay in building the Green Trail, as the fire looks like it is right in the middle of the proposed trail. I believe it started near 2N08 was was moving East towards Snow Summit.

The Snow Summit website says they will be closed Monday and Tuesday (so far). Most trails/roads on the South side of the lake are closed (even to the West of the fire and including Skyline).

Was anyone on here riding there yesterday and had to leave early because of the fire?

2. bwgone

bwgone New Member

I'm camping up here across the lake. It looks like it's almost out. Good news. I think they did real good job on that considering the conditions at the moment. From what I can see it looks like pineknot and cabin 9 would be ok. Power line and dickies might have been in the burn area.

3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer