Small Bruise Appeared!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by MGW12, Sep 13, 2010.

1. MGW12

MGW12 Daddy, Please Slow Down !

Well I rode last Monday 9/6 & crashed pretty hard, hard enought to have to kinda take a moment. I got home and was looking for a mark..nothing, but man it hurt. I limped slightly that might and the next 2 days. When the wife touched my there I said..umm, ouch. Still nothing was there for two day..then all of a sudden this started to appear! ..heh-heh A Proud bage of a hard fall!

Attached Files:

2. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Territory Marketing Manager
    Hmmm... I took a hard landing on my hip out on San Juan Trail yesterday and could barely walk last night. I was suprised when I woke up that I didnt have a bruise..... apparently it may be coming later.

3. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Bruises are like that....I crashed once and it just seemed to keep growing....

[​IMG]
    Sat afternoon

[​IMG]
    Sunday morning

[​IMG]
    Monday morning

[​IMG]
    Tuesday morning

4. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

Holy crap! At least you have clean underwear. Take aspirin to thin the blood.

5. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    that last one almost looks like art

6. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

GREAT pics! Definitely wall art worthy!

I don't understand this. Aspirin will affect the platelet agglutination, not technically "thinning" blood, but making it take longer to clot, so more blood will leak out of the injured area, resulting in a bigger bruise or more bruising. In other words, instead of it taking you 1 minute to clot off (the bleeding to stop), it could take 2 minutes (slight exaggeration, but you get the picture). In fact, this is why aspirin is recommended for heart attack victims, to prevent further clotting of a damaged area of the vessel being blocked.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/daily-aspirin-therapy/HB00073

Of course, I'm no doc, so you may want to check with your medical provider.

I have a few friends who use Arnica to help heal bruises, but, again, I'm not a medical doctor. You would do best checking with your primary medical professional before starting any type of medical therapy and blah blah blah blah *disclaimer* whatever, this is the freeken internet. ;)

7. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

Only reason I say to take aspirin as I've heard the big giant bruises can cause clots to detach and cause a stroke. Could be bull$hit. I take aspirin for all kinds of stuff, but I'm old.

8. CMAY

CMAY New Member

Ouch! That looks painful; I've had similar injuries. Definitely a knee contusion the symptoms are tenderness to the touch, and mild pain:( The bruising will last for about a week .Just keep ice packs on the knee, rest and elevate the leg (Ace) elastic bandage wrap. Acetaminophen or ibuprofen can decrease pain and inflammation but, I forgot to mention that the knee might be tender for a while but, no pain.

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Ah, it's my understanding that the visible bruises are under the skin, most often then not in the circulatory system where they could break off into your circulation and cause stroke/heart attack, i.e. not as high a risk as you may think (not that it's not there, but starting medical treatment without talking to your doc may not be advisable, especially if you're going to put yourself back into a potential bruising situation, like riding) . Of course, some are at higher risk than others and there are other risks that can be associated with a large bruise.

As with anything, if you have any sudden sharp pain (head, chest, while breathing, arms, legs, etc), pain in the chest, sudden difficulty breathing, heat and swelling in the limbs, you should call 911 and get immediate medical attention.

10. MGW12

WOW..YOU all are tripping me out!
    ...Dang I just thought I had a simple bruise that would go away with time!
    ..shoot..you guys are talking heart attacks and strokes & not riding and physical thearapy!?? ...All I thought was "This is a cool bike mark/wound/badge" I gotta show this off! I am 51 years old and your saying I can have a stroke or heart attack from a bruise!??
    umm I ain't going to the doctor to tell him I have bruise. heh-heh

11. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I did go to the dr for mine but more b/c I wanted to make sure my kidney was ok (urine test was neg for blood platelets which aren't visible to naked eye I was told) especially since the bruise kept growing each day...

I have had 3 bruises in that same location to date....since the 1st one the other 2 have not been nearly as hard of contact (an bruise up as big but in shorter time frame) and I do feel permanent scar tissue in the muscle on a daily basis...

12. muddybike

muddybike New Member

I like to take the herbal remedy arnica anytime I know i'm going to bruise, and once a bruise appears. (the areas that bruise most on me are where I have fat stores, seems that places where its all muscle, I don't bruise much). Also, epson salt baths help get rid of the soreness too.

13. MGW12

I have to as, how do you "know you're gonna bruise"? I do not fall off my bike all that often and in 20 years of riding this was the 1st time this ever happened!I will say that I thing that main spot that took the main pop still feel a ever so slight tenderness ever once in awhile when I bump it. Almost like my brain gois oh that is still kinda showing me I bruised it.

....But serious thanks for the input & happy new year!