Slime

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Kid A, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    hey on sort of related topic to prior post (stans) any experiences with slime.

I have trip coming up for riding in AZ and told by many will have to slime to deal with thorns, etc.. Currently running tubes and while get a flat periodically no real issue to complain about. Don't run tires at real low pressure so no pinches and just dont see value at this time to convert to Stans. Also LBS mentioned that Stans take a bit to get good seal on bead for tires I am running Kenda Blue Groove (front) and Nevagal (back) and want to stick with these tires as I am real happy with them - anyone else running samw tires with stans and having issues?

That said will have to do something for AZ. I guess options include
    1) slime into my existing tubes
    2) replace with slime tubes although looks like size only up to 2.125 and my front is 2.35
    3) slime tire liners.

Heard some good/some bad on slime (heavy, rolls non-true, etc.) and same for slime tubes (tubes are poor quality)

At this point my sole motivation is to hopefully stop flats on a week of riding in AZ and probably "remove" upon return to cali.

All feedback appreciated on any of the above

Also hitting Sedona and maybe Flagstaff. have done some research on trails but if anyone has hit anything there please feel free to make suggestions

Thanks

2. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    I'm using slime tubes and have been on my Stumpjumper since I bought it in January. The only flats I've gotten were pinch flats and from glass that was too big to seal. I have only gotten three flats on the trail in over 700 miles. Two were pinch flats and one was from an unknown source on a totally overgrown singletrack when I was barreling through all kinds of shite on my replacement (read: thin) tube.

I'm beginning to think, though, about using Mr. Tuffy's. People say they're too heavy, but I use them on my commuter along with some thick thorn resistant tubes and I ride through all kinds of glass and metal stuff on the road. No punctures so far and I don't know that my wheels "feel" heavy. I'm mean, really, if you're not racing, what's a few hundred grams? This is recreation. I want to have fun riding my bike, not changing tubes. So, I might switch to tuffy's.

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I didn't get any flats in AZ but a few people did. Think you should be fine with the slime that you inject.

4. Kid A

working 4 da man
    thanks. u hit Sedona? Looks like maybe from vid. if so what trails?

5. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
  6. Kid A

working 4 da man
    Amazing pics:clap: but now all i can do after seeing those is think about my trip which is ~ 4 weeks away](*,)

hope to have some cool pics and vid to share upon return as well

7. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Stans takes a bit of work with Kenda's but worth it in my opinion. Von-Skip converted his without an air compressor but I think he got lucky. I run Blue Groove/Nevegal combo and it works great. No flats in AZ the whole time. The only flat I've had since converting has been a gashed tire on Trabuco. Allows me to run low tire pressure without pinching, and save weight as well.

I'm willing to bet you won't go back to tubes.

C

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Stans for me too. Slime didn't work that well for me. But I did have 9 holes in the tube. (I inflated the tube after I removed it and counted 9 different little green droplets. A few refused to stay sealed and the air would continue to come out).

9. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

When you go to Sedona, hit up the Bike & Bean. They can show you where all the mapped trails are and the ones the locals ride.