Ride Report Skyline Trail in Big Bear

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by redwoods, Aug 18, 2013.

1. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Different. That's the best singe word I can use to describe this trail - different from the rest of the stuff I ride. Different from anything in the Santa Anas, different from SART, different from [__insert trail name__].

The differences are mainly 2: constantly changing direction and constantly changing grade (reversals). I'm no speed demon, but this trail had few spots that allowed high speeds (by my standards). It is constantly twisting and winding, and the climbs/descents are short and end abruptly. Some of the climbs are a little steep, but they're so short that there's soon a recovery.

We've all read that this trail isn't finished, but it's definitely ready to ride. Mostly its the classic BB dirt: dark, powdery, deceptively loose in places. The trail is mostly smooth, but there are plenty of spots with medium-sized rocks, pea gravel, sand, boulders, exposed roots, etc. A couple spots proved tricky with wide bars, and low bottom brackets will have a number of opportunities for pedal strikes. One thing for sure, this trail is interesting. You can't zone out on any part of it - you don't have time before it turns or there's a feature to deal with. Hardtail bikes will do very well here, but I'd think a short-travel full-suspension bike would be ideal. In my opinion you won't need big knobby tires, even tho there are some sandy areas (including some sandy/loose switchbacks that climb/descend at the same time). Run whatever tires you want here, but I would recommend sidewall protection and tubeless setup. (My $20 Forte Pisgah from Performance did fine on the rear, and the Hans Dampf in front was way overkill.)

Having said all that, I LIKE IT! I put in a 26-mile route starting from the Bear Mt. side of 2N10, and while the total elevation gain wasn't very high for this distance, I got a great workout. While it's an easy trail in terms of technical difficulty, this trail does require above average fitness to enjoy. The views are spectacular (my poor pics don't do justice). The air is, well, air - and that's about it. Nice. The temps were cool compared to lowland areas. I started riding around 8 am and finished around 12 noon. Great riding weather up there.

I recommend people do this trail. 8)

My route: http://www.strava.com/activities/75698944 (I'm doubtful of the elevation number, but :?:.)

Finally, a few pics:

Skyline Looking East.jpg Skyline Looking South at Upper SART.jpg Skyline Looking West 2.jpg Skyline Looking West.jpg Skyline Looning East 2.jpg Thunderheads Above Mts.jpg

2. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Did You like east-west or west-east better ?

3. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    You know, I'm not sure. Based on first-impression, I think I enjoyed west-to-east more. Which is weird, because I was feeling a little tired/worked, and the temps were rising (not hot at all, just warmer). But both directions were fun...this trail seems well-designed and built.

At the west end of my route, Skyline (based on signs on the ground) turned back east and then north before reconnecting with 2N10. It's labeled "Forest Dream" on this map. That was the best part of the whole ride I think. It was fast, flowy, and beautiful. Next time I do this route, I'd do that little section 2-3 times before heading back east.

BTW, that map on SS web site is pretty far inaccurate now.

4. eteamer

eteamer Member

Fun Have'r
    I was up there today with my son for half day. But as you can see from your pic of the clouds, it let loose around 3. We had really good riding on MM, Cruiser and Westridge with the rain. We planned on making the Skyline-Pineknot-Town Trail loop last, but it was dumping. Can't wait ot do it when there's just a little bit of snow. They closed the lift around 3:30 because of lightining.

5. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Yeah that last pic of mine was looking back up hwy 330 at about 1:00 pm. The clouds kept getting bigger, and then I saw the flash flood warnings on TV this afternoon.

6. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Thanks for the RR and pics. After doing Skyline twice (both directions each time), I think I prefer East to West, but it's great both directions. The part east of Snow Summit is more fun going East (it's downhill that direction). It's a great all-around trail.

7. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Sales
    I like that trail too. Rode it a few months ago when it was half done.
    We just rode it again last week. Have you checked out Exploration Trail yet?
    That one is my favorite in that area.

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Having rode Skyline 5 times now I am ready to take my rigid single speed out there. That trail is ready made for that bike. It won't be the trail that kicks my ass as much as the elevation.

I was hoping that Kanga would post up about his meeting with the forest service. It appears that the CX trails a safe for the rest of this year while they concentrate decommissioning that out of bounds down hill trails near the lifts.

Find Trick or Treat every bit as much fun as Exploration.

9. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Very cool. Thanks for the strava link. Hoping to do this ride towards the end of summer/early fall.

10. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Redwoods nailed his description of this trail. Not super flowy; lots of tight ups & downs; great views - I'll make this a regular ride for sure. A few of the rock pinch points reminded me of portions of Tahoe Rim Trail. Going east to west you're riding under a constant canopy of trees for the first few miles. After Grandview Point, there are more rocks but nothing too intimidating. I dismounted a number of times to get a line and rolled everything but two easily. The fauna and dirt reminds me of the Grout Bay trail across the lake, just more fun.

Lots of little climbs and interesting rocks
    IMG_20130915_101304_348.jpg

You can see the old 2N10 fireroad on the right. That was my old standby to access Pineknot on other routes. The Skyline singletrack is right below and veers to the left. You can see the switchbacks up the hill along the rock line.
    smallbigbear1.jpg

I saw in another post that Eric also took in the Champion Lodgepole Pine. I've been coming here for 40 years and I never made it up there. It was an easy 2 mile fireroad connector to the tree from the end of Skyline. I followed local legend and rode around the tree for good luck.
    smallbigbear2.jpg

I was in an exploring mood, so I rode out a different way (1W16) and backtracked to ride down Forest Dream - a fun little ride too. From there it was a few miles of fireroad to Mill Creek Rd. and back into town.

As I got to Hwy 18 my phone rang with a call from my wife - the one who HATES riding. She borrowed her dad's commuter bike and road from Summit into town. We met at a nice little Mexican restaurant for tacos and beers - her treat. Good Luck indeed.

11. geek

geek Member

Anyone know the conditions of the trail right now? Snow, mud?

Taking the wife for a ride, was going to try Skyline. Whats the best route to take? (preferably with not too much climbing)

12. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I'm planning a Skyline ride tomorrow, starting from a cabin on Metcalf Bay. I assume it will be chilly, but a high in the mid 60s. That trail has so much DCG on it, I can't imagine it ever being muddy.

13. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    I recall some sections that are that loose, powdery (when dry) brown soil/dirt, as opposed to the DG. But I don't know how it is when wet.

14. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Don't know about current conditions, but I got caught in a thunderstorm on Skyline earlier in the summer. It was pouring rain for about 40 minutes and as others mentioned the DG drains very well so mud was not an issue.

15. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Great Ride Report and Pics my Brothah!
    Have not been to Big Bear in years...

When we riding together again?!?!?!?

16. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    the sky line trail was in good shape 2 weeks ago, have fun we spent 3 hours on it from pirates to pine knot alot of spots with the wife. enjoy

17. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Rode Skyline today from west to east. I intended to go up Plantation, but I missed the turn and went up 2N10 to what I thought was the start of Skyline. I turned left and should have turned right I guess. The trail was snowpacked and a little dicey at first, but then it opened up. This section felt like riding in Vermont with leaves, tree and loamy soil. Beautiful - but why am I only descending? Something's not right. Ended up dumping out on lower 2N10 again, so I turned right and headed back to the beginning of Plantation.

Up Plantation to Skyline and over to the top of Pineknot. Still a few snowy sections, but then most of the trail opened up and was fantastic! I didn't have much time to go farther, so down Pinknot I went. 90% of the way down and...what's this? A trail re-route? Ok. Tough little climb on a new trail. They added about a mile to the trail with some stout climbing and flowy descents.

Fun day - great weather - mostly awesome trail conditions. 2400' of climbing at 7500' of altitude. Beers and New Mexico green chile at the cabin. Hitting the lifts tomorrow!

18. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    ^^Have fun Chris, be safe!! I was almost gonna hit you up for a Aliso ride tomorrow... maybe next weekend?? Hopefully you can turn me into a super dh'er like you did Mo. : )

19. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    We seem destined to never ride together - I'm here, you're there, you ride during the week, I can't, I'm riding on the weekend, you're saving the world... Sigh... Truth of the matter is I am avoiding you so I won't be brought to tears with your diesel-like relentless climbing! (And equally relentless clatter, I'm told)

As for me teaching DH skills, well, do as I say, not as I do! Fun watching Mo "catch fire" but that's a function of his age and enthusiasm as much as any helpful hints from me.

20. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    I won't give up!!