Skeeter Eaters... how do i get rid of them?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by NipomoGuy, Mar 26, 2010.

1. NipomoGuy

NipomoGuy Tink's first sponsor

flying my mental jet
    All over!! so freaking many of them!!!

[youtube]9dQQFUr_5yg[/youtube]

2. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
  3. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    The lifespan of an adult is only about two weeks and their purpose is to mate and to die within a few days. There is debate over whether they even eat during their short lives or survive on food reserves stored in their bodies.....they are a huge food source for spiders and some birds

4. NipomoGuy

flying my mental jet
    lol, i would keep the doors closed, but there is no garage door

and it's pretty comical watching the cats go ape shit trying to catch the lil bastids.

They really annoy the hell out of me, constantly flying into my face... I'm gonna see if i can't grab one of those zappers tomorrow

5. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

I hate those, they always seem to be hanging out right at the door just waiting for me to go in so they can sneak in to my place too....

6. NipomoGuy

flying my mental jet
    my 3 cats just dispatched about 5 of them within the last 15 minutes... Get a cat 8)

7. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    I have heard that they are attracted to lights for the warmth and that they think its the sun. They are all over my pad too, but they stay near the lights. if you turn you lights off they tend to leave/land and die.

8. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Common Name: Crane fly
    Scientific Name: Varies
    Order: Diptera Description: Although some people think these flies look like Texas-sized mosquitoes, and they have also wrongly been called "mosquito hawks." Crane flies are large tan-colored fragile flies with long legs. Adults and larvae do not feed on mosquitoes. Larval forms of crane flies are grey-brown cylindrical larvae which may bear fleshy lobes on the (posterior) end. Occasionally, the segments towards the end of the body can be greatly expanded.
    There are many species of these flies that occur in Texas. The term "mosquito hawk" generally refers to dragonflies (Odonata), but could also refer to the large true mosquito species in the genus, Toxorhynchites (Diptera), which have larval stages that are predaceous on mosquito larvae.
    Life Cycle: Larvae are often encountered under layers of decomposing leaves in wet locations such as ditch banks in December and January. Adults emerge in February and March.
    Habitat and Food Source(s): Larvae have chewing mouthparts. Crane fly larvae feed primarily on decomposing organic matter. Adults do not feed. They commonly occur in moist environments such as woodlands, streams and flood plains although some species inhabit open fields, dry rangeland and even desert environments. In compost piles, they often occur on the soil surface below the pile of decaying vegetation. Some species have been reported to feed on roots of forage crops, turf grasses and seedling field crops. Usually their presence causes little concern because they are assisting in the process of decomposition. Larvae have not been reported to feed on vegetable transplants or garden plants in Texas. Adults have long slender legs which are easily broken and may be missing in some specimens.
    Pest Status: Large numbers of adult crane flies can be a nuisance indoors; medically harmless.
    Management: None, not generally considered a pest.

[​IMG]

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I guess thanks and no thanks?!?!?

10. NipomoGuy

flying my mental jet
    I'd rather not do it, but having over 100 EASILY in my carport is WAAAAAYYYYY out of control (More keep coming, I can't walk out of the house without one flying into my mouth) This is the worst they have EVER been

Just unboxed the bug zapper... zzzt! zzzt! zzzt!

11. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
    DM, thanks for posting that. What was your source there? LOL, I guess the joke's on me this time as I have been letting about seven out them live in my house for the last week or so. We don't kill anything in our house unless it bites, so I have been giving them their space thinking that they were taking care of the mosquitos for us in some sort of a symbiotic relationship. Oh well. I guess I will just try to trap them and get 'em back outside. #-o

12. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
    Hey, BTW, do some research on those things, as I have heard that they will typically zap 10 harmless insects for every harmful one that they get. :?:

EDIT: My parents have one, and if you look in the tray after a week you will notice that some of the "more spectacular light shows" were large native moths and not the mosquitos or crane flies (in your case) that you were intending to catch...

13. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Maybe try taking a bright lamp and plug it in outside of the garage. Turn off the garage lights and turn on the lamp and they should head on out.
    If they aren't harmful, why harm them.
    Oh, but do let the cats have at them!

14. NipomoGuy

flying my mental jet
    The bright light is what i use to work! they love that thing! They are just covering the lights! there are TONS of them, i only intend to use it while i am out there, so far, it's working pretty well. I really wish i didn't have to (Really!) but they are just running rampant all over the place! Call me a bug killer, but i have stuff to do (i ride during the day! ;) ) and these things have become too much of a nusance to bear. Thus far, no moths, no room for them, too many crane flies!

15. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    During the summers we would turn on the light at the top of our driveway so we could sit in the yard and watch the sky, relax, etc.

Might be worth setting a brighter one out & away from the garage.

16. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    Nip, sounds like you be having a BBQ, and ain't inviting anyone! What gives? I am so bumbed Dirtmistress destroyed my love of these ganglie creatures. No mosquito eating benefit = no place in my casa!

17. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Crane Fly, Jimmy Spinner, Golly Whopper or whatever you choose to call them they are real thick right now.:)