Single speed on a budget

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by COLEKO, Dec 21, 2007.

1. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    He did ride a 34 pound Iron Horse single speed at Daley
    [​IMG]

2. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

Can someone explain what i've been thinking and now what i see in these pics.

This guy converted his 05 stumpjumper into a SS without having to go w/ a tensioner. I didnt think it was possible to do? Maybe i'm not educated enough about this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. COLEKO

Home Page:
    I believe with the right gearing and by using half links it can be done.

4. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Yup, you have to find that "magic gear". I'm always a 1/4" short or too long. I've changed cogs and tried half links. I'm currently running 34:18 with a tensioner. I will not go to a 17 cog. Although I can clean the climbs in Aliso and even San Juan with the 34:18. My knees are paying for it.

5. katonk

katonk .

I have the same frame as that guy (same ugly color too), and I'm also running a magic gear. Mine is setup for the road at 42 x 15. The one disadvantage of this is that your chain will fall off when it stretches. It's true that you can use half-links, but they are very hard to find for your 8 or 9 speed chain. You could also try using a ghost ring, but the ring and chain may fall off when your chain stretches. Probably less of a issue for the road than the trail.

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

You don't need to run an 8 or 9 speed chain on a singlespeed. A common 1/8" chain works just as well (and makes finding half links even easier). It looks like that Specialized uses an 1/8" chains. And for some reason, if I look hard enough, I'd swear I see an old-school master link wrapping over the top of the rear cog. But I could be imagining things.

I'd say one "mistake" that Specialized has is that he's still using the ramped middle ring up front. Although it is functional, they are more prone to derail the chain. So we know that the front ring is a 32T. I'd guess the rear to be a 19T, but that's only a guess.

Also, many people will also take a rat file to the dropout to ovalize it a bit. This can give you a bit more room if you find your chain is too tight. Keep in mind that you can still over torque the rear wheel and move it within the dropout if you're just using a quick release. For this mod, it's best to convert the wheel to a bolt-on.

That Specialized is a beautifully simple looking bike, and it looks even better in its second life as a singlespeed.

7. katonk

katonk .

Sure. But a new chain would bring the cost up, as would new cogs and chainrings.

It's single speed on a budget, not ultra-bitchin' single speed goodness. :)

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I understand the point of building on the cheap. I also understand the pains involved when chains derail or break; I've broken and derailled chains on enough singlespeed bikes (including BMX bikes).

Knees and foreheads aren't cheap, either, and they're usually the first to be injured when you cheap out on doing the job right. I would have gladly spent 10 bucks on a chain and or a bit more for the right chainrings or cogs if it would have prevented the resulting crashes or knee bangs.

Riding a singlespeed puts a lot more stresses and strains on the drivetrain than you'd imagine. It's not worth the risk to not do the job right.

9. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

^^which my buddy found out yesterday when we were climbing to totw he snapped his chain on his SS conversion

10. COLEKO

Home Page:

Im going for the SS on a budget and being ultra bitchin ss goodness... OK never mind I just reminded myself its a Univega#-o:lol:.

11. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    Definitely don't cheap out on the chain. Sucks big time when you're mashing on a steep climb and the chain snaps. Nads on the top tube isn't a party. I've had good luck with FMF chains and SRAM PC 8/9. Dura Ace/XTR snapped on me twice and SRAM PC 1 wasn't very durable.

12. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Sometimes it won't matter with a new chain. My first singlespeed was a steel Diamond Back Apex from the early 90's that I converted in 2002. That old steel frame flexed so much laterally that after a few rides the bike would pull brand new chains apart. Knee banging city.

It was good to try SS thing out, but old bikes are old bikes. Making them into a singlespeed isn't always a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  13. COLEKO

Home Page:
    I bought a SRAM PC1 single speed chain. Now im worried about my nads. Ill give it a shot. If it snaps ill try something else.

14. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    Pre SSufferfest test ride

Yeah, we should workout any bugs before the SSufferfest. Having mechanical problems on big group rides sucks.

15. COLEKO

Home Page:
    I guess ill find out if ill have the same problem.

16. katonk

katonk .

Um... It's kinda a good idea to always be worried about injuring your nads.

Good advice to be sure. Injuries suck. A lot. You definitely need to maintain and replace your chain regularly on a SS.

17. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    Looks like I'm getting some Christmas Jenson bucks soon. I'm leaning Zion 737 EBB for now...

18. PacMan

PacMan New Member

You're a brave one to go 29er SS. Maybe try 29er geared or 26er SS first??

19. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    I'm not planning on climbing hElfin with it. What could be so bad?

20. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Well, SS'ing Hodges is alright, but SS'ing LPQ is lot's of work. On a 29er it'll be that much harder. Can you clean Powerline in 32:20 now? On a 29er, it'll be even harder.

I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice. I'd hate to see you build a bike you don't enjoy riding. Next time we're at LPQ, I'll let you roll my SS up Powerline or out of Tunnels. That'll give you an idea.