Single speed on a budget

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by COLEKO, Dec 21, 2007.

1. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    I don't think you will be thread jacking since the thread is for all SS builds. Keeps it cleaner I suppose.

2. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Ya, since you all are building "SS on a budget" makes sense to keep it all here. It makes it easy for the rest of us to check out the progress or answer questions if you guys have any all in one thread. Once you guys are done, start a new thread with pics of the finish product. Look forward to seeing them.

4. Simko

Simko Just lean back!

I got one
    I just installed that Forte single speed chain tensioner, Good luck. I had to bend the hell out of it to make it work. The spring tension was way to tight out of the box. The aluminum cassette lock nut strips easily so I tossed it and just used the steel Shimano one that came with the cassette. All and all it came together very good for the price. Looks like you have a fun project ahead. I just turned my old "sentimental" bike into a single speed. It was killing me to see my wife hang dry laundry on it . NO MORE WOMAN NO MORE!
    :bang:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  5. katonk

katonk .

I had problems with mine too, although mine had a Nashbar logo on it. It was on the bike for about 10 minutes before I tossed it. I was lucky enough to find a magic gear for my frame, so I don't use any type of tensioner. Now my bike tells me it's time for a new chain by falling off. #-o

6. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Ya, I'm super close to throwing the Crank Bros Acids on my SS. I slipped a pedal twice last Saturday while trying to hammer out a techy, off camber climb.

Also, I had the Forte kit with tensioner on my SS at first, since I started with a frame that had verticle drop-outs. The tensioner worked, but I still hated it. I went out and found a horizontal drop-out frame PDQ.

7. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    OK I found out its a threaded hub.#-o This site was great help.http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

So I either need to find a hub or go with a BMX free wheel and have the wheel dished for spacing.:-k

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Yeah, if that is the case, just do a BMX freewheel.

9. katonk

katonk .

Bummer. Maybe someone has an extra wheel they could sell you cheap?

10. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    Freebie

I have an ACS 20T freewheel for $0. I don't need it anymore since I have a freehub on my SS. You can usually find ACS or Shimano in 16, 17, 18, 20 for under $20. If you find yourself needing a 19T though, White Industries makes them, but they're not cheap.

Your geared bike will probably be seeing less and less time on the trails now. This is exactly how I started out 3 years ago. Welcome to the Dark Side. :lol:pM me if you want the freewheel.

11. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Good job Homie! :clap: :clap:
    Truth be told, the cost of the build could have been MUCH lower! He could have picked up some "nearly new" FLATS at the Swap Meet for $10. Instead, he chose to treat himself to some NEW Wellgo MG-1's. May go on the SS, may go on his hardtail.... may even go on the FR bike I want him to purchase!:-k Same is true for a few other parts "on the table."

For those who don't know Coleko, he rides with us on the Loop EVERY Thursday. He and I ride together 2-3 times per week. The improvements he has made on a bike since the first time I rode with him are nothing short of astounding! What else?:-k He used to weigh 260lbs. He now weighs 160. :-k He plans on competing in his first XC race in 2008! He is super smart. Etc. Etc. Etc.

As with many of us, he has been bitten by the BIKING BUG.....:bang: Can't wait to see his next project!

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Coleko, I have some Titec Hell Bent 1" riser bars (25-1/2" wide) and a 17-tooth thread-on freewheel that you're welcome to have. Since it says you live in La Mirada, you're right down the street from me. We could easily meet at Beach and Malvern. Let me know!

BTW, I think with a thread-on freewheel, your chain alignment is going to be very poor, unless you can get that chainring very far inward (such as a 26T mounted to the very inner ring position).

Also, if you want a slight upgrade to your brakes, I have some Avid Shorty 4 cantilever brakes you can have (hey, at least the pads are newer than the ones on that bike).

13. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Lee- You ARE the Man! :clap:

14. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

I have a geared 29er with vertical drop-outs, does anyone know if you must install a different type of BB, e.g., EBB to convert to a singly speed or would something like a chain tensioner be sufficient? Thanks!

15. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    Tensioner

Tensioner would be the quickest and easiest (cheaper too) way to convert to a SS unless you have the "magic" gear.

16. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    This is a really cool thread, can't wait to see all the bikes. Coleko glad to see the bike is finally coming together, maybe now I'll be able to keep up with you on the loop for a little while.

17. capnsavem

capnsavem DAN THE MAN

Desk Jockey.
    do 1x9 builds on a budget qualify for this thread? :-k

18. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    After a bit of reading online I might be able to get the chain line strait by redishing the wheel and spacing the hub. Im still not sure this will work.

19. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

It should work. The only challenge is if you run out of threads toward the center of the axle for the cones. If that turns out to be a problem (which I doubt), you could always pick up another axle.

Another possible challenge is if there is enough threads on the spokes to pull the rim over. This is not likely a problem, but it can be a problem.

20. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Thanks Foo for the donated seat post. I'm a little bummed cause my old Giant wheels use rim brakes and the hubs won't adapt to disc brakes for the SS. If anyone has some for sale, let me know! A fork as well!