Single speed..... Lower Back Pain!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Dino Brown, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

It has been about a month since my single speed experiment began. I love it! To be honest, it has proven to be much EASIER than I was expecting.

A problem has arisen that concerns me! While climbing for an extended period of time (usually towards the end of a ride), my lower back MUSCLES begin to fatigue.

I had put MANY MANY MANY miles on the bike (when it was a 3X9) without any troubles. I have never suffered a back injury. Never remember having muscular back pain while riding. The bike has bar ends- which I use religiously. I LOVE to climb while standing. Haven't changed the stem length. The only change has been the removal of all (but one) gear.

Standing in place relieves the pain. No pain after the ride. No pain the following day. No pain while sitting.

The reason I am SOOOOO concerned: While riding my geared bike on Saturday- the (muscular) pain returned! #-o

Is this common to single speeding? Any ideas.... recommendations? Exercises?

2. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

You may be using different muscles more than you would on the 3x9. Standing climbing while on the ss tends to put a lot of stress on your legs, which can radiate up your back pretty easily. I used to have the same problem when I rode my ss.

I could suggest doing some core strength exercises (planks, etc) to improve your core muscles.

3. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    It could be your hamstrings screaming at you. When they tighten up, they'll pull on your lower back.

4. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I'm not any expert on SSing, but I have way too much experience with back pain. I agree about core strength, but I'll add that it may also have to with stretching. It could be that all that standing climbing is tightening your hamstrings, hip flexors, or glutes in ways you're not used to. Tightness in those areas can create added stress or muscle pain in your lower back.

edit: Umm...yeah, what dubjay said! That's what I get for taking my time.

5. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    Maybe you just need to get used to it. I know when pushing bigger gears and standing up on the climbs its more strenuous(sp?) on the body so a lot of the muscles you normally don't use going 3x9 are then suddenly used on the SS. After the potato mountain climb I think I'm ready to go SS. You wanna help me turn my bike into SS Dino? :wave:

6. klutter

klutter Member

Spend more time on the SS, less time with the gears.

7. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

Try lifting the bars a bit and sliding your saddle forward more on the rails. And as others have said.stretch stretch and stretch more. Hope it gets better.

8. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Probably what Jesse and Steph are saying about using different muscles. Pushing a bigger gear than you're used to stresses your back a lot. Both sitting and standing.
    Higher rise bars usually help. 29" wheels help too :bang: b/c you can be further up and out of the saddle and not worry about spinning the rear wheel b/c of the greater traction.

For now, I'd try stretching and strengthening your lower back and ass muscles and maybe try a lower gear ratio or not riding the singlespeed back to back days. There's a great stretch for your glutes in which you sit in a chair, cross one leg over (with your ankle on top of the other leg's knee), and pull the crossed foot towards you. While pushing the crossed leg's knee down. Works great. I'll try to scan a pic of it.

Sitting and spinning too much makes you weak in many ways.

9. klutter

klutter Member

oh...and don't buy into that 29 crap ;)

10. singleminded

singleminded I poached, and got busted

Something I don't like
    I get it all the time......especially when I am not getting enough miles....you will get used to it. Just keep going

11. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Haha, DB owned a 29'er Iron Horse SS. The STR guerrilla marketing blitz would be downright insane.

12. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Jessie, I wouldn't change your ONLY bike to SS. Go on a few rides with me and I promise, you'll be glad you have gears. ;) But your right about using different muscles. SSing is great for strenght, but can be also be bad if not done right. Dino, that frame is too small for you. I've got a HT that you will like. I'll bring it Thursday.

13. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    dino I have the same problem do core exercise especially situps and sstop every know and then to streach and touch your toes, etc different quick streaches. Alot of your back support comes from your abs.

14. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Double that, work on the abs.

15. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    What Steph said. There are two things that helped me Dino. I changed to a shorter stem and a wider low rise handle bar and I've been concentrating on core strength exercises at the gym. I also adjusted my seat to bring myself slightly closer to the stem which helps my back while pedaling seated. Also, I'm not much for clipping in but that might help you more than flats will.

16. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    I've been having pain when SS'ing, but it's more around my chest. It feels like I have an elephant sitting on it. Oh, and a shooting pain in my left arm with a numbing sensation.

j/k, but this SS thing can be brutal :)

17. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I too notice lower back muscles get pretty tired.
    I do Pilates 2/3 times a week so my core is pretty strong but the back still gets really tired.

Mostly I notice it in the car on the way back from the ride after a god time on the SS.

Chances are that is it your psoas muscle.
    This is a pretty complex little bugger (see image) so you might try stretching this area.

Attached Files:

18. klutter

klutter Member

...2 wrongs don't make a right.

19. thephat

thephat Active Member

Make sure you are bending at the waste, try not to bend your lower back. It may feel kind of like your sticking your butt out... Stay relaxed, and isolate all that effort on the muscles that are doing the work.

You may need a longer/lower front end. Work on having various standing pedaling positions so that you can change it up if you are feeling stiff, or some muscles get tired. Try staying seated more. You would be amased how slow of a cadence you can push if you sit and stay patient and relaxed on your ss.

20. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Going to spin class is a great way to practice your form while seated and standing because it takes all the other factors out of the equation. We do a lot of hovering and also 'running' in our spin class, and I think it helps a lot.

+1 on what Tani said about trying to sit more. I know it's really hard (I used to push a 2:1 gear combo on my ss) but it will help you get stronger.

Also