Shorts, what kind do ya got?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by i am dino, Mar 21, 2005.

1. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I have a pair of FOX Mid-Rangers and they are pretty good. The padding seems adequate and has held up well for about a year or so.

After this weekends ride, I have concluded I need to get another pair of shorts. I was wearing my DV8's, which only have a really crappy chamois for padding and it has detached itself from the liner of the shorts, right on the butt area, making for a miserable riding experience.

I have heard good things about NEMA and saw that Performance had a pair of "JEWELS" on sale and am contemplating get a pair. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on these?

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    You just need one of the huge ass seats with the big springs on it.....screw the new shorts :wave:

3. Ciaran

Ciaran New Member

Home Page:
    I use a pair of padded undershorts and some baggy shorts I picked up at Target. I also have a pair of Azonic DH shorts. Nice but very flashy.

4. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

i wear the sausage casing type. i've gone from tight to baggy then back to tight again, just a matter of comfort and breathability, and less snagging on the seat.

Pearl izumi microsensoer shorts are the best ones, but they come at a steep price

5. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    I just wear running shorts or board shorts. I hate spandex and i cant afford padded baggy bikie shorts.

6. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. I just can't get myself to rock a pair of spandex/lycra style shorts. Trunks/Boardshorts are ruled out also.

Im looking to get a pair of baggies with a nice pad. I saw a brand I'd never heard of on the Performance site as well, "Bellweathers" (sp?) They look to be alright. So far, Im leaning towards those NEMAs.

7. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    how muc $$

8. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    I use trunk/boardshorts. I just buy one size smaller than my normal ones and wear my usual boxer-briefs underneath. If its cold out i wear my running tights also. Don't rule them out unless you've tried 'em, I can't find anything better. Make sure you dont get the normal/baggy boardshorts though. I've had my normal ones get caught on my seatpost clamp and undo it (not fun). And they're perfect if you ever get caught in some rushing water :lol:

9. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Sorry holmes but if you want comfort you gotta go with a pair of your "favorite" tightie-butt-huggers (there's a reason why all those gay roadies wear them). At least put them underneath your baggys during the cool weather and feel the love. And don't forget the chamois-butter (I use vasoline).

10. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Bret you could always try some "ScattantGAY" lycra shorts underneath a pair of baggies....maybe that would help. You'd just have to get one or the other without a chamois pad so you don't have 2 pads. I have a pair of the Nema Crown Jewel and it is a very comfortable (but expensive) pair of shorts. They are tearing by the waistband so I don't wear them anymore though  :(

11. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave
    I own one pair of shorts for cycling, I just wash them every week. Worth every penny for sure.

I wear blue Oakleys that have little zippers in the front that open vents when it gets hot. They have a built in semi tight short inside to hold them in place and to kep whatever out of your pants...
    Downhill shorts I think, but hey, who cares?

Under that I wear "compression shorts" I used to wear for football. They're fine, just don't include the cup.
    You can get them at places like Big 5. They're in the baseball section.

the oakley's are great.

12. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

i like pearl izumi's and fox shorts.

But, if your ass was that soar on maple springs you might want to check out a new seat.

13. mtnbikerdude87

mtnbikerdude87 Huh?

I have the REI Epic shorts. Pretty comfortable shorts and has some nice padding. I still have my Fox High Frequency shorts but I picked up those REI ones because they have pockets. Both are great shorts.

14. i am dino

i am dino Guest

My seat is okay, its an OEM WTB SPEED V (5) I pulled off a Giant NRS from my LBS. (have friends who work there who gave it to me). Anyhow, when I wear my FOX shorts my ass doesn't hurt like it does when wearing my DV8s.

15. TheFarLeft

TheFarLeft New Member

GPA Slave
    I love that seat. :bang:

16. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

i used to wear compression shorts under my lycra shorts, that kept me strong for a long time. i used to use them when i raced or did long rides and it helped.

17. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I love my Nema Crown Jewels. Although I wish they made all bike shorts in a greater range of sizes.
    I especially love them as factory seconds at $10.
    Gotta love living near the warehouse...

For huggies, the Voler shorts on MTBR are the most comfortable shorts I own. Pearl Izumi's are great as well.

18. DeadlyStryker

DeadlyStryker New Member

school
    my ass hurts :( riding every day does a number on a crappy seat... i think i have a WTB Laser or something..

19. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

20. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker New Member

Account Manager
    Fox High Frequency, Pearl Izumi baggies, and a couple pair of Azonic freeride shorts. I usually wear the first two because of the built in padding. Someone bought me some zoic baggy shorts for Christmas a few years back and they were the worst shorts I've ever used.