Seriously?????

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by DirtymikeTDB, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

EVERYONE KNOWS.....NOONE CARES......Every single website/forum board talks about it ALL THE TIME.

Can I at least be told why?

It just baffles me that a forum that is dedicated to SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TRAIL RIDING..... is the only board that wont talk about it. Seems I cant even post up a video riding there...

Sorry, but this is a crock.:beer:

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Maybe becasue your title makes it sound like its a illegal trail. We all know that if you post a vid, RR, question about an illegal trail it will get deleted. Sure that trails not technically illegal and it gets talked about but the title you had made it sound different.

I am just guessing.

3. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
    This is pretty vague, but I'm guessing I know why... IT'S BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL!!

4. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Since I'm not the one that deleted a thread of yours I can't say for sure what the reason was, but if someone posts about riding an illegal trail it will be deleted. It does not matter if everyone knows about it and everyone rides it. Please read the Posting Guidelines they are a sticky in the General Discussion forum. These are George's rules and the Moderators simply follow those guidelines.

5. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Was this the "Trail that no one dares to name" thread?. If so, I liked the vid. you posted.

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I know the guidelines.

I posted about a ride, Of eff it I will just say it.

I posted a video with us riding webb canyon.

Its not illeagal to ride there, people just wont talk about it here. Its like its some serious massive secret that everyone just happens to know about.

7. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    wow! that was deleted. that got me.....confused.

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    You can post and talk about that trail on those other websites. This site was started by people that mostly rode the trails in Laguna. At first pics and rides of illegal trails was not a problem. Then things started changing here in Laguna and the land-managers started getting much more aggressive and threatening so it was thought best not to add fuel to the fire. So a no posting or pics of poaching policy was started. It is a lot easier to mange a no tolerance policy than it is to OK a post about that legal ride but not that one. I hope you try to understand that the goal is to not poke the proverbially eye of the man it does not get us what we want down the road.

Ride whatever you want send your friends and family all the pictures and videos you want. If you want to see what could become of our riding in So-Cal just look a little farther north to the Bay Area where they routinely hand out tickets for speeding on the trail and poaching. Here is the latest example.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=522034

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  9. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Rule #1: Nobody talks about W**BC****N...

Rule #2: NOBODY talks about W**BC****N!!!

If you don't follow the rules, we'll take your balls. :p :D :p :D

10. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Coming from both a mountain biker and land managers perspective, I can tell you how open posts and video's about non sanctioned riding impacts our sport.

Land managers know these trails are getting used, and constantly battle users who move brush piles and tear down signs.

But one thing the various user groups all seem to share in common is that they always try to impress on the land managers that it is only a small minority of the users who use these closed areas and cause problems.

But when these trails get openly posted on these boards with people calling for scheduled group rides, posting up post ride reports, photos and videos of the illegal trails..........it sends a different message than what the land managers are hearing.

It starts to send a larger message of open acceptance of these actions by the bike community, which is contradictory to what they are hearing from the riders who meet with them.

Basically when these show up on websites and stay up for days or months....then get post after post from people supporting the riders; it's difficult to then convince the managers that it's only a minority group using non-sanctioned trails.

When posts of non-sanctioned trail use get pulled, the land managers who view these sites (which is pretty much most agencies), do get a better impression of a bike culture that is trying to manage their own and change their image.

Just my .02 from what I hear and see from the land manager's end.

Thanks!

Edit: I don't know what the original post was about or what trail it discussed; but in general.....it does reflect better on the sport if posts regarding the use of these areas are pulled.

That being said.....it's a different story if it's open dialogue about the what, how, and why some trails and areas are deemed off-limits, and involves open discussion about opinions of how to work for change. Open debate is always good IMO, but simply posting about riding an area that everyone knows is off-limits does not really set a positive mode for our sport.

11. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    yea and some kid was fighting with me over PM about not naming it.. and told me to edit the video if i dont want anyone know where it is because it was showing street name .. i told this kid dude its not me who made the video.. and he keeps on fighting over it.. I just think thats pretty silly he disrespect that we want to keep it secret.. although he thinks he knows more.. It is illegal although he said he would show everyone this trail.

12. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^clear as mud.

thanks adam and dean. i've lived in the bay area and seen people ticketed, as well as parks close for months because the tickets weren't working. it's a "big picture" issue. and i don't think it's reached the tipping point in socal yet, but it's close...

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

OK, I am going to ask, Since when....is webb canyon Illeagal to ride? The ranger up there told us its legal to ride, just dont cut on unmarked trails.

I have a grand Idea for keeping trails open.

Rule number one
    When driving in the area for a shuttle. FOLLOW THE SPEE DLIMIT
    two
    keep peace with the local, be friendly.
    three
    Clean up after yourselves
    four
    WATCH THE LANGUAGE NEAR THE SCHOOL.

Its not the riding that is going to get the place closed, its peoples behavior.

Sorry, but I dont agree with the "lets keep trails open by not telling anyone about them" idea

I am more for the lets get active and find a way to fix the root reason why a particular trail might get closed.

The locals have always been super cool with Me and whatever group I have been riding with up there, then again, we have always been super friendly, always say hello, always ask how people are doing.

I fanyone really thinks this place is a secret, maybe they should tell the 20-40 people that are there any given Saturday.

SOrry, it just doesnt make sense this....dont talk about, you have to be special to know about it policy.

14. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

alright.. here we go..

15. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    One of the best ways to get a trail closed is to ask about whether or not the trail is legal or not. The same argument has been going on for years about who really manages Telonics and it's status. If you want to continue to enjoy riding out there it is best to keep it on the lowdown. Sure maybe the land owner has no problems with riding on his property, maybe the neighbors are not complaining right now...that could change very easily.

Dean

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Mike not to argue but I am sure that not all of what we ride is legal. Sure most of Webb Canyon is legal but we do have to cut through private property to get to our cars. Like I said I am not sure it technically legal nor technically illegal, kinda grey area in my opinion.

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Really? well if someone was harrassing you about a video I made..... That I apologize for.

18. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

no worries.. that dude think he knows everything.. I would have posted the whole convo on here but i dont feel like putting out drama.. ingore them stupidy people anyway.

19. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Yay, post him up. Let´s get some real drama going down :)

20. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I was the one who deleted it. I received a PM reporting the post. From your own title it seemed you were hiding something. I've never ridden there and don't know it's actual status legal or not. I was told it's not.

By following the posting guidelines set by George who owns this site, it's gone, no questions asked. I don't care what the other bike sites post. I only moderate this one.

There are many guidelines broken daily(off topic post, non PG-13 pics) and we Mods let a lot slide. One thing we have been consistant on is the posting of Illegal trails or post that is disrespectful to another member of the boards(links, pictures or rants). Do those 2 things continually and you'll find yourself banned. Have a nice day! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.