Seriously? Still F'd up?!

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by El Immigrante, Sep 8, 2013.

1. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    With revenues from The Path, Fullerton Bikes, Jenson, miscellaneous banners and free labor, I'm sure STR generates enough revenue as a pretty decent secondary income. I'd buy it if the price is right, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

2. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    Flat out incompetence at the top. We all agree the moderators are top-notch and not enough thanks can be thrown their way. Anyone remember socalmtb.com? The future of, or lack there of, this site will be the same. Thanks for nothing George.

3. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Well wait a minute... George put a lot of effort into this site for quite a number of years. He turned into a thriving on-line brotherhood (and sisterhood) of mtb enthusiasts. He kept with it even after he moved on and got a real job. If the site is salable, then hopefully he will have enough pride in the site to sell it to someone who is interested. I can't imagine that it would generate enough income to justify the amount of time it would take to properly administer it though. Add in the dealing with trolls, whiners, and hack attacks!

This site serves a completely different need than say mtbr or pink bike or that ilk - they serve a purpose and do great job of it. This site has accomplished something just as important but completely different, precisely because it is moderated by the best of its users and otherwise left mostly to itself.

So if this one dies I expect (hope) another will eventually show up to take its place.

4. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    FFW got it right. George put a lot of effort into this site in the early days...but honestly, it has seems to have languished for the last couple years.

The frustration now is that it's been a few weeks and there's no communication as to whether things are going to be fixed, or that it's time to move on. I know that for me STR is dropping lower on my radar, and this site has been a big part of my life for years. I'm very nervous what STR would become were it passed on/sold; I just hope we don't have to deal with a slow death.

George: is there any hope, or was the site too damaged to fix?

5. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    I thought Mods were closing threads in regards of Site being F up, there is one thread open for discussion. We talked about this already (and its freaking Sunday) ?

Thanks Gene, for your input.

6. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I'm merging this with the one that was already started, but updating the title to this one.

You're welcome Mario. FYI: I haven't closed or deleted any threads in regards to site being F'd up. I just continue to move or merge threads as needed, answer PMs or delete post that are reported due to breaking posting guidelines which a very few if any of late. I may close a thread if one already exist or a duplicate and doesn't have any or few replies.

There's been lots of issues with the site even after the 1st Malware, the calendar got messed up which s why members started to use the Trailhead Forum to post rides when in the past we simply posted an event in the calendar and people would RSVP. Then came the 2nd Malware where the site crashed and affected computers of members and the whole look of the home page had to change. The subscribed to thread and PM notifications to receive emails also stopped working, lots of photo albums lost, the way you load pics had to change and now this.

7. suicidesam

suicidesam New Member

a smut site? :D

8. jasonmason

I was just thinking even more LCD-centric than it became in the last couple of years.

9. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I know of at least one offer a little while back. It's a shame it wasn't acted on. C'mon, George - If you're too busy to keep this site running and fresh, turn it over to someone who will. You've invested too much to see it die a slow, shameful death.

10. jasonmason

So...any word?

Dino & Gene, is it radio silence to you guys too?

11. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

Is this how its gonna be from now on?? This place is not easy to navigate anymore. All the features that made it easy to see what was going on are gone.

The owner should shit or get off the pot. No Offense....

12. genusmtbkr5

I don't know anything Tim. Just waiting around to see if anything is going to get done or not like the rest of you. I'm not sure if this is worth sticking around for anymore to be truthful.

13. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Feel free to move on....George does this site for kicks...if he is to busy to take care of quirks etc then so be it....but to berate him b/c you feel inconvenienced b/c a message board you don't help run isn't working to your satisfaction then leave...

OR

You can just deal w/ the small issues and be thankful you even have a site to meet new riders/schedule rides/chat about biking and more...

14. Andy

Andy Member

Googling "vBulletin hosting" brings up a bunch of web hosting companies that host vBulletin forums

The only reason I say this is, it can be a pain in the arse to admin and/or apply patches/updates if you're not a slightly techy

Perhaps moving the site to a company that apply patches for a little extra on top of a hosting fee would be worth it? (And yes, I know there have been offers of help)

And to cover hosting costs, why don't the LBS's chip in and sponsor? That would work out to be very cheap advertising

The domain name is registered until 27-Oct-2014

Forum software is like swiss cheese with regards to security holes...
    If its been hacked once, chances are it could be hacked again

Hopefully this will be viewed as the constructive post its meant to be!

15. genusmtbkr5

Scott no offense bro, but I have to to agree with Adam(Albacore) here. Since 2007, I have spent thousands of hours moderating and trying to keep this site running smooth and to get no replies back when I send a PM shows no regard for one of the original Mods who stayed on after so many have bailed long ago. Dino is just as frustrated with the lack of communication. I'm pretty sure Dino or I would update this thread if we had info to share..., the thing is we don't.

They do pay for the banner adds, which no longer appear except for in the Fullerton Bikes forum. They also have the right to post shop sales in their respective vendor forum and not be considered SPAM.

It's been hacked at least 4 times since I came on board as a Mod in 2007. Changes were made in all those instances. Some small and some big changes as to the overall look and features of STR. STR 2004
    is way different than STR 2013, some good and some not so good, but we've all learned to change along with it. Many who did not like the changes through the years have moved on.

16. melster

melster Member

Software
    I'm tempted to set up a new website and forum.

17. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Build it and they will come......

18. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    If you have the Resources for the Task, why not.

19. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    Someone did, it's called Facebook. ;) (winky face) There is also PinkBike, BikeForum, mtbr, yahoo! used to have a forum...

20. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Never heard of it????