Ride Report Sequoia National Forest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by dstepper, Jul 28, 2008.

1. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    camp nelson

i remember going up to camp nelson in the late fifties. is this trail near the cabins if they are still there. my dad and i would spend a week there painting all the cabins and then do a little fishing. great work on the trails.:clap:

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

Yes lots of cabins in Camp Nelson, camp Nelson trail goes from Camp Nelson to Quaking Aspen. The trail we are talking about is Summit Trail, the section from near Jordan Peak down to Quaking Aspen.

Dean

3. kanga

kanga Active Member

OK Jeff.. thanks for bringing me back down to earth.... like gravity wasn't enough to do it or something... :)

But I did have successful runs, not caught on video:

[​IMG]

4. saltdog

saltdog full face member

teacher
    I must commend jeff for his vision... I was a bit skeptical of this log ride, the last 40 feet or so is suspended and moves around a lot, so you gotta be smooth. It was a rush to get first tracks on this one!! Thanks jeff and steve for the grand day of wood collecting, trail building and log riding. Now thats what I call multi-tasking!!

5. jfsh

jfsh chainsaw and shovel

teacher
    More work

I have been up on that trail a few more times in the last few weeks. My buddy Dave and I went up and did a bunch of work and scouting. We also brought our bikes so we could sample the goods. There were a few stunts that I had built but had not ridden yet. First we hit the diving board log.
    [​IMG]

This one I had done before but it was a first for Dave. We headed down a mile or two and saw a bear up ahead. It scurried off before I could get the camera out. Next we got to this stunt.
    [​IMG]

We gave it a go. It was no problem. It worked just like I had hoped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we came to the big one that I was a little worried about. It is a big log ride across a creek. In the middle of the log your wheels are about 8' off the ground. The onramp concerned me a bit to because it was a little steep. Dave was willing to try it first.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No problem. He did it first try. I went next and was successful as well.
    [​IMG]

After that we rode back up the road to the truck. We finished the day exploring on the North end.

On Labor Day my ride plans with the Krankin Kiwi fell through so I headed up to put in some new trail. I wanted to clean up the last section that I worked on and push the trail all the way up to the Jordan Peak lookout road.

I started by cutting a few trees from the trail. I had my eye on a big log that I wanted to make a log ride out of.
    [​IMG]

I built a ramp up onto the log. This will be a good one to try.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also put in a jump over a log.
    [​IMG]

I worked my way up the trail and into an area where the trail was gone. Fire had taken out the area many years ago and the recovery efforts destroyed the trail. I could find the trail at the 2 ends so I put in a route between the them. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to try this stuff out. Don't worry Dean, there are ways around all of the stunts.

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Wow! You've been busy. Can't wait to check it out.

C

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Thanks all the hard work and for looking out for me. Only a few more days until the weekend, looks like it is going to be warm up there.

Here is a pic of your first ride on the log over the stream. Did you make transitions on both ends?

Dean

Attached Files:

8. jfsh

jfsh chainsaw and shovel

teacher
    Yes

Yes, transitions on both ends. You can ride up onto it and ride off the other end.

9. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Good job!

Nice work, Jeff... it looks like you have been busy!
    It must truly be a labor of love. I'm looking forward to seeing it first-hand this weekend. :)

10. jfsh

jfsh chainsaw and shovel

teacher
    That is very true. I really enjoy going out there and building this stuff. There is nothing like seeing a possible stunt, building it, then riding it. I am also pumped to reclaim all this beautiful, yet forgoten trail. Now it just needs some traffic.

11. shrimpboy

shrimpboy gottakeepmovin

Hey Jfsh,

We stayed at R ranch this past weekend. I wish I had chance to meet up with you and ride those trails. We walked around the Trail of a 100 giants an I kept seeing all the possibilities for stunts. One of the best parts of the trip was the last round at Kernville Brewing Co. The Just Outstanding IPA was great.

Maybe next time...

Rod