Self Imposed Injured List

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by MTBMaven, Dec 15, 2007.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I think I need to put myself on the injured list. The weekend of Thanksgiving I rode from Pasadena to San Diego, 145 miles. Towards the end of the ride my left Achilles started hurting. This is a reoccurring problem for me on long rides. I have not had problems since getting my road bike professionally fitted in the spring.

My Achilles hurt pretty badly for about a week. During that time I walked a bit weird and put stress on my right ankle. So as my Achilles got better my ankle got worse. Things were starting to feel pretty good and then something popped in my ankle while running down a hallway the other weekend. I have done two short road rides at a very slow pace and this doesn't seem to have been a good idea. In order to heal properly I think I need to not ride for a few weeks.

This really sucks because my new 29er build is 99% complete and I still need to complete my December century for my Century-A-Month challenge. :( 10 centuries completed, only 2 more to go.

Unfortunately I need to take the hit now and fully heal so I can train in January for my first double in February. I just hope taking 3 weeks off will do the trick.

2. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I wouldn't worry about training specificaly for the double. You've ridden enough that it's probably going to be a lot easier than you think.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Another guy I was talking to, told me he wraps his. He explained his symptons as a lot like yours. Have you hada MRI or considered one?

4. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    My cleats are all the way back. When my problems first arose I read about this fix. Nothing really worked until I had a pro fitting, which in the end moved my seat back a bit. My knee was too far forward over my foot. Problem is I think things might have shifted a bit.

Mike, I have had an MRI on my left knee. I had surgery on my knee in '96 and an MRI on it in '02 or '03. Not much as a result of the MRI. I have this other crazy thing going on with my left leg. I'm working with a really good sport medicine doctor right. It seems like some nerve damage. The muscle group on the front of the lower leg to the outside of the shin bone is numb. And if I hit this small spot on the inner part of the lower leg it causes shooting pain in the numb muscle group. My doctor finds it very unusual. I'm not worried about this as much as the Achilles and ankle pain thought.

5. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    You can pedal 100 miles on one leg to complete the December century.

6. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Achilles pain = left leg
    Ankle pain = right leg

7. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Reminds me of the old joke "doctor it only hurts when I do this. " "then don't do that".

8. Edog

Edog Member

Sounds like tendonitsis

Is it sure just to like touch your heel. I get really bad cases, often having to taken time off work. It started after an injuy in my right foot from a motorcycle accident. I'd say keep off it for a week, try not to even walk around too much, plenty of IB & ice.