Scorpions in orange county?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ocdingbat, Nov 17, 2011.

1. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    As a kid I remember visiting my grandparents' old house in the desert of Mexico and they had them all over the place. My grandpa would pick them up and put them in the palm of his hand and they'd just die-or at least that's what it looked like.
    Also, my best friend's dad would take us camping and to freak us out he'd pick them up and take a bite out of them-he'd do the same with the little sand crabs at the beach.

2. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

You guys are creeping me out now... My head's going to be on a swivel next time I'm on a night ride...

3. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    Holy crap!!! I didnt expect any of these responses let alone, pictures!! I still cant believe it took this long for me to physically see one!! And yes this one eventually had to die for being inside the house. Im all about leaving nature alone. After all, we are in their habitat. Dang now im gonna be on the lookout too!!

4. strobe

strobe resident noob

Those sun spiders are seriously aggressive. Try to scare them away and they will rush you.

[​IMG]

5. robmcd

robmcd Member

Bartender, Eco-tour guide, Scallywag (trader joes)
    I used to own a home in El Morro, right over the fence along the trail, and we used to get Scorpions and False Scorpions all the time. Surprised the shit outta me at the time too...

6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    actually, no brown recluses in California: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider. There is a related species in the deserts, but getting bit by it is very rare.

7. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I keep seeing that we have no brown recluses; but I've known three people that have had serious necrosis from some kind of bite. All required surgery. Bites probably happened in deserts to Owens Valley.May not be brown recluse, but it was something.

8. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Well speaking to one that got bit badly on my foot by a Brown recluse right here in HB ~25 years ago while restoring an old house...still can make out the scar...it was pretty serious...it fell into my shoes and I felt it bit me (which actually didn't hurt that bad) but I was on a ladder and could not reach down..got to it a couple minutes later and squished it in my shoe without ever seeing it...well next morning the wound look like someone smashed me with a hammer and put a cigar out in my foot..turned the flesh to jelly and I was out of it. Doc said lucky I was a grown up dude...kid / dog...would have been really bad.....needless to say I wasn't too found of spiders for a while...we have a detente now...'scept widows and recluses. If I remeber they actually treated me with anti-venom.

9. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Don't they taste like chicken if you skewer them, and roast over an open fire? J/K

Seems like I've seen one or two in the OC before.

10. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    My coworker was bit by a brown recluse at work while working down inside a vault. He got real sick. They took the spider with them and it was identified as a recluse. it bit him above his butt cheek and they had to remove some skin.

11. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

I don't want to be a Dick .. but Wikipedia is not really a valid reference. There are brown recs and brown widows they may not be native but thanks to the plant trade they are here

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

12. bvader

Tech Guy
    Yeah saw plenty Brown widows this year where we normally had Blacks

Here is a cool article taking about the UC Study of Brown's in California.
    http://cisr.ucr.edu/brown_widow_spider.html

"The Situation: The brown widow spider, Latrodectus geometricus, became established in Southern California in early 2000 and has become well entrenched as part of the local spider fauna in urban Los Angeles and San Diego. The brown widow spider is continuing its expansion in Southern California and could possibly move northward into Central California."

Never realized The Situation was an arachnid...that explains a lot. ;)

Female Brown Widow...in my best Boston Accent...

Wicked!

brown_widow_spider_large.jpg

13. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    i know wikipedia is not always the best refernce, but neither are doctors, when it comes to identifying spiders. Turns out MD's are not arachnologists. I actually did a lot of research on this a few years ago, when i had a gnarly bite of some kind . ,. yes, there are poisonous spiders around here and can sometimes cause necrotic wounds (very very uncommon), but they're not brown recluses. If you bring it with you,the doctor just sees a brown spider and says, whatever, its probably a brown recluse. Also, usually the necrotic wound is the result of a secondary bacterial infection. However, I will concede your point about the plant trade, I didnt think about that. They may be here but not common enought to worry about. Even in the South, where one's attic can harbor dozens of them , necrotic bites are rare.

Looky:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...72l0l12371l22l22l0l7l7l0l234l2278l2.10.3l15l0

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7468.html

and from this : http://insects.about.com/od/spiders/tp/brown-recluse-lies.htm ;

"Unless your brother saw the spider bite him and brought the suspect spider to the doctor with him, and the doctor wisely sent the spider to an arachnologist for identification, there is no way for that doctor to prove the wound was caused by a brown recluse spider. Doctors have been misdiagnosing brown recluse bites for years. Many other medical conditions cause wounds similar to brown recluse bites, including Lyme disease, burns, diabetic ulcers, bacterial infections, lymphoma, and even herpes. If your doctor diagnoses you with a brown recluse bite without seeing a spider, you should question the doctor, especially if you live outside of the brown recluse spiders' range."

QUOTE=Rockinthecasbah;882353]I don't want to be a Dick .. but Wikipedia is not really a valid reference. Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

14. bvader

Tech Guy
    Interesting... Did you ever figure out what kind of spider it was? Mine that I described a few post back definitely had necrosis by the next morning...it was nasty...

Mine looked worse that this by the next morning...
    http://images.emedicinehealth.com/images/4453/4453-4474-10729-25040.jpg

It was many years ago, I was 20ish at the time so I went with what the doctor told me. After reading the references looks like you are probably right ... maybe I was bitten by the some relative in the Recluse family I remember the doctor also telling me "Don't get bit again it will be worse" I also distinctly remember them giving me some sort of detox / anti-venom...but after reading that doesn't seem really reasonable either so now I am not sure what they actually gave me. I do remember being out-of it a good portion of that day..needless to say ... I don't want that to happen again.

15. LadiesMan

LadiesMan Pro Member

General Contractor
    Home Page:
    Is it just me or is that scorpion a fat ass?

16. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    holy sh*t ball soup!! I saw what appeared to be a piece of crab grass that might have dragged into the kitchen from outside and was ready to pick it up when it moved...Scorpion in the kitchen again!! that woulda sucked
    20130812_093031.jpg

17. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Way cool!
    I hope you set him free.

18. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

All around disgusting thread. I'm never mtn biking again

19. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Google this> diatomaceous earth
    I had great luck with it taking care of a flea infestation I had. My dad says they use it in Texas to keep scorpions out.
    He just catches them in a cup and tosses them far away.

20. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Scary and cool at the same time. Glad nothing came of it.