Ride Report Scary ride in Old Emerald today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by spicolli1976, Sep 24, 2009.

1. bert278

bert278 New Member

yep here kitty kitty :-k
    p.s. fun ride tuesday

2. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Here is another pretty credible report from a couple months back...

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/general-discussion/34645-mountain-lion-spotted-el-moro.html

Me....I had a very strangeencounter at dusk a couple years back....got spooked a couple years back around sunset when I was down there and then suddenly everything got verrrrryyyyy eeriely quiet...no birds ...no bugs...no wabbits....and I scaddadled out of there in a hurry....made my hair stand up and gave me the creeps.

Spooked me so bad that I still don't ride at dusk there by myself...and I am not really a "get spooked" guy....

of course I guess I am a "get Spock" guy....dohhhhh

3. CalEpic

CalEpic member

You are correct sir. I gave up beastiality quite a while ago. You should try a real woman. :wave:

4. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Does his unisexed blow-up doll count as a real WoMan? If so, you're so wrong, bro 'cause he has.

"Sleezy, stop resisting!"

5. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    This is why I spray myself down with oc spray before I hit the trails by myself. Be careful alot of wildlife have been displaced lately.

6. Mike.the.Spike

Mike.the.Spike Member

Had a friend on an El Moro solo night ride a couple months ago and he was coming up Bommer Ridge and saw a lion cross the fire road, right in front of him.

He told the rangers about it the following late afternoon and they just refused to believe him. Don't trust what the rangers say, they seem to be in denial.

They are around, be careful.

7. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    A word of warning to those who frequent the Verdugo's - many of my neighbors witnessed more than a few mtn lions and coyotes and other wildlife fleeing the fire by way of the concrete washes. Sometimes side by side.

All of the Gabe washes between the 2 Fwy and La Tuna Cyn drop down to Oakmont CC and the base of the Verdugo mtns.

Some I imagine ended up going as far as Griffith Park as the final run hits the L.A. river.

BTW, you don't have to be able to pedal faster than the cat, just faster than the slowest person in your group.

8. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    if there aren't any big cats in lcwp/el moro, then tell me what did this???

taken a week ago this past tues, on big bend...

Attached Files:

9. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    ^^^^Ohhhh....Nice .... Thanks Tink...that really helps my spooked-ness

10. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    tink- here's the real question:

what the hell were you doing on big bend?

i'm hoping you were hiking, not biking, because even hiking it is a bitch.

also- that deer could have died of natural causes and his bones ripped apart by a gang of kangaroo rats. that's the ticket.

:beer:

11. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I was hungry. The legs dont have much good meat.:lol:

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Coyotes...

13. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

It was the IRC.
    Unauthorized trail user...
    :wave:

14. Elisheva

Elisheva New Member

counterterrorism
    Mountain Lion Language
    How to read it, what does it mean and how to react:
    1. Activity: Far away and moving away

• Meaning: Secretive and avoidance
    • Human Risk: Insignificant or minimal
    • Appropriate Response: Keep children where they can be observed
    2. Activity: Less than 100 yards away, various positions and movements, attention directed away from people.

• Meaning: Indifference
    • Human Risk: Slight, provided human response
      is appropriate
    • Appropriate Response: Avoid rapid movements, avoid running, avoid loud, excitable talk. Stay in groups, keep children with adults. Observe lion closely.
    [​IMG]

3. Activity: Lion less than 50 yards away, various body positions, ears may be changing positions, intent towards people; following behavior.

• Meaning: Curiosity
    • Human Risk: Slight for adults, given proper response; serious for unaccompanied children.
    • Appropriate Response: Hold small children, keep older children close to an adult. DO NOT turn back on the lion, assume a standing position-above lion if possible. Look for weapons, display weapons, use an aggressive posture. Watch lion at all times!!! If lion sits, looks away, or grooms itself, this is not a predatory situation. Move away slowly.
    [​IMG]

4. Activity: Closer than 50 yards, hiding, intense staring at humans.

• Meaning: Assessing success of attack.
    • Human Risk: Substantial
    • Appropriate Response: All the actions discussed already, plus place older children behind adults. If a safer location or one above the lion is available, go there. DO NOT RUN! Raise hands and other objects, such a jackets, above heads as to present an image of bulk as high as possible. Prepare to defend yourself.

[​IMG]
    5. Activity: Intense staring and hiding, coupled with crouching and/or creeping towards humans.
    • Meaning: Moving to attack position..
    • Human Risk: Serious if within 200 yds.
    • Appropriate Response: Take all actions previously discussed. If possible, move slowly
      to place large objects, such as trees and boulders between yourself and the lion, but do not lose sight of the animal. Smile (show your teeth). Make menacing sounds; throw things if lion is close enough to hit.

[​IMG]
    6. Activity: Crouching, intense staring at humans, tail twitching; ears erect; body low to the ground- head may be up.
    • Meaning: Pre-attack, awaiting opportunity.
    • Human Risk: Grave
    • Appropriate Response: Do everything already discussed and use whatever weapons you have. If you have lethal weapons, take careful aim and use them now. Pepper spray may be effective if lion is close enough. If you have rocks or other items that can be thrown, do so.

[​IMG]
    7. Activity: Ears turned so the "fur" side is forward; body and head low to the ground, tail twitching, rear legs may be "pumping" or "treading" gently up and down.
    • Meaning: Imminent attack, lion is ready to leap.
    • Human Risk: Extreme!
    • Appropriate Response: Prepare to defend yourself in close combat. FIGHT BACK. Make menacing noises. The attack may happen within seconds. If you have any chances of averting it, it is by acting aggressively toward the lion. If the distance is too great to use a stick, run rapidly toward the lion until you can put the stick in its face and eyes. If you lack a stick, run towards the lion with arms high, making loud noises. Stop before you are within striking distance of its paws. Rapid movements toward the lion, especially from above it, may still deter an attack. Avoid positions below the lion, DO NOT turn your back on it or run!!
    [​IMG]

While I find this interesting reading, I'm not sure how much of the above we would observe or be aware of while riding.

15. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 New Member

Great info Elisheva. Thanks. Lets hope none of us ever have to use it.

16. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    More helpful information

[​IMG]

17. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    much ado about nothing (again).

c'mon. how many attacks by mountain lions have there been in california in the last 100 years--12, 1 involving cyclists. there are more important things to worry about on rides...(e.g., do you have a rock to keep your shorts from blowing away). and, the odds are, if an attack did happen, you'd never see it coming...

nothing wrong with being knowledgable and prepared for any situation, but common sense dictates that this is waaay down the list of concerns. and if you don't ride solo because of mtn lions, well, it's just seems silly and unwarranted. it would be like not going in the ocean because of sharks...

18. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 New Member

Well I don't want to be number 11. I think those 10 people might have had a different viewpoint as well. My motto is have fun riding and be careful at all times. I didn't want to start something big, just wanted to share what happened to me and let people know to keep their eyes open.

Don't you agree?

19. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Elisheva. Where did they find the last few photos?

Answer: next to the bones.

20. 1X9er

1X9er Don't call me Junior...

I'm in San Clemente. Have seen a lion here, smaller size (female? juvenile) but definitely a Mountain lion (bushy tail, coloring) not a bob cat. Also has been spotted multiple times by reliable neighbors (hikers who know the difference). It has been as close as the fire road above homes in Talega. There is 20 miles of wilderness/cattle ranch behind my house so not surprising. I ride solo often and as many have stated the chance of a human attack is small but I carry a 6" knife in a scabbard on my Camelback and try not to bend over when I stop on the trail (yes that sounds a little weird OK!) and try and listen and be observant when I stop including looking downwind where they would often be if stalking (so their prey wouldn't smell them). Not riding paranoid just smart.