Say thank you to good posts

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, Dec 13, 2006.

?

Do you want to be able to thank . . .

1. Nobody. Take that feature away.

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Just the thread creator

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Everybody

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    If you find a post helpful/funny/cool/whatever, you can click the 'Thanks" button to say thank you to the poster. Tally of thanks a person has received is kept in their profile.

It's useful when you don't want to post something back but it still lets the author know that their good post is appreciated.

Might add the opposite sort of thing later. Instead of posts it'll be like a 'groan at the post' or something.

Wanna try it out by thanking THIS post? :drunk:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  2. Burner

Burner WAWE

thanks or spanks
    8-[

3. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Good idea Gouge, but not so sure about the "opposite" button idea. That just may cause more problems than its worth and really isn't necessary in my opinion.

4. guero

guero iFroth

I think it adds clutter. Maybe if it was a product review or something it would be more relevant...but to have a "thanks" button on every single post that someone makes is a little redundant in my opinion.

One third of my monitor is taken up by "thanks" replies and the "sponsorship links" area....tacky.

5. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Even though we're talking about this on aim, other people might have the same idea so I'll repeat it here:

Gonna change the button to just be a thumbs up so it takes up less room and will change the wording of "The Following User Says Thank You to ___ For This Useful Post:" to something simpler. That should help a bit in the clutter dept.

6. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Yes we need a gong button, simular to the old gong show.

7. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Changed it just to just be able to thank the thread creator. So along with the thread rating, people can thank the individual for their thread/post. Member profiles keep a tally of how many times a user has been thanked.

As always if this is unpopular or doesn't work out it can always be removed.

The sponsorship area is somewhat of a necessity, especially now that host costs have tripled after moving servers. (has anyone notice the lack of slowdowns? 8)) In addition, I still haven't broke even on the shirts yet either. I invest a LOT of time on STR and although I can deal with staying up late, don't really think I should also be suffering a financial burden too. Tried keeping those ads out of the way and to a minimum but with a mere couple clicks on most days, they weren't generating enough when they were at a minimum and out of the way.

I've thought about having a paid subscription that would make the forums available ad-free for a yearly fee. But I've always liked the idea of having STR completely free. Ads, as long as they generate clicks for the ad sponsors, enable hosting and other expenses to be covered. The occasional donations have also certainly helped. Still have Hmm, this sounds like a good opportunity to publicly thank those people!

Big thanks to the following who have donated (hopefully I don't forget anyone):bang::
    • calepic
    • sharky
    • lance
    • singleSspeedster
    • jamR
    • mcgrath
    K, sorry if that sounded like a whine. But at least it explains the ads a bit? 8-[

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  8. Collette

Collette New Member

George, I'll do my REI shopping through STR from now on. I must visit REI.com a dozen times a day, not for Bike Stuff though. As much as I love Novara.......:D . OK, I really need to hit the books now.

9. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    You know, I was just coming here to ask if we could have thanks on all the posts. I mean, as long as we're going to do it... I just think that a little "thumbs up" isn't that bad. And, maybe instead of the post then saying who thanked it, maybe you'd just get a rating as a useful poster that would show up similar to a post count. Like, the more thanks you get, the more chainrings would show up in your little profile, or something like that. (I know that's ghey, you don't have to tell me.) :D But, seriously, I would like to thank people who make good posts regardless of whether they are the OP or not. And, I think it would be cool way for people to evaluate the usefulness of other user's advice, etc. Right now we can see that people post a lot. But having a high post count doesn't mean you always have something good to say. After all, I have over 700 posts. :) Some one else might hardly post but when they do, man it rocks! I think that could be useful.

Or, I could just f**k off.

10. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Interesting ideas, glen. I added a poll to the thread to see what people think. By now everyone has a pretty good grasp on what this feature does. If you look at a person's profile it shows the number of times they've thanked and been thanked. When I have time to kill I'll play with making a 'top thankees page' or something and see if that would be worth while.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions.

11. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Dude, you are always welcome to my free ideas and advice; frequently worth what you paid for, too! :)

12. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    i would donate but im fresh outta cash after getting this new bike ](*,) but hey its gonna kick ass8)

13. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Did everyone who wanted to vote go ahead and vote? I'll let the poll go till Wednesday.

14. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Alright the poll has spoken, everyone can thank everyone now .:)

15. stjunkie

stjunkie New Member

George, I hit the "thanks" button but my name never shows up. Do I have to do something else?

16. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    It uses ajax to work. Do you have javascript turned off? What browser and operating system are you using?

17. stjunkie

stjunkie New Member

Java enabled. Mozilla on XP