SART conditions?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by sirsam84, Mar 29, 2009.

1. sirsam84

sirsam84 New Member

Anybody know what conditions are like on SART now? I imagine post office to middle control is downed tree hell, but how about middle control to south fork campground?

2. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I was there a few days ago and was going to do the post office loop. I got about 2 miles in and noticed they were doing controlled burns along Middle Control Rd. I turned around and went back. The sections I did ride (which are at the higher elevations) were in pretty good condition. I few snow patches. I think I only had to get off the bike once. If I'd been going the other way (uphill) they would have been a pain though. I'm guessing by now most of that's even cleared up so you should be good.

3. HEYwait4me

HEYwait4me Member

I also would like to know the conditions, because I've been having SART dreams!!:)

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Going friday after work, I will post up what I find when i get home.

5. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    email from someone who did it 3/21 -

Yep! the ride sure did happen. It was a 32 mile trek. We started at 10:15a and got down to the cars in Mentone at 4:50p. We did have lunch at the Angelus Oaks diner which took about 45 min.

The upper part of the SART (from upper fork down to Angelus Oaks) was awesome! There were a few downed trees that we had to go around, up and over, but they were fine. There was a small amount of snow in a few spots. Most of these spots you could easily ride through, a few you had to walk across, but they were small.

The lower half was truly an adventure!!! Because this trail isn't as well traveled, the winter storms did a number on it. There were more trees and more snow and a whole bunch of branches sticking out everywhere.

In summary, I would definitely do the upper part this early in the season again without hesitation. However, I would wait on the lower part till at least late April or May. Overall it was a great ride with great peeps and I can't wait to do it again when the trail conditions are better.

6. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

--quote abui--
    good news!

it seems the lower part is give and take throughout the season. we ran it around memorial day and had a great time...6 weeks later not so much...just doesn't get the traffic.

7. protijy

protijy Bean Town Bonehead

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:
    thinking about going next weekend so from the lower lot (at the bottom of the fire road) up to the camp ground is in good shape?

8. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

As promised, Condition of the soil.... AWESOME for riding, tacky, like riding on a rail

Didnt have any issues with snow, little touch of mud.

Tics are our already. so check yourselves if you ride SART.

The thornbushes made for a miserable ride

The thornes werre quite rediculous actually.

And.... Poison oak. Yes its up ther, I found it today on teh drive home when I wiped the sweat off mmy forhead with the sleeve of my jersey

9. Krankin Kiwi

Krankin Kiwi Closet Goater

Home Page:
    Did you go all the way up to South Fork?

10. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

No we went the other way. Seriously I think I am going to go ride it again, and make a day out of it and pack the Lopper with me to work on the thorn bushes. Those damn thorns are an inch inch and a half long.

11. Apple_Yak

Apple_Yak Member

We did the loch levin trail up to angelus oaks this past saturday. While hanging out at angelus oaks restaurant, we ran into a couple of other riders who said they had recently tried SART but there were a ton of trees over the trail. I'm not sure what piece of SART they rode. Sounded like the part just behind the post office.

They also said that in the past some youth group (sounded like kids on probation or something) came through and cleared them up but this year, due to state budget cuts, they wouldn't be doing any trail maintenance.

Not sure what to believe. Guess I should just get up there and see for myself.

12. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Is there a way to start at Jenks lake, than take the SART to Redlands or the lowest posssible desitnation with least amount of climbing.???/ Thanks for the reply....

13. margaret

margaret New Member

I just want to THANK BIG TIME whoever it is that has been doing the trail work on the SART. Last weekend we rode the section that goes through Thomas Hunting Grounds, and the first part of that section was in the best shape I've seen it. A few weeks ago we had ridden the loop behind the store/post office and it was kind of a mess still, really overgrown and some trees down, and Russell and I had talked about getting out there to work on the trail ourselves with some friends, but I was out there riding last night and it is now in PERFECT condition. Someone has been out there with a rake and clippers, and probably a chainsaw. No more trees in the way and I don't think I got one scratch on my arms from the sharp bushes that are usually everywhere. So, if the person(s) responsible for this are on this forum, a big THANK YOU, and pm Russell or I if you would like help if you plan on clearing more sections. We are thinking of getting out in the next few weeks to clear the bottom part of the Thomas hunting grounds section. I'm not sure how the upper sections are?? but hopefully will ride from South Fork to the store sometime soon, so I can report back again.

14. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    Send your thanks to the forest service volunteers. They've been out in force the past two weekends clearing most of the trails up in BB, PCT, Cougar Crest, Holcomb Valley, Polique Canyon and SART.

I played hooky from an afternoon of work earlier this week and SS'd from A.O. to South Fork and back. There are still a few sections that need rehab (washouts), but everything is rideable and really tacky still. The typical stream crossings are still there, but are either ridable or hikeable.

Jump on SART this weekend and you'll be treated to great weather and low traffic.

Greg

15. MTruss

MTruss New Member

Rode there the two Fridays before April 26th. There were three or four trees down, across the trail. For those riders who are verticaly challenged, ducking under a couple of the trees would be easy enough but there were also however a couple you have to carry your bike over. Also there are a couple of spots where the trail is almost washed out. Made the mistake of trying to ride through one of those sections. Got too close to the hillside, clipped a tree root (taking a huge chunk of skin out of my ring finger even through gloves) and almost lost my bike down the hillside. Use extra caution through this section. Other than that, the trail is a blast.

16. Apple_Yak

Apple_Yak Member

Anyone on SART this past weekend? Any new updates on trail conditions? I'm thinking of going up this coming sunday.

17. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    2 weekends ago the hubby and a group rode it RR, there were several trees still down. This past weekend some other friends rode it and the trees where still down.

also - 2 weeks ago the water was still off at Southfork campground

18. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I am sure by this time my friends int eh forrestry service up there have cleared most everything up, maybe a tree or two left, but my buddy Pat gets his crew up there early everyyear. I talked to him last week and he told me they have been working there asses of on the trails.

19. Apple_Yak

Apple_Yak Member

Thanks surlygal - I really appreciate the beta. Any chance you guys will be up that way on Sunday of this coming weekend?

20. mexi mike

mexi mike New Member

Thanks for ridin it! I don't know if i can take full credit, but I've been doin some heavy work on that trial (hunting grounds down), there were probably 5 sections where you had to get off the bike and push around bush/tree stuff, i had enough of it and decided to pack in some clippers and do work, got most of what i wanted done, there are still a few smack you in the face plants, but eh, i dont feel like hittin the brakes for those and cuttin them.

The one thing that kills me is that no one rides that section, it has so much potential, and it's a short shuttle for big bikes.

lookn for more trail?

After all that single track when you hit the service road heading towards vista point there is a gate and another service road that goes up to morton lookout tower, i highly recomend doing the 1.5 mile uphill to the single track that branches off to the left before you get to the tower, you will know if you are on it if you have to hop over a white check gate(not visible from the entrance to the trail) that trail puts you out in mentone in the orange groves above greenspot, you will know if you made it out in the right location if you have to hop over another white check gate, once your out on the service road head towards the water tower and to the orange groves, then to green spot. its very hard to google earth that trail so pack water and park at REV highschool. that trail is pretty overgrown but not stuff that hurts, wear long socks , just needs more mtb traffic.

connecting SART-(post office) to vista pt. to morton to mentone is pretty fun, about a 4hr ride, lots of dh, and only about a 15 min shuttle.

gonna be ridin it this sunday most likely, pm me if you want anymore details.