Santiago Fire/South OC FIRE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by socal ridur, Oct 21, 2007.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    OK, Grasshoppers

So we have to get use to riding on the surface of the moon for a while ...like we now do in Santiago Oaks. Most of this will grow back... just like the SJT did after that devastating fire did a few years back... and El Moro did after the Laguna Beach beach fire. Both were set by arsonists. The first one they caught. Turned out it was the fire chief's son!.. the second one was never found. It may take a few years but the country side will be back. Hopefully, some of the larger trees will make it through this as well. They did in El Moro.

Let's be thankful that most of us have homes to return to... as some of us don't.

We also need to put all these incredible pictures in a folder on the STR web site. We have much better pictures and news than the radio, TV and newspapers!!!

Good job...

2. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist

good points- I've been coming here to get more up-to-date news on all the fires instead of going to the news channel sites or to the newspaper websites. heck, TV coverage has gotten onto so many other things, immediate fire coverage hasn't seemed like the priority.

It should also be an easy year to get people out to do trail work.

3. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man

That's crazy. prob explains why they said was someone with some knowledge. bet that kid didn't get enough hugs growing up.

how old (kid or adult) did they say how they caught him. bet dad has to live a bit with this "shame".

anyway, glad they caught him so one less nut out there while the fires ar still in force, cannot imagine any legal punishment that could measure to the pain this jerk casues so many

btw- the info and pics throughout post are amazing...thanks to all!

4. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    The CDF is headed to OC in force. The staging area on Central in Chino has been bustling all day.

This morning a parade of fire engines and bulldozers pulled in to a hero's welcome. All the traffic stopped and people were waving at the fire fighters.

At the same time, a bunch more engines and fire fighters were headed out of the staging area south towards the 71, and I assume down to the Santiago or SD fires.

I've never seen so many fire engines in my life. These guys don't quit.

5. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    This message is on the OCFA site (their size print and color):

As of 1:10 PM 10/26/07, the fire is within one hour of Silverado Canyon. OC Sheriff Deputies are attempting to evacuate remaining residents.

anyone know what's going on?

6. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    Homes now threatened in Silverado Canyon ... - 2:20 p.m. The Santiago fire is again sweeping toward Silverado Canyon, and fire officials warned that it could be within minutes of coming over the ridgelines there. Orange County Sheriff's deputies were going through the canyon to evacuate any remaining holdouts.

The fire had been bulling its way through the isolated wilderness of the Cleveland National Forest, and fire officials said earlier in the day that it no longer appeared to pose an immediate threat to homes. But now, it was once again on the move to the north, and once again menacing Silverado Canyon.

A strike team of nearly 200 firefighters was in the canyon, their only orders to protect the homes there. The fire appeared to be threatening the back end of the canyon, where there are at least 100 homes.

all i can provide from the register.

7. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Just got back from a lap around our area, and I'll post pics soon. Good news/bad news: A little sea breeze has made temps cooler and air MUCH more breathable, but it seems to be fanning the flames up the hill, as we watched a very large plume of heavy smoke surging from the Silverado area.

On the upside, we counted at least 5 helicopters (the big ones) and 4 fixed wing craft in the area. The helos were making amazingly fast round trips from the fire lines to the reservoir along the 241 west of O'Neill park.

8. ThinkFast

ThinkFast Member

Self Employed
    Here's a shot of were the fire was at 2:00 PM. Picture take from Melinda and Los Alisos in RSM (Altisima Park).

I saw helicopters making drops where the arrow shows the fire.

Attached Files:

9. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    They're (their? there?) getting serious now. These were taken at 2:00 PM at ther reservoir by the 241 tollroad. I saw about 5 helicopters and several large fixed wing aircraft making repetitive drops on the area just north of the Santiago Truck Trail. A huge plume of white smoke is rising many thousands of feet into the air. Hopefully this will make a difference.
    Thanks to all of those working on this, and other, fires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    I took a similar picture whilst on my way to Carls Jnr for a Patty Melt and fries.........

Attached Files:

11. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

The radio said that the fire had crept over the ridge and was migrating down towards the Silverado community.

Regarding Fired Yo Momma's comments - I tend to agree, but I wonder what could have been accomplished if so many of our National Guard were not being used elsewhere?

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    What peak is that that the smoke is surrounding?

13. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

You like flat buns!

14. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    LOL!
    Allison the smoke plume was jsut to the left of Modjeska peak. Apparently the fire is up at 4 corners now and hasnt crossed the main divide up to Modjeska.

15. ThinkFast

ThinkFast Member

Self Employed
    WOW!

This is not from last week, this was 2 minutes ago!

Attached Files:

16. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Cheap cheap

What could we accomplish if we weren't desperate to create a political advantage out of someone's misfortunes (Senator Boxer) ?

Senator Feinstein on the Senate floor -

“Thank you very much, Mr. President. I wanted to take a few minutes to do what Senator Boxer did yesterday, which is essentially update the Senate on the catastrophic fires in California. I offer these words on behalf of Senator Boxer and myself.
    Today there are 14 fires, big fires, burning in California. The bulk of them are uncontained and out of control. The containment factor is very small.
    More than half a million people have been told to evacuate their homes. More than 309,000 acres have been destroyed by fire, over 400 miles from north of Los Angeles to San Diego and now across the Mexican border, and more we fear will be destroyed.
    The deaths fortunately to date are limited to one, with 34 injured throughout Southern California, some of them firefighters.
    High winds and high temperatures persist. A Red Flag warning is in effect for the California coast from Monterey to the Mexican border.
    More than 1,000 homes have been destroyed. 11,500 are now threatened today. More than 100 commercial buildings have been destroyed and 2,000 are threatened. 52 outbuildings have been destroyed and 550 are threatened.
    Health warnings have been issued because of smoke and particulate matter.
    Now, as you know, these fires are driven by hurricane and gale force Santa Ana winds, which are hot and contrary to the prevailing West -to East brought. They are bone dry from years of drought and virtually no humidity. Humidity is below 10 percent.
    Fires are raging still in Malibu, at Lake Arrowhead, in Irvine, and Santa Clarita.
    The Arrowhead area is particularly dangerous because there are half a million acres of beetle infested pine, dead trees waiting to go up.
    Of course, fires are raging in San Diego County, which is bearing the brunt of two major fires which well could join.
    Already, more than 300,000 people in San Diego County alone have been told to evacuate. More than 200,000 are taking refuge in Qualcomm Stadium, home to the San Diego Chargers. These people will be there from 48 to 72 more hours and possibly more. Sanitary supplies are going to become a problem.
    It's going to be a real effort to get food and water to these evacuees and to the hundreds of thousands of people displaced around Southern California.
    Both Senator Boxer and I spoke to the Governor, and he has declared a seven-county disaster area.
    Yesterday, the President declared Southern California a disaster area to be able to speed the Federal Emergency Management Agency's relief, which is critical.
    This is going to be a real test of FEMA. We are going to learn whether FEMA actually learned from the hurricane in New Orleans. A test of whether FEMA has gotten its act together, post-Katrina. FEMA must act quickly and urgently get help to California.
    The State is going to need cots. It’s going to need blankets. It's going to need water, food and those sanitary facilities that are needed for people who are camping out today, sleeping in cars, located in schools or in Qualcomm Stadium.
    And most importantly, this help has to be spread throughout the 14 different fire areas. It's not going to be enough simply to put it in one place.
    Last night, the Secretary of Interior informed me that the fires have crossed the line and are entering into Baja California, Mexico, and urges the Mexican authorities take action.
    The thing about these fires is they're fast moving. You see them at a distance on a hill and you don't believe you'll be affected because the winds are contrary to what you expect. And then suddenly, within a short period of time -- two hours -- the fire is upon you. So people must be alerted, and they must evacuate these fire areas.
    The military is pitching in. 1,500 National Guard personnel are actively engaged or directly supporting fire fighting efforts. We have 550 active-duty Marines, and 17,000 California National Guard personnel are available.
    I believe we have more than 5,300 State of California firefighters on the line and hundreds more from local jurisdictions today.
    A combination of National Guard, Navy and Marine Corps aircraft are either supporting fire fighting efforts or are prepared to pitch in. The problem is, with the wind and dense smoke, it is difficult for a plane or helicopter to know where they're going.
    Simply put, this is a disaster of huge proportions.
    It is catastrophic in terms of property lost and environmental damage. Hopefully, it's not going to be a huge catastrophe in terms of loss of life.
    I don't think there's anything other than a catastrophic health incident that's more serious to a person or a family than losing their home by flood or fire. And I know that Californians will respond in their traditional stalwart and generous manner to help their neighbors.
    Both Senator Boxer's and my heart go out to all Californians today. I would ask that a specific statistical round-up of the larger fires be added directly following my remarks in the record.
    Thank you. I thank the Chair, and I yield the floor.”

17. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    The fire is burning down from the bear flat/silverado truck a trails area(a ridge that branches off four corners) down through pine and half way canyon above mine tract.(near the start of the maple springs)Lets hope they stop it asap.

18. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

19. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

How about an STR/Warrior's Society/Share flag after we all help replant and rebuild?

20. shleppy

shleppy Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

dung collector
    For those of you who don't have google earth.. here is the thermal image from today overlayed with the fire extent info from yesterday. (I created the blue extent for todays fire from the thermal image)

red - extent as of yesterday
    cyan - extent as of today

[​IMG]

Same deal but without the thermal stuff...
    [​IMG]

Zoomed in on the top section near harding truck trail
    [​IMG]