Santiago Fire/South OC FIRE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by socal ridur, Oct 21, 2007.

1. asian fury

asian fury You give love a bad name

Sales Rep.
    Heading towards Modjeska Peak?

Was watching the news just now and some firefighter said the fire was heading towards the peak. Can anyone see the fire from where they're at and verify? thanks.

2. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

A Few Volunteering Options

Hey guys, just saw this on the Trail Angels website. Since the fire hazard (aside from air) has subsided a bit, there are a few things we can do to help the community get back on it's feet.

I know everyone has been concerned and is anxious to reach out and do something, so I thought I'd post. Appologies, as there are no openings for "honey and fire ant toasting of the perps" as of yet ;)

Hey Everyone,

If you are looking for a great volunteer opportunity please read the following email below for all the details. Hope to see you there. Ched

We have an opportunity for Local PEACE this Saturday!​

If you and your small group would like to be part of the fire relief efforts in our community, please come to the "Bridge Parking Lot" (off of El Toro Rd. and Marguerite) on the Saddleback Church Campus this Saturday, October 27 between 9:00am and 9:30am. Please plan to work for a minimum of 2 hours.

Bring brooms, rakes, work gloves, shovel, dust pans, sunscreen, hat, dust mask, rags and buckets. We will provide water and trash can liners. Make sure you wear sturdy, closed toe shoes.

Your small group will be given an assigned street in the fire affected area along with instructions. Your group will go out to that area and work with the residents who are beginning the clean up process.

This is a great family friendly opportunity to come out and help our neighbors. All you need is a willing heart! Kids are welcome and encouraged as the residents have children, too!

All your questions will be answered on Saturday.

Please do not reply to this email. Just show up! See you there!

COME READY TO SERVE!​

Ron Wilbur
    Director of the Small Group MinistrySaddleback Church949.609.8121 - office
    949.466.6159 - cell

ronw@saddleback. net

Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 2:16 PM

The fire fighters in Orange County could use some extra items...

I went and bought 4 cases of bottled water, sports drinks, wet wipes, and nutragrain bars and took them over to the OC Fire Authority (Tustin Ranch and Jamboree, service entrance) the other day and the fireman were thrilled to get them. There were some other pallets with water and gatorade on them that were being loaded in a fire truck and going to be transported to the staging areas for the firemen who are fighting the fires. It took 1/2 hour of my time to buy the stuff and deliver it to the fire station. It might be nice if more Tustin/Santa Ana families donated. The firemen appreciated it so much. Maybe you can send out an email( if we are able to do that) if any families would like to help out. It's a small way to say "Thanks" for the endless number of hours these men and women are spending fighting these devastating fires to protect our homes and those of our loved ones.

K. G.
    operations manager and processor

3. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    It's stil too smoky to tell for sure but I would guess now. Just before dawn I could still see it burning along STT but still west of Old Camp by two miles or so.

Yes the fire is "heading" toward the peak but if it is "approaching" it, I would say it is not doing so from the south/southeast side that I can clearly see from my house.

fire10-26-07.jpg
    As you can see from this shot it does not appear to be burning near either peak.

KeepsWhatHappens

4. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

5. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Hey guys I have been reading here how we (California) were not prepared for this. I am just going to say this and leave it at that. Their a couple things I don't like to talk to with my friends or at the bar 1. Religion 2. Politics. I know I will make some of you guys upset, but I am just going to say this. I will say this as soon as this horrible fire came I knew their would be some blow hard politican (cough cough a certain OC assembly man) saying how California was not prepared and the Feds and state dragged their feet on this or that. This guy only said this to promote his future political career. This to me is BS I feel the fed and state gov did a great 100% perfect job. As a state that is deeply in debt we have a certain limit amount of money (state budget) to allocate for this or that. In So Cal we live in a good lifestyle and I think we feel that because we are Californias we are entitled to the best and it has to be right now. We have to realize their were other fires going on in the state. If you live in an area were your back yard or house is either built on loose soil (cough cough Laguna) or full of dry bush that home owner should know that the area they live in has certain risks for living their. You know their was a story of a guy in Arrowhead you had the only house that was fireproofed. The fire was coming and house after house caught fire like dominos but when the fire got to this guys house the fire died because this guy fireproofed his outer structure. That house saved the other houses because the fire stopped at his house. This home owner took responsibility for his home. In my conclusion I hope you guys won't be upset at me for explaining my views and FYI this is no way close to Katrina.

Peace and Go Red Sox!!!!

6. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    from the register at about 9:00 am today:

"The Santiago wildfire has bulled its way to within half a mile of the Riverside County line at its nearest point. Firefighters were planning today to make a stand at the county line, but said they may have to resort to "bump-and-run" defensive tactics if the fire breaks through.
    Fire crews lit controlled backfires overnight near Williams Canyon. The fires devoured grass and brush in the area, creating a firebreak that officials said should protect part of Silverado Canyon.
    Firefighters were trying to set up a protective line around about 60 homes in the Holy Jim area. The fire was not really threatening that community, but fire crews wanted to get the line up just in case."

the map shows two pushpins as Modjeska and Santiago peaks and they're close to the leading edge of the fire. not good.

7. shleppy

shleppy Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

dung collector
    Fire Extent Friday oct 26th.

FYI.. here is a map of the fire's extent as of Friday morning. The red and orange extents are official extents and the yellow is my best guess from looking at the mountain from my home this morning right above trabuco canyon.

here is a map of the entire fire extent
    • orange line - offical fire extent as of Wed
    • Red line -official fireas of thrus
    • yellow line - my estimate from the view at my house overlooking trabuco canyon Friday Morning
    [​IMG]

and here is a closeup of the santiago truck trail and harding. again.. yellow is just an estimate for now but red line is official as of Thursday.
    [​IMG]

8. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I just saw on TV a topo map that a fire official had showing the fire's progress.

It has not crossed the main divide yet.

It appears to be approaching 4-corners up from Harding and on the ridge south of Silverado Canyon.

He said crews are reinforcing the Main Divide to make a stand there.

He said they have 13 helos and 4 fixed wing aircraft working this fire.

KeepsWhatHappens

9. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    are they dropping the red retardant stuff? I think that would be the only way they could turn main divide into an effective fire break

10. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Here's a pic Jeff provided of the first section of STT from what I presume is Modjeska grade.

Attached Files:

11. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

Ouch, cough, cry, sigh.

A week and a half ago, my wife and I had the best sunset ride up the the flag and back. I know it all will eventually come back, but for now...

ouch, cough, cry, sigh

12. shleppy

dung collector
    Mo pics

Here are a few more pics of the fire if anyone is interested.

These are some shots as the fire was climbing from north to south into whiting from limestone canyon. These pictures were taken from foothill ranch at a park overlooking the single track entrance on the north side (the single track by ralphs).

The next two pics were taken about 5 minuts apart. you can see how quickly the fire jumped from the ridge to the little bowl below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fire Crews standing by to protect the homes right above the park
    [​IMG]

Damn.. very close to homes in foothill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Sickening sight

The STT has burned like that before and took years to come back#-o

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    methinks it'll need a new flag...

15. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    jolly roger? don't tread on me? both would be acceptable.

Attached Files:

16. shleppy

dung collector
    and.. a few more

Here a few shots I took when I hiked into Oneil Park from the west on Tuesday afternoon.

This shot shows Modjeska canyon (behind the ridge) and the bottom of the Santiago truck trail burning. Those houses on the left of the photo are the Santiago Canyon Estates that are just below the truck trail to the south west.
    [​IMG]

Say adios to the brush around the truck trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the fire climbing up the truck trail towards the flag. If you look closely you can see the crags (vulture crags ... the real name of the luge trail) on the right side of the photo). As you all know.. those are the crags just to the north west of the flag.
    [​IMG]

later on the cavalry arrived in the air
    [​IMG]

You can just make out a plane in the smoke in this one.. these guys are nuts to fly in such limited visability
    [​IMG]

here's a pic of a plane doing a drop of the fos-chek (or whatever it's called) just above the Santiago Canyon Estates

[​IMG]

17. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Schleppy - thanks for the pics. I'm heading out in a few minutes to take a lap around the neighborhood (Portola/Foothill), so I'll take some new shots of the aftermath and give a report later.

18. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    Firefighters working to clear path near Modjeska Peak ... - 11:17 a.m. Firefighters are attempting to clear a path off of the Modjeska grade to reach Modjeska Peak and get a direct access to the Santiago Fire burning in the Cleveland National Forest, according to OCFA firefighters at the scene. They are meeting at Cooks Corner to evaluate their strategies and firefighting bulldozer trucks are being used to clear a trail. Modjeska grade is at the south end of Modjeska Canyon. Firefighters at the scene said they are clearing the grade to help fight the fire and that there is no danger to structures.

19. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I went yesterday to look at the aftermath of Whiting. My pics of it is on page 16. My camera is not the best. I hope you can get better and clearer ones than what I took. You can go to Borrego Overlook Park as I did and really see that section as well as Watertank Rd and the park near the church on the corner of Bake and Lake Forest to get a good look at the rest of Whiting. The fire damage is pretty bad. Look forward to seeing your pics.

20. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Thanks Gene. Heading out the door now.

FWIW, we are seeing and hearing lots of airborne activity that's kicked in over the last half hour. Hazy blue skies overhead and a light breeze: Hopefully good aerial firefighting weather!