Road Ride Santiago Canyon W/ Silverado

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Draheim18, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I plan on riding Santiago Canyon with Silverado on Sunday (March 28th). I plan on leaving my house at about 8ish and plan to be at Cook's Corner at 9 am. Just thought I'd throw it up in case anyone else is interested. You could either ride to Cook's or park there and make it a loop.

Mileage if you start at Cook's and make it a loop is around 45. If you ride, it will depend on where you start. It is roughly 60 miles for me.

The route I planned to take was Antonio -> Live Oak -> Santiago Canyon -> Silverado -> Jamboree -> Irvine Blvd after that it depends if anyone is with me.

2. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Wish I could make it Sunday :(
    Anyone out tomorrow morning?

3. rustin

rustin _

I'm up for it. How about Irvine Boulevard to Sand Canyon to Laguna Canyon Road to El Toro to Aliso Creek to Aliso Viejo Parkway to the Aliso Creek Bike Trail back to Cooks?

By the way, I've never been to Silverado before, should I expect a climb?

4. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    That would be about 80 miles for me and I can't do that far yet. Though, if you wanted to split and add that in, that would be fine with me.

When I said it depends, I meant more of which way we would go back. If people parked at Cook's instead of riding, we could take Bake or El Toro back. If people rode there, it would depend where they started. If it was just me at this point, I would probably take El Toro back to Santa Margarita Parkway back to Antonio.

Silverado is about 6 miles with a very gradual climb in. It is about 1,000 feet over 6 miles.

Would you ride or drive to Cook's? If you ride, where would you be starting from?

Dang, too bad. I would actually rather ride Saturday's but I always have to coach either practice or games for lacrosse.

*Edit* I'm going to throw this up on the calendar.

5. rustin

rustin _

I'm starting from the Aliso-Woods area. On the return trip I might take Antonio to Oso. I might also take Antonio to Ortega Highway to Cove Rd. Should I be worried about Ortega Highway or is this section alright?

6. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I wouldn't take Ortega personally especially on a weekend and with the construction they are doing at it where it meets Antonio. Antonio and down Oso would be the best bet I think, plus it is fairly easy to cross over the freeway there.

I added it to the calendar also. Just so I can get an idea for how many will be joining us.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=2739&day=2010-3-28

7. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Bump in case anyone is looking for a road ride tomorrow morning.

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Wish, I had the legs for it. I like that route.

9. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Wish I had the back for it... that is a good route. Looks like the winds are gone for the time being.

10. Jayhar

Jayhar New Member

Graphic Designer
    Got inspired by the Laguna Cyn recommendation, so rode from my place in LF up bike path and out through Santiago to Jamboree, down to Irvine Bvd to Sand Canyon to Laguna Cyn, rode down to PCH and then went north and hammered Newport Coast then down to Bonita Cyn over to Culver, Culver up to Irvine Bvd over and up Jamboree to Santiago Cyn and then to home. 82 miles of awesomeness! Such a good loop.

11. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

How was the canyon today? It was pretty warm and dry in LA. That loop sounds great; I need to work on my longer rides, so I may to piece something like that together....Thanks!

12. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    It was hot early and stayed hot, not too windy though when we rode through it.

My ride ended up being 71.5 miles. I started rode from the south end of Coto to Antonio to Plano Trabuco and through Live Oak. We took Santiago Canyon to Silverado then continued through the canyon to Jamboree and on to Irvine Blvd. He wanted to ride Live Oak so we took El Toro back to Live Oak back to Plano Trabuco and I finished by heading down Antonio to Oso.

13. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Nice...lots of people on the weekends stitch part of that route together for 30-40 miles at a time...very few do longer than that.

14. Jayhar

Jayhar New Member

Graphic Designer
    ^yeah, i ride the canyon daily as my training loop, 32 miles round trip. i feel pretty fortunate, it's an all around really nice route to prep for whatever, especially if you integrate climbing the backside of Modjeska, and Silverado for some extra bonus miles.