Santacruz Nomad Vs Blur Ltc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nimis, Oct 22, 2009.

1. nimis

nimis New Member

Law Student
    Alright guys I am looking for a all mountain bike. I am stuck between the Nomad with Talas 36 RC2 VS the Blur LT Carbon Talas 32 RLC....Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, experiences?

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

BLTc with that kind of build on it is going to be more XC oriented.Nomad will be more All Mountain leaning more towards DH.The BLTc is a long legged xc bike that can handle a ton of abuse.....and a 160mm fork. Weights will range from 26 lbs to 35 lbs.The Nomad is a light/medium duty 6+" travel bike that can be built light and climb as well as the BLTc but can handle more DH/FR type riding. Weights will range from 29 lbs. to 40 lbs.

3. MountainCycler

MountainCycler OTB

Enterprise Architect at Warner Bros. in Burbank, C
    Home Page:
  4. Todd

Todd Member

I spent a long time weighing this same decision, before ultimately buying the Blur LTc with a 36 Fox 160 TALAS. With the 36 TALAS, a Gravity Dropper seatpost, and the X9 build kit, my bike weighs just over 30 lbs.

I suggest riding them both (even if just in a parking lot) before making any decisions. That's what I did. I heard how great the Nomad climbs, and that's probably true. But I also found the Nomad to be a little "floppy" at slow speeds. Straight up a fireroad, the Nomad probably climbs as well as the LTc (it certainly pedals well around a parking lot with small hills), but I think it would be a little harder to handle up slow, technical ascents. Not much, but a little. Take this critique with a large grain of salt though, as it is based only a ride around the parking lot.

Ultimately, after riding them both, I decided the LTc with a long fork just felt a little better. It was very subjective, but I think I made the right decision. With the 36 TALAS 160, the head angle on the LTc is pretty close to the Nomad. So you have a little less travel in the rear, but it still rips the descents. And the carbon is so stiff, the bike just sticks to whatever line you want.

I couldn't be happier with my LTc! It's basically the perfect bike for the trails I ride.

And a little plug for the guys at Switchback Cyclery, who hooked me up with my LTc for more than a fair deal. Definitely stop by their shop if you are looking to buy a Santa Cruz.

5. nimis

nimis New Member

Law Student
    Well I currently ride a scott genius 10 and want to build a bike that's different from the that. That's why i am leaning more toward the Nomad...another question do both bikes have the iscg tabs?

6. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    I would say, it depends on what you like better. Do you prefer climbing or going downhill? If uphill is your thing, Blur LT, but if you like going downhill, hands down the Nomad.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  7. santacruznomad

santacruznomad New Member

Nomad light build!!!

I had a xc 5in bike. Thought Id never outride it. I did, in like a year. Then I got my Nomad. It's white like Jesus's Robe! If my bed was bigger she would sleep between me and my wife. I love that bike. Anyway, sorry, Get a nomad. If your gunna climb alot build it light with easton stem and bars and go air shocks. Mine is built heavy. Weighs 36 lbs. Sunline bars and stem E13 2.5 up front. I can't hang with xc guys goin up but love when she goes down. Whish I woulda built it with a talas 36 and dhx 5 with ti spring.
    I now DH the bike and do fairly well. Thinking of selling the vanilla and goin totem 2step air. that'll get my 69 degrees a bit more slack.
    6 inch bikes are the best.
    Remeber, a little protein powder after each ride and you'll be fine.

I once had a dude on a 6000 dollar ibis say he wish he'd kept his nomad.

Oh btw it's not the bike. it's the rider!!!

Lopes is a prime example. He had like 2:4x or something down telonics in leaping lizard on 5.5 inches. My best time is prolly over double that!

8. Todd

Todd Member

I basically hate climbing --- I endure the up, just so I can get back down --- but I recognize that most of the trails I ride do, in fact, require me to go up before coming down. And I'm not sure how much better the Nomad is than the LTc on most descents. I rented a Nomad in Downieville (which I totally forgot about when I posted my review above) and it was fantastic going down those trails, but I think my LTc with the 160 fork would handle them just as well.

You really can't go wrong with either bike. And I'm still in the honeymoon stage with my LTc. I'm sure in another year I'll have my eye on the new carbon Nomad (which rumors say will be out next year).

9. santacruznomad

santacruznomad New Member

You Lie!!!

new carbon Nomad (which rumors say will be out next year).[/quote]

How does carbon hold up to abuse?
    I know gt has a dh carbon

10. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Lopes went 1:59/1:58 this year. Kevin Aiello did a 1:59 as well.

11. nimis

nimis New Member

Law Student
    I spoke to santa Cruz rep today he said the blur ltc frame is the strongest frame they have made to date.

12. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Nomad's rule.

Like mentioned you can go light (~29 lbs) or heavier like mine (38 lbs) and cover awesome ground on it.

I've done lift riding on it
    Ive done 30-40 mile trail rides on it
    I climb on it
    I bomb on it.

With a dropping seat post it IS the do everything bike.
    With a lyrik fork, you can crank it down to 110mm and climb like a goat.
    160 for the downs.... (yet they are able to handle a 180! RS needs a u turn TOTEM!!!)

I've got an XL nomad 1.5 if anyone wants to throw a leg over it

13. nimis

nimis New Member

Law Student
    ISCG Tabs

Can one of you guys do me a favor and see if your bikes have the ISCG tabs....thanks

14. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

my 08 does not have ISCG tabs. Ran a stinger with no issues

15. nimis

nimis New Member

Law Student
    ok what about the blur?

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

New Nomad has tabs but the blur doesnt.

17. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    I was on the Loop one night and a guy asked me how I liked my Nomad. I said I loved it, so I swapped bikes with him to let him try it(he was on a BlurLT) After 5 mins and me trying to keep up with him, he said, I should have gotten a Nomad.

18. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    I have a nomad and love it. I built it up light at ~31lbs, and ride most of aliso and LCWP including most of the light DH stuff. I've been considering the bltc because of all the climbing involved. The nomad can definitely handle the light DH and the climbs, but can the bltc handle the light DH??? Once again, love the nomad, but wouldn't mind shaving a few pounds off of it for the local climbs so I can extend my ride.

19. nimis

nimis New Member

Law Student
    NOMAD it IS

thanks guys really appreciate it. Nomad it is. The nomad has the tabs I need for the hammerschmidt cranks I want to install and seems like it is better suited for DH. I will keep my scott for climbing and the nomad for all around and DH. :beer:

20. G-MONEY

G-MONEY International Playboy

Infotainment
    Exactly right. It's actually stronger than the V10 frame according to Santa Cruz. If you want an all around bike that can truly do it all-- there is no question. Hands down-- the BLTc. The guys at Santa Cruz call it the "baby Nomad". But it depends on what type of riding you're into.