Road Ride Santa Barbara to OC

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Rob, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Next week, I'm going to do a lightweight overnight tour if anyone wants to join in.

The plan is to take the Sunday Morning 7:57AM Amtrak train from the Irvine Station to Santa Barbara. Arriving at 11:30 Ride from Santa Barbara to Leo Carrillo State beach in Malibu, about 70 miles. Camp there in the Hiker Biker site(3 dollars a person) then ride about a century the next day through all of the Socal beaches. I'll probably take the Newport Back bay and head towards RSM to get home.

http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may09/W31.pdf

I did this trip last year and it was a lot of fun.

The train trip will cost about 37 dollars, and I spent about 15-25 bucks a day on food.

I'll be bringing a solo one person tent(~3lbs), my 40 deg bag(1.5lbs), a Big Agnes Air Pad, a pair of swim trunks, second change of riding clothes, sandals, mini towel and a camp pillow. Along with other stuff I'd usually ride with. No cooking gear.

2. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

sounds like fun I had been thinking about doing the same thing please share a trip report. Hopefully I can start doing rides like this soon.

3. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

is Alan and Howard still goign w/ you on this trip?

4. Rob

Rob Active Member

I know Alan's going to San Francisco that weekend so he won't be able to make it.

You interested in going? If you don't want to camp, I'm open for splitting a Hotel.

Will do.

Hey if you're interested I'm also doing a Crestline to Big Bear overnighter coming up on Aug 9-10(on the MTB)

5. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    Damn sounds fun. Once I get a real roadie (one with "gears") and some more long distance miles I'd be down for something like this

6. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    sounds like fun Rob. would rather do the hotel that way I wouldn't have to carry everything.

wish i knew about this ahead of time and I could of planned it out and take my new road bike on it's first century!

7. Rob

Rob Active Member

Sorry so short notice. Let me know when you want to do this ride in the future. I get Sundays and Mondays off.

8. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

I'm curious what route you would take from crestline to big bear? I'm guessing dirt?

I've been looking at ways to link that area and also at getting from arrowhead to crestline. It feels like a route starting in my area going to arrowhead, then over to big bear and down the mtn has to be done soon, I'd like to make that trip by mid september.

So many options around here, I think its just time to start kocking them off and I need a camera that I haven't dropped. I don't think youd need to bring cooking supplies with that route so you could travel fast and hit some good trails.

Let me know what you are thinking, nice thing about that area is you are super remote then you pop out in big bear and there are a ton of food options.

I'm trying to get my bikepacking kit organized, I'm super unhappy with my last setup, and looking to rearange things/ buy a different thermarest so I can pack differently and not cary a backpack.

anyway your trip on sunday should be fun, let us know how it goes. do you have any pics of your bike all loaded up and ready to go?

J

9. Rob

Rob Active Member

It'll be dirt, hopefull some good singletrack, I'm riding with someone who lives there so he's making up the route. I'll record the info on my GPS.

I'll take pics of my roadbike setup, but I think I'm going to be using my Osprey Talon 22 backpack although I'd rather not.

I'm setting the bike up tonight, I'll take pics.

Rob

10. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Think it's 2n46, or big pine flat road. You can drive in on Van Dusen canyon and take it all the way past arrowhead.

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Here's a route map we use for ATV'ing

Attached Files:

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    More of a heads up and I would of joined you. Plan another but give a little more lead time. This is family weekend for me.

13. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    Do you pull a trailer? I have wanted to do a Santa Barbra to San Diego trip with a few friends that do this every year from college and they always have a blast. I was thinking about getting a cheaper trailer from target or wal-mart to hole my stuff because the bob trailers are so expensive. I might just make one since im not working this summer.