Road Ride Santa Barbara Century This Saturday

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by mingo1, Oct 21, 2010.

1. mingo1

mingo1 Yeti-Fat Boy

Workaholic
    http://santabarbaracentury.org/

I plan on riding this long century with enough hills to make anyone cry a little. Riding with a few road buddies and want to see who puke's first!

Anyone else taking on the Century??

This ride would make any Mtb'er happy with all the hill climbing!

:bang:

2. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    The century route is a really nice ride, especially if you like climbing! Never done this particular organized ride but ride with friends up there often. I'm in the Eastern Sierras this weekend camping, hiking, and road riding (Onion Valley and Whitney Portal).

Have fun and be safe!

3. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
    I'm will be there and riding the century! LMK if you want to meet up....

4. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

What awesome century!! the climbing was great leg workout. ;) hahaha Well supported SAG and stops and beautiful ride too!

5. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

This post answers a lot of questions. I was visiting SB over the weekend and did a lot of this loop unaware of the Century ride. I didn't ride until late afternoon, but I did see a few riders and a couple of "Sag" vehicles and wondered what was going on. Also, when I was riding down Painted Cave near Camino Cielo, I was wondering why I was getting angry looks from the locals... I guess they were tired of being buzzed by cyclists throughout the day. Wow, that climb up Gibraltar was rude!... but the view from Camino Cielo was incredible! I can't imagine doing that climb in the middle of a Century... Well done!

6. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Really? they were cheering for us going down Painted Cave.....

For first year century...it well planned and great SAG....but aside from the bids being made out of regular paper....it was awesome Century!

7. mingo1

mingo1 Yeti-Fat Boy

Workaholic
    I did the Century on Saturday and it was one of the hardest. The weather at 6AM was perfect at the start/finish line. We rolled at 6:30AM and the heavy mist started coming down. Made the first part of the ride nice and wet. The first warm-up hill was tough to begin with. I opted not to hammer up Gibraltar on the timed part since it was so early in the ride I wanted to have a decent overall ride time for the 100 miles. My time up was in the middle of the pack at 54 mins. Overall true ride time was 6hrs and 20mins. After the big hill I still felt strong enough to pick up the pace and have a good solid push back to the beach/finish.

Overall.... Great views, several hill climbs that you will not forget, roads not to busy and the SAG stops were great with food/endless supply of gu's and shot blocks! Would recommend the ride for any Roadie/Mtb'er that likes to climb! Now time to scale back for the winter and try to keep a descent base for the early spring training.

8. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Yea, I rolled out at 7:25 and total ride was 6:25:32 according to my Garmin. I will totally come back again!