Santa Ana's trail conditions(Harding/Maple Springs/HJ/Trabuco Rd Update)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by genusmtbkr5, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Impy

Impy Active Member

Does anyone know if access to the peak is still there from 4 corners? I don't know what the road is called up to the peak...

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

If your thinking about part of the VQ course, that would be Maple Springs which is close for now. Maple Springs is the climb after descending the MW. From 4C, access is open.

You can get to 4C via Harding or use part of the Traverse course which does not use Maple Springs, but that includes all the climbs prior to the Motorway and also the toughest sections of the Main Divide IMHO. See this post for pics of that section between Motorway and 4 Corners:
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/racing-training/50338-traverse-roll-call-2.html#post734913

3. Impy

Impy Active Member

The road I can't recall the name of is whatever goes from 4 corners to the peak. Yes I was thinking of continuing along Main divide to the peak. I don't know where Harding is.

Thanks.

4. genusmtbkr5

Ya that would be Maple Springs and it is closed to all traffic due to heavy equipment being used. From 4C, it's the Main Divide all the to the peak. That part is open. Harding will also lead you to 4C. Tougher climb than Maple Springs.
    Harding is in Modjeska Canyon. Trying to load GL, but it seems to be down

Try this link for Harding: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...ail,+Silverado,+Orange,+California+92676&z=14

5. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    It's a little confusing at Four Corners. If you're used to coming up Maple Springs Road, Harding is the graded dirt road that descends to your right before you "T" into the North Main Divide. As Gene said, it starts down in Modjeska Canyon and is a tougher climb than Maple Springs. It can be used as access to the peak and is just under 28 miles round trip.

If you climb it from the bottom, you'll hit the top of Maple Springs Road in 9.3 miles. Turn right and ride a tenth of a mile to North Main Divide, turn right again and continue to the peak.

6. tomcat7

tomcat7 Member

The section of road between 4 corners and Santiago Peak is North Main Divide Road 3S04. Maple Springs Road decends from Four Corners 5S04.

7. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Didn't read Gene's post before my ride...
    I spoke to the guys with the heavy equipment on Maple Springs today...(Rode B* to Motorway and was going to ride some of Maple Springs for training). They said they will be working Maple Springs for "the rest of the week" I assume that means the upcoming week, they didn't give me an open date.

They also said that Harding is up next and it will be closed for at least a week.

8. rob_aliso

rob_aliso Guest

Rode off Santiago Peak yesterday down to Holy Jim. The section of Main Divide about 1/2 mile from the peak is covered with ~10" of snow. Most of it is pretty soft on top and packed firm beneath. It is hard to ride. Had to hike most of it. Several sections of a hundred yards or so. Main Divide from 4 corners to the Peak is clear, although there is some snow on the side of the road near the top.

9. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    i wonder if theres any snow still on main divide between hj and west horsethief/trabuco? Anyone know? Planning on that ride this week and last time I went up The Wall when it was snowbound was no fun. Thanks.

10. Impy

Impy Active Member

If anyone here would give a shout out when Maple opens up, I'd appreciate it! :)

11. Mordi

Mordi New Member

Was up there above Trabuco today, and it was 88 degrees. Everything is pretty well dried out on Main Divide (at least from Bluejay to HJ)

12. genusmtbkr5

Looks like Maple Springs re-opened. I can't confirm, but there are several posted rides on Geoladders.

13. Impy

Impy Active Member

Oh wow. I may head over there tommorow.

14. scoth

scoth New Member

Can anyone confirm whether Harding is open? Thinking of riding tomorrow or over the weekend.

15. NO GO

NO GO Expert Beginner

Ditch Digger
    I rode it on Sunday 3/6/11. I was a little rough for the 1st 1/4 mile but after that, the trail was fine. I'm actually planning on riding it tomorrow.

16. kioti

kioti Active Member

You can try calling the USFS District office at (951) 736-1811 for current information.

17. scoth

scoth New Member

Santa Ana's trail conditions(BS, Harding/MS/HJ/Trabuco Rd) Updated 1-24-12)

Took a chance and went out this morning and rode Harding. Everything was great till I got 6 miles up. At the 6 mile point just when the trail lets up a bit, I met up with a bulldozer coming down the trail. I talked to the guy and he said he was the only one on Harding at this time but others from Maple Springs would be there next week. I guess bvader was correct. He wasn't sure but didn't think they would shut down the trail next week. Now I'm here to warn you that climbing that trail after he hit it with the dozer was difficult at best. Even coming back down the trail was somewhat challenging with the tracks and loose mid sections. The dozer was at least to mile 4 when I passed him going down. I would consider another climb for a couple of weeks unless you love pain.

18. kioti

kioti Active Member

Maybe when they bring the rest of the equipment they'll run a blade over it. I think they left it in pretty good shape the last couple times they worked it.

19. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    were you there on Wednesday? So was I! Did a HJ-west horsethief loop, was on main divide between 11 and 1. Nice temps up there but it was certainly warm when I dropped down into the canyon. Man I havent seen that much water there in a decade.

20. burritoh

burritoh New Member

Rode up Blackstar and down Holy Jim today. Main Divide is dried out and in good condition.

Coming up to Four Corners, working crews could be heard over on Maple Springs, so I imagine they were working on clearing out some of the debris (perhaps that fallen tree).

Holy Jim was simply awesome. Even coming down the wash was a blast. So smooth and fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.