Santa Ana's trail conditions(Harding/Maple Springs/HJ/Trabuco Rd Update)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by genusmtbkr5, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    Trabuco Canyon/Holy Jim access open?

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Read the post above yours. Looks like it's closed while they work on it, but tomorrow is a holiday. That's the latest.

I checked Geoladders and it there are no rides posted for that part of the Santa Ana's.

You can still access HJ or Trabuco, but it'll have to be Maple Springs, Harding or San Juan then up the Wall.

3. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    Thanks, I have a guest in from out of town to ride tomorrow and wanted to do that loop, HJ/TBCO...I read that it's closed while working on it, makes sense, I'll check it out...

4. OTB_again

OTB_again Hophead

Wireless site development
    Trabuco Creek Road is open, I drove by this morning and several cars were heading up. 3 large road graders are parked at the dirt staging area just off Live Oak Canyon Road. Looks like TCR got some much needed TLC...

5. burritoh

burritoh New Member

Joplin update

Rode Harding-Joplin for the first time yesterday. Aside from the deep ruts found near the upper part of the trail, lots of technical & fun sections to ride (especially for a first-timer). Definitely need to work on the skillz so I don't need to dismount as much. #-o

My riding buddy took some photos of the rutted section, but it looks like more dirt has filled in (compared to the photo above). The photos may be from a different part of the trail, but I don't recall encountering a rut as deep as the one shown above (in post #36).

Attached Files:

6. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Trabuco Creek Road is definitely open. I tried driving to the Holy Jim parking lot, but at the 2nd water crossing after you enter the forest, it looks like it's closed off to vehicles still.

Of course, I guess you could go around the closed signs, but make sure you bring some recovery gear just in case :)

IMG_20110118_155042.jpg

And if you plan on riding in, it'll be a bumpy ride. Lots of little babyheads along the way.

7. genusmtbkr5

Steve T from what I understand has been going up with his pick and filling parts of it. We plan to do lots of work on it as soon we can get vehicles up there.

8. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    HArding Truck Trail - Still Washed Out?

Has anyone ridden on Harding Truck Trail recently? The last time I rode it (12/28) it was washed out every other 100 feet or so - wasn't worth trudging through the mud. The weather has been great recently so I'm interested to see if the trail has improved 'cause I'd like to ride it this Sunday morning.

Thanks!

9. burritoh

burritoh New Member

Rode it for the first time on Sunday. Found the trail to be in great condition all the way to Four Corners.

10. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    That's great news!

11. corybaby

corybaby New Member

So has anybody ridden from maple gate up to four corners then over to Beeks? what about up to the peak and down the other side to Ortega?

Can you post some pics or give an update on the conditions? any complete washouts or badly damaged areas that are unrideable? Would appreciate it!

12. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    I've been up Maple Springs to Motorway as well as Blackstar to Motorway within the last 2 weeks, so that should cover Maple Gate to Beek's. All is well and totally rideable.

If you plan to come down Blackstar from Beek's there's a washed out section in Hidden Valley that will require you to dismount for about 10 feet.

13. genusmtbkr5

People have ridden Black Star to Motorway, Maple Springs to MW, Maple to Peak, HJ to Trabuco and reported no wash outs both here and on Geoladders. Minor slides along some parts of Main Divide but all are rideable.

Please read through thread as there some pics and updates. I and 3 others walked from WHT to Bluejay after trail work on Trabuco and WHT and there are no washouts or major slides. There were some boulders on the Main Divide that needed to be moved still which is why it remains closed to vehicles.

14. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Well the Forestry Service is aware, apparently it is a pretty big and active hive. A friend of ours is a bee rescuer (seriously) who lives in Silverado he is all things bees including local honey which is spectacular BTW. They are looking at a plan to possibly relocate them.

And FTR, I have been stung a number of times no worries, but that sucker hurt and a big portion of my thigh was bright red swollen, stiff and sore for about 3 days...darn Beestard!

15. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Ha! I posted that before the injuries, cuz even when 100% healthy that road still sucks!
    Smooth or not, it hurts to even think about it now.

16. genusmtbkr5

Got this email from USFS Trabuco Ranger
    District:

News Release
    Cleveland National Forest
    10845 Rancho Bernardo Road, San Diego, California 92127
    Voice (858) 673-6180, Fax (858) 673-6192, CRS/TTY 711

For Immediate Release
    Contact: Jake Rodriguez 951-736-1811; Brian Harris 619-937-1462

Trabuco Canyon Road Closed due to Storm Damage

Corona, CA, (Orange County) January 18, 2011- Trabuco Canyon Road at the entrance to the Cleveland National Forest will be closed to motorized traffic for an indefinite amount of time due to storm damage that resulted from the late December and early January rain events.

Severe rain storms resulted in flooding and mudslides throughout the Trabuco Ranger District, and the washout of the Trabuco Canyon Road. The road is impassible at the concrete ford sites, as well as several locations where nearly half of the road surface has been washed away.

“The series of storms we experienced on the District was one of the most damaging in over 50 years,” said Trabuco District Ranger, Keith Fletcher. “Silverado Canyon received over 15 inches of rain, Modjeska Canyon had over 18 inches of rain, and Santiago Peak had nearly 25 inches of rain in a very short period of time.”

An estimated $1.5million of storm damage exists on the District: $1million to roads; $250,000 to trails; and, $250,000 to campgrounds. The District is continuing to assess the damage and hopes to set a re-opening date for the Trabuco Canyon Road as soon as possible.

“It is likely that Trabuco Canyon Road will remain closed for the next few months,” added Fletcher. “Re-opening the road is of very high priority as it serves as access for several cabins in the canyon, as well as a key route for our fire response personnel.” With the tremendous amount of water that is saturated into the hillsides, the potential remains for deep-seated, slowing moving landslides in the comings weeks, or months. Any addition rain storms will serve to worsen the current situation, and intensify an already serious problem.

For members of the public that desire to access areas along the Trabuco Canyon Road, please contact the Trabuco Ranger District to check on the current conditions of the roadway. As the road is closed, it is advisable to “check before you go” to ensure your time is not wasted by being turned around at a road closure site. Trabuco Ranger District, Corona, CA (951-736-1811)

The Forest is continuing to assess the damage to the roadway, and is submitting for emergency funding through the Federal Highway Administration’s, Emergency Relief for Federally Owned Roads (ERFO) program. The intent of the ERFO program is to pay the unusually heavy expenses to agencies that manage road systems for the repair and reconstruction of roads damaged by natural disasters.

-CNF-

17. ridetillitburns

ridetillitburns Member

Acupuncturist
    does anyone know?

does anyone have the conditions on Harding to holy Jim and out?

Thanks johan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
  18. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

Harding truck trail has been great to ride for two weeks

19. iPhrankie

iPhrankie New Member

I'm curious about Trabuco Creek Road too. I see it's closed to vehicle traffic. Should it be a avoided by bikes as well?

I was thinking of parking at the wash and heading for Holy Jim to Trabuco trail this weekend.

20. genusmtbkr5

According to the USFS, bikes are ok. Not sure about parking at the wash though. You can call 951-736-1811

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.