Santa Ana's trail conditions(BS, Harding/MS/HJ/Trabuco/WHT, etc..,) >Updated 01-18-15

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Matt in Temecula, Mar 31, 2012.

1. throttlemire

throttlemire New Member

Magazine Publisher
    Home Page:
    Maple Springs RR

Anyone ride it today (12/27) or yesterday? Hows' the mud?
    thx

2. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    I rode it today... Solo...and I mean Solo ... MS to Motorway...not a single rider in fact only person I saw on the whole ride was a guy with 3 dogs about 2 miles up from the bottom gate.

It was fine, a few patchy soft / wet places...I managed to get up it on the SS with a little extra effort, main divide was fine few muddy spots, motorway was good. It was a bit brisk but very nice.

3. throttlemire

throttlemire New Member

Magazine Publisher
    Home Page:
    Thanks. It's a great time to ride, the trails are pretty empty :)

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Rode it on Monday, about 3 hours after it stopped raining.....was spongy, but no mud.

MS is a trail that you can ride during the rain.....yes, it does handle water well.

4 Corners to MW on the other hand gets pretty bad in the rain.....we did that weekend before last....no mud....but the super soft dirt made it feel like you were running much harder gearing.

5. bvader

Tech Guy
    Yeah mtnbikej is right ... The MD had a few pretty red mud squishy areas I picked my way through fine, but some more rain will make it pretty muddy ... But hey... What's a little sticky red mud between friends

6. OutSpokeNgrasshopper

OutSpokeNgrasshopper New Member

Aircraft Mechanic
    Maple springs to Santiago peak

Planning on doing this ride tomorrow (Tuesday 22) Last time I did this was a few weeks ago and there was snow and ice on the trails. Wasn't too fond of slipping and sliding on the ice going down Maple Springs. Anyone know if that melted yet? Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  7. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Terence, the suns been out and the road is open to all traffic. The Forest service opened the gate Saturday. They would keep it close if still unpassible by vehicle due to ice and snow.

8. smichaels

smichaels New Member

Build Supervisor
    My buddy and I rode on Saturday that included Blackstar, Main divide, Motorway, and Maple Springs to 4 Corners (training for Vision Quest). The conditions were perfect, but very busy on Maple Springs...there were lots of traffic, hikers, walkers with dogs, and a few other mountain bikers. There were only very small patches of left over ice in a few shady corners of the trail, but otherwise perfect.

As we were coming down motorway, came across the Warriors Society doing a ton of work on the trail, thanks for all of your hard work.

9. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Rode Maple Springs to Motorway this morning in a very light, warm rain. It was absolutely gorgeous. My bike was unbelievably clean when I got to 4C. No mud on my tires even. Low temp on my garmin read 57 deg. Didn't even need the jacket I brought. A few soft spots between 4C and MW, but nothing to get you dirty even. No snow to be seen, but I didn't venture toward Modjeska Peak. Weather report is calling for lowering snow levels, so I expect by Sunday night there's gonna be snow again above 4C.

10. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Wowza. It was raining so hard in the morning that I thought everyplace would be a mudfest, and opted to do indoor things.

11. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    I will do this route by Wed, hope to see some snow =)

12. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

NOAA sez snow level 5800' today, most precip before 10am Sunday. Sun nite <1/2" accum @ 5000'.

Dodgy prospects for white sighting, CL :)

13. strobe

strobe resident noob

Any update for today on Maple all the way up to Santiago Peak? Might do this monday.

14. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    Just did MS to 4 Corners this morning with no issues, but heard there was a landslide near Santiago Peak.

15. bvader

Tech Guy
    We rode MS -> Motorway. Very nice, a little soggy here and there but overall fun.

One thing and when we were sitting yaking at the bottom of the motorway....rumble...rumble....crash...crash.... somewhere behind us (South East) ...a BIG bolder came down...we couldn't see it but we certainly heard it.

I think some of the hills are getting a bit saturated

Anyways...great day to ride!

-Steve

16. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    Really? Can anyone confirm? I was planning on riding MS to the peak and down the HJ's on Saturday.

17. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Yes, there is a small rock slide near the peak. It was reported to me by 2 other WS members. There was a volunteer at the Maple Springs visitor center so I told him and he would add it to his report to the FS.

From what I was told by the 2, it's not a big slide and they removed as much as they could and said that a vehicle can make it through so
    bikes will have no issues getting by. Since it's been sunny of late, it may already been taken care of.

Just FYI, This is the reason the gates get closed during rains. Typically, it will close for a period of 48-72 hrs after rains to allow the roads to dry out. The FS service doesn't want vehicles up there then a slide happens trapping them up there. Also when it gets muddy up there, there is not enough traction for some of the cars that go up Maple Springs, ITT, or North Main Divide also leaving deep ruts and holes by 4x4 that do have traction. I was at the Forest Service meeting last Saturday and this was one of the topics covered.

For those who like to drive up to 4 Corners, but wonder about the gate status during or after it rains, the Maple Springs gate has the status posted at the Silverado Fire Station. This sign reflects the status of that gate so you do not need to drive all the to Maple Springs only to find out it's closed.

IMG_0305.jpg

18. TreeTopMike

TreeTopMike New Member

We did both sides of s. peak Monday, and there were several areas where some boulders had come down. ....But, everything, albeit slushy and cold, was rideable.

19. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    still snow up there?

I was thinking about maybe hitting joplin tomorrow. does anyone know if theres still snow on main divide and joplin? I enjoy seeing the snow but id rather ride joplin snow-free. thanks

20. xtremeMTB

xtremeMTB Member

They should really just update the site more often because if I'm riding all the way up there the fire station is not all that far away from the gate. I'd rather know when I'm at home before I gear up and head out expecting to ride.