santa ana cyclist to pay $400 for running stop sign

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by tink bell, Nov 4, 2009.

1. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    He ran the stop sign knowing full well he should have stopped. He deserves the ticket.

2. Gnutz

Gnutz \m/ ( > < ) \m/

Carpenter
    Who cares.

I got a ticket at a skatepark for no elbow pads. I had knee pads and a helmet on at the time the Officer came into the park and sidelined me. I got TWO tickets. One for No Elbow pads and One for Not Obeying a sign...

The cost. $396.

So, It could be worse for the dude that ran the Stop sign. He could have got a third ticket for disobeying the Stop sign.

3. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Riddle: What type of cyclist "runs" a stop sign?
    Answer: A cyclo-crosser?

4. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Bikes should be treated as cars when we can use the whole lane and not be run off the road.

If the motorists are going to complain that we don't follow all the rules of the road, then we should be given a full lane. Yeah I know we have bike lanes, but only on about 1% of streets and 99% of that 1% is un-ride-able due to poor road conditions or debris in the middle of the lane.

I know there is a law that states that we can take up a lane if there is more than 1 lane in that direction and to ride as close as practicable, which means we can take the lane if need-be, but 99% of motorists don't know that. So follow the law and get ran over, or don't follow the law to stay alive. So if we can't follow our one law that gives us a right to stay on the road safely, why should we have to follow all the others?

If I get pulled over I am going to say, "Thanks officer! Now we can both go track down the guy that ran me off the road violating (state the correct part of the vehicle code here) of the vehicle code book giving me the right to take over this lane! So glad you are here to help a cyclist out for once by enforcing the laws that matter to us most!"

5. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

Wot brah? Bodder you?

LOL, da local way.

Hehehehehe How long have you been in the 808?

So true though. Skateboarding would be a death row crime if Hawaii had the death penalty.

My fave was on Beretania (super busy one way street which is 3, sometimes 4 lanes wide heading into downtown HNL), light is red, kid on a skateboard is hanging onto the tailgate. Guy turns right from the left turn which is 3 lanes over shouting "No ka oi, no ka oi, no ka oi", up the ADA ramp, and over the sidewalk to get to the gas station on the corner. Kid is still hanging on 'cause he wants the free tow. Cop just shakes his head and gives a slight smirk. Light changes, everyone just pulls away shaking their heads but snickering as well.

Stuck at next light, who pulls up? Truck with kid still there. Light changes, truck takes off ahead of everyone and dissappears. Cop keeps driving with his cellphone to his ear.

6. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I can top it ,check back later.

The J-Wheelie.

So it was the fourth of July

7. pinoiryder

pinoiryder New Member

Logistics Manager
    It says on the letter "Bail Amount $397" it seems like someone forgot to go to the court, what the system is doing now a days is you will not received any letter from the court, all you will received is the Bail letter from them.. this is how they get you to pay more money..

8. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    haha, been here since August. Going to school here at UH Manoa. Going to be here for another 2 years though. haha. I take it u used to live in Honolulu? What part?

9. danophoto

danophoto New Member

Like many bikers, I learned the hard way that bikers must follow the same rules of the ROAD as vehicles. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a ticket to remind you. Pay for your ticket and follow the rules of the road...(lesson learned.)

10. Fewinhibitions

7 years on the Westside, 7 yrs Northshore and 3 years Haiku/Kaneohe.

Have property on the Big Island. It's still home.

11. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    Your point???

I don't understand what you're trying to prove by posting Idaho laws to support some guy's complaint--IN CALIFORNIA. For your knowledge (as well as poor, now misinformed, Dizle), California riders are required to come to a COMPLETE STOP and set one foot down, when at a stop sign. No California rolls!#-o

Only problem with your assessment is that the law posted by Georgia is for...IDAHO#-o...you live in CALIFORNIA#-o!

12. goldrunner

goldrunner New Member

Construction offsite Superintendant
    After reading this and doing a road ride today I freaked every time I saw a cop. I don't have any priors, but $397 could go towards some great bike gear..

13. bike runs stop sign gets hit by car

car runs stop sign they kill someone

not to fair how i see it...

14. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

My point was merely that other states are starting to differentiate between cars and bikes, not that we should start running stop signs. I did not ever state that it was a California law or right, as you can clearly see (otherwise, you would not have been able to point out that it is NOT California law by using MY quote).

I actually only posted that because I thought you seemed rather aggressive on your attack of Dizle, and to show that it was not such a wild notion. However, from the response above, it seems that you are just an aggressive person looking to attack in a passive agressive satirical way, mistaking that for a clever, humorous, and underhanded insult.

I don't think Dizle was misinformed, my post CLEARLY states that it is an IDAHO law and I'm pretty sure that Dizle knows the state that he resides in.

For the record, I stop at signs and red lights, even the Tstops in HB around Main. Also, I have been in a huge group of riders, each one putting their foot down at a sign, impeding traffic, until the cop said "just go, move along".

15. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    LOL, the H.P.D. double standard. Ask me sometime about my day fishing, afternoon on Police Beach, and the drive home with a couple of retired HPD cops...

Back to the thread, maybe just practice trackstanding at the stop signs.

16. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    Grrrrr!

Yes, I prey on the passive, in a very satirical and aggressive way...grrrrrrr...hoping to insult in a very underhanded, though clever and humorous manner...:lol::lol::lol:. What was your point again?#-o

17. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Believe bikes can treat stops as yield in Colorado too. Believe cars can get ticketed if they come closer than 3 feet to a bike in CO too. Progressive laws in progressive states designed to protect all road users. California used to be pretty progressive too.... Several decades ago. Fact is that bikes and cars stop and start differently and as such road rules need to take that into consideration.

18. paulbschmidt

paulbschmidt KNEEL BEFORE ZOD

Vice President of Loaded Precision Products, speci
    Home Page:
    yeah its definitely no joke. I was headed over to the Path about a year ago for the Sunday ride, stopped to get coffee at that Weinerschnitzel and on my way across the street, rode through the red (Sunday at like 7:15am, no cars) and I got pulled over in the parking lot of the Path.

Didn't get a ticket, but got a good lecture.

PBS

19. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    And let's not forget, most traffic tickets are given because 5-0 needs to fill up the bonus pool and has quotas to meet. Traffic tickets are a method of taxation, not law improvement. I recieved a speeding ticket in Bonelli Park at 6:30 am on a Sunday Mroning for going 35mph in a 25 mph zone. The park was completely empty (except for me and the cop) He was smart and wrote the speed as 55mph on the ticket (impossible). He also checked PM instead of AM on the ticket so it looked like I went very fast in the park when other people were around. $300 and a point on my DL.

20. Fewinhibitions

Do tell...

LOL! I used live across the harbor from Police Beach for years. One of my favorite places to surf too.