Ride Report Sant Ana Mtns Epic....My Way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Oct 28, 2013.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Santa Ana Mtns Epic....My Way

Me and My Bike.......ask and you shall recieve.

10-19-2013

Been riding a lot this year. Towards the end of August I decided to start throwing in some longer rides. Wanted to start exploring some of the other areas of the the Santa Ana's.

Started led out just before sun up on Saturday morning. Knew it was supposed to warm up. Arm warmers, knee warmers and a vest. Hopped on the TallboyC 1x9 and Rolled out of the garage and started my way toward Oaks. Quick ride through the flats in the Oaks....and it was pretty cold. Get out to Chapman and Jamboree and head out Santiago Canyon to Blackstar. Dropping down Dump Hill towards Irvine Lake was just stupid cold...too cold. My wife would pass me in the car near Limestone as she was meeting me for the Blackstar section of my ride.

We head on up Blackstar and realize that there are a lot o people out early. I was struggling a bit....I was already at 15 miles when we hit the entry gate @ Blackstar. My wife was stiff fresh and pushed the pace a little. I knew I had a long way to go, she was only going to Beeks and back. Felt like I was really slow...felt like she was really fast. Reached Beeks and saw our time was 1:09 gate to gate....better than I thought.

Said adios to the wife and headed up Main Divide towards the Doplar Ball. Lots of high school XC runners out. Passed a few going up as they were coming down. Up and down and up and down and up and down along the Main Divide.....destination ahead.....Eagle Rd. This would be new dirt for me. Was supposed to be a road, but seemed more like singletrack. Took it a little easy in the descent...didn't know what was in front of me. Fun DH...passes a few hunters. At the bottom of the trail, you are dropped into someone's garage....voice rings out "this is private property"....oooops sorry. I would later find out there is a bypass up the trail a little bit to stay of the property...but there is no sign there.

Hop onto the streets of Corona for a few miles....actually goes by pretty quick. Next destination: Skyline Dr.

Reach the bottom of Skyline and finally removed the knee warmers....was starting to get warm to hot. This time of morning there are tons if people on the trail...and very minimal shade. Run across some of the XC runners that u had seen earlier. Began the slow flogging up Skyline. Been riding this more lately and it seems to go by much quicker. However with the heat and constant sun beating down on you, it seems much worse. A little under an hour later I reached the top. Woohoo....a little more than halfway done with the ride. Next destination: Sierra Peak

Made the right hand turn at the towers and started the up and downs out to Sierra Peak. I do enjoy this part of the Main Divide because there is usually no one out there. A nice breeze almost always blows out there. Stopped to yell at a guy on a motorcycle trying to get around a gate to poach a closed road. Reached the top of Sierra Peak. Next Destination: Coal Canyon

At the top of Coal Canyon as I rolled up to take a break, ran into a couple of friends just cresting the top at the gate of Coal Canyon. They were on thier own epic ride. Chatted with them and had a snack, and we parted ways. Discovered Coal Canyon a couple of months ago and have really been enjoying it....completely different than anything else in the SA's....plus again usually no one out there. Begin the 5.5 mile descent and flowing along. Knew there are 2 turns that come up quick and can bite you if not paying attention. Thought I knew the line.....wrong!!! Went in too fast an on the wrong side....thought it was a different turn. Over the hump, leg out and bike sideways.....saved it...barely, thought I was going down for sure. Pulled myself back together and continued on. Rolled on down under the 91 Fwy an picked up the SART. Was still hot and was running low on water...fortunately there are drinking fountains in Featherly Park. Traversed over Gypsum Canyon to Santa Ana Canyon Rd, then up Weir Canyon. Next destination: Oaks

Picked up the horse trails at Serrano...sun still beating down on me. Pretty neat trail system...with an old boardwalk and a tunnel. A few of the climbs are in the rough side. Eventually reached the connector trail to get back in Weir Canyon Park/Oaks. For the most part all of the climbing was done....save for all the climbs getting back up to Barham Ridge. Plugged along....it was now almost 2:00 and I am beat....and cooked....and hungry, but I reached the top of Barham Ridge. Yes, the climbing is done. Flew down Barham, then down Chutes Ridgeline and back over towards the entrance of the park.

Was as trying to get in 75 miles...and based on the calculations I was gonna come up about 4 miles short. Toyed with the idea of doing a quick loop around Irvine Park, but decided to call it a day. Exited the park by Mabury Ranch knowing that I was 20 minutes from home. The bike path was smooth and there is always a head wind.

Rolled back into into the garage. It was after 3:00.

70 miles....9200' of climbing.....7:45 pedal time. Was a really fun ride.

Sorry no pics......was having waaaaayyyyy to much fun.

www.strava.com/activities/90081922

2. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    And THAT is a solid ride. Any ride that crosses a mountain range is alright by me.

Nicely done! :beer:

3. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Insane Jason!!...great job!!!!

4. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    You must be in great shape, i know i cannot do 70miles.

Great loop...

5. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Nice!!!

6. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    Your freaking crazy!!!! Holy hell those are some miles. I would of called it a day at beeks!. Awesome rr, keep em coming!

7. sjcastellano

sjcastellano New Member

Teacher
    Epic ride!! Nice work man.

8. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Eagle is a fun climb and decent that gets little traffic. Another good loop is b* skyline up eagle and down the motorway. Not nearly as epic is your all day adventure. Awesome job and a great read.

9. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Way to put in the miles, mbj.

10. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    That's really cool, Jason! I love Coal Canyon, too, as an interesting climb (???) and a fast and challenging descent. Can't believe you put all that together.

11. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

How's this compare to Leadville? Hint hint. ;)

12. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    that is INSANE!! I wish I could ride that many miles

13. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Nice Jason, said I wanted to ride with you .... uhhhh now not so sure ;)
    Great Job!

14. mtnbikej

Thanks......thinking about adding in a loop through Chino Hills Park to get the milage up.

Next one it want to tackle is Maple/4 Corners/Bedford/Eagle/Motorway.

last month knocked out a 72 miler/8000' on the SS.....but this one was more fun.

15. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Wow!!! What a great ride.. I am jealous of that one.. what a kickass route.. wish I could do it but I am confident in my lack of climbing skills.. too many chairlifts and shuttles for me but damn it would feel awesome to be able to pull this one off.. between this and the recent Baldy session Grego took part in, these are awesome rides!

16. mtnbikej

My days of chairlift ridig are over. Prefer to push myself and suffer a bit on the climbs.