San Juan SS suffer-fest, er I mean group ride

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by allison, Apr 26, 2007.

1. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

allisoni like riding my bike
    Request Reminder
    05-12-2007
    Sauce and I are planning on getting together to SS San Juan on Sat, May 12.

Join us at the lower trailhead (yup, we're so masochistic we're climbing up) at 8:30 am.

SS preferred, but not required. All bikes and riders welcome, as long as you can pedal as fast as I can walk my SS up to Cocktail Rocks 8-[

I'd like to say we're planning on doing the route below, but if for some reason the group is beat we can always head back down after Cocktail.

Geoladders -- Old San Juan Trail

2. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

I am sure that it won't really be a big deal br0. Join in.

3. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Technically, yes--I heard all shifters will be soldered in place at the trailhead, so be sure to select an appropriate gear in advance.

Could've heard wrong, though. I think a few gearies will be out there, so you won't be suffering any trash talk alone.

4. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

soooooo that means you're IN right?:-k :lol: :bang:

5. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I think we're in, too. :)

On SS, of course, don't want to be ostracized by the group (hahah)

6. klutter

klutter Member

count me in

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Naw, pretty sure Mark from SDMBA will be there with his Bullit, and I think that Woody will be on his NOMAD hopefully. No cheating with his lighter bike. He's fast enough as it is ;) Pretty sure everyone else will have SS's.

If you're worried about it, though, seriously... I'm gonna be pretty slow I think. SSing isn't my strong suit, and climbing will be tough for me. I'm gonna try my best to ride everything and not walk too much. I know San Juan isn't super steap, but still.

Bring your geared bike out, whatever. We're just trying to have fun! But, we do get to claim you're faster up and down because of gears [-X

CHEATERS! :protest:

:p

8. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Can anybody tell me how to get there from west la? Should I bring fat tires or skinny ones?

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Um, from WLA you probably won't want to drive to the 15 :D

If you click on the geoladders link in the sticky on the left hand side you'll find trail info and click on Find Trailhead. It'll open up Google maps. Just type in your addy or zip code or whatever and it'll give you directions. I'd say it's maybe 10 miles East of the 5 on Ortega/74. You'll come around a corner and there will be the Lazy W ranch and the San Juan fire station. Turn left there to go behind the fire station. It's about 1-2 miles on the dirt road and the trailhead parking is on the left. You'll see all the cars.

Or, just follow Keith!

As for tires... I'm running 2.1 Nevegal's front/rear. They worked really well on our shakedown ride last night. Will post a RR shortly.

10. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    thanks ... i have one of those 2.1 Nevegals ... Keith lives in Rancho ... i'm going to get so lost! I'm "directionally challenged." for reals.

11. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Its quickest to take the 405 south to San Juan Capistrano and get straight onto the 74. (Its a few junctions past my place.) Either that or car pool with me.

Didnt get chance to touch the SS last night so its either a lunch time build up or I'm riding the SJ.......oh and I'm sick too - not that I'm making excuses for a poor performance! :lol:

12. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

Girl its pretty simple!! 5 South on Ortega/74 East thats a left than go on for a few till u get to the Fire station than quick left!:bang:

bwt dont pass the fire station b/c u will get lost!! Been there done that!!:lol: 8-[

13. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    You know how to get to the 5, right? And this is so cal so I can call THE FIVE. Find the sign that says and points to 5 South :D Then take that through OC down past Irvine and Laguna Niguel, etc. Watch for signs to Highway 74 East/Ortega Highway. Turn left. You'll go past some neighborhoods and a big polo field. Then it'll turn into a 2-lane road. When you get about 8-10 miles in just watch out for a fire station on the left side of the road. If for some reason you pass it, just wait for a turn out and U-turn. Take the dirt road behind the fire station to the parking lot.

You'll be fine!

Dude, no. You are riding a SS or I will chain you to a tree in the parking lot. Seriously ;) Justin rode Noble on his Slowcom while really sick last Saturday. Go out and get some Zicam chewables to make the cold get better faster (I've been chewing on them for 3 days and was taking Airborne for a week before that).

Otherwise I get to pick a gear for you and duct tape the gears like Woody is doing :bang:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  14. Keith B

Legionnaire of Life
    The firestation is also signposted for the Lazy W Ranch. Its after the long straights on the 74 and round a few corners. The turn itself is on a slight right hand bend so be careful.

LMAO!! I usually have to pay for the kind of duct tape action you're talking about there.:lol: I had a multi vitamin, cod liver oil capsule, strong coffee and fever reducer. Will go and hit up the zinc chewies at lunch time :(

15. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Good. I'm also going to tie fishing line to your bike so you can pull me uphill, even though you're sick.

16. Keith B

Legionnaire of Life
    As an engineer I'm going to vacuum seal that fishing line and inject liquid nitrogen so it becomes solid therefore allowing you to push me uphill..........although it may snap..........and bends will be a problem :lol:

Because I'm running a 40tooth cog on the back I'd better bring up the rear - oh and I swapped out the front to a 20chainwheel - hahahaha!

17. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    No S/S for ME!

I may try to join you guy's.

My son mentioned riding at Oaks, but when it comes to getting up early on Saturday's, he has a rough time.

Also, no S/S for me. I'm to much of a WUSS for that!#-o
    If I'm gonna work that hard going up hill, it's gonna weigh 39lbs, and have 7 inches of travel.:clap: :bang:

18. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    hahaha ... i knew keith would find some reason to ride sj over s-s! omg. how funny. :p

actually, i don't exactly know how to get on the 5 either ... it's 405 n to the 5? i think you people underestimate how bad my navigation skills are ...

keith, i rode that s-s as is in my race last weekend ... it worked fine! i hope you feel better!

oh, should i run the nevegal up front or in the back?

19. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Let me get this straight... you're running a 20/40 setup? Do they even make cogs that big?? You could be running the most whacked gearing on the trip and you'd still be in the front of the pack.

Crash, it'd be sweet to get a chance to ride with you! Hope we see you out there. You won't be the only one on a big bike (as mentioned, there may be a Bullit and a Nomad out there as well). We'll all be suffering one way or another ;)

Oh man! Just go to the directions page and print them out. Follow whatever they say :) The estimated time should be fairly spot on since there won't be much traffic early Sat morning.

20. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    i think keith is planning on taking my bmx bike ... right? :) it is at his place ... just sitting there all week ... and he got tempted! actually, i think keith might have been more tempted my sierra nevada! more water and less beer = healthy keith.