Ride Report San Gabes, Sunday

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Pato, Jun 29, 2008.

1. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

which means you wanna do it again? Am I right?:wave: if so, i have to join you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  2. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    I rode up sunday JPL to redbox later in the afternoon. It was freakin hot about Oakwilde campground. So many bugs. it was a tuff climb but well worth it. El Prieto is cool but too short imo. Not much snakes this Sunday which is great. San gabs area trails are the real deal. Next time try the Mt. Lowe railway to inspiration to sunset then to El Prieto. Thats a bad ass ride, dangerous but exilerating (alot of exposure and soft sandy stuff.

3. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Well, like I tell ODB, Hanzo & Davidb all the time, if you're not sore by the time we're done riding, we didn't ride it hard enough. I suppose that means you rode it hard and rode it well yesterday. GCBY! :lol:

4. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    So did any of you guys meet my good friend over there, besides Pain and Suffering? P.O. is his initials? Itchy and Scratchy are his cousins?

5. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    Po

Poison oak is everywhere, easy to avoid just keep riding.
    Now the mosquitos.... Those little SOB are everywhere and unavoidable. Even the flys bite.

6. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    Absolutely! \\:D/ Where do I sign up? :D :bang:

Rode it hard we did. Damn it felt good to push myself that hard again. It's been a long time.

What David's last picture of me dropping off the retaining wall doesn't show is me falling over climbing that five foot hill in the background. Both my quads cramped up and locked my legs straight. I just fell over and did a horizontal track stand for a bit. I thought I was going to die right there and then. :lol: I was questioning the wisdom of going through with the drop, but I figured WTH, I'm already at the exit. If something were to go terribly wrong I'd at least be very accessible to the emergency responders. So off the wall I went. Good thing I had a full suspension cause my legs gave out on landing and the bike had to take the full brunt of the force. Rode the last couple hundred feet to the cars and laid there next to my car for a couple of minutes trying to prevent my quads from locking up again.

So what? Double loop this weekend? :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. davidB

davidB Active Member

there's the rumor of that same loop again this sunday [​IMG]

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Let me know when you guys are ready to do Upper Winter Creek and over to Mt Wilson Trail. It has been long enough for me to forget that climb.

12.26 miles
    3115 up
    4750 down

Dean

Attached Files:

9. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    If it's on a nice, cool, Sunday, I'd be in!
    I haven't done that one yet. :clap:

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Funny you say that. We had a friend who did exactly that one afternoon after a ride.After we did this ride, same ride/route and same wall. Busted out all his teeth and broke his jaw. He gave up mountain biking after that I heard. His name escapes me at the moment though. Good Ol Slappy will remember who it was???

11. VTVic

VTVic New Member

IT Guy
    Funny you say that, I was thinking about this ride for this weekend but my inlaws are in town. Even if it's hot, I'm ready if its early in the am.

12. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    I'd be up for this as well!

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Bummer, I really like this ride even though it's a little short. I'll catch you guys next time. An early start sounds like a good idea as it looks like it's warming up and we all know Vic is part Eskimo.

14. stjunkie

stjunkie New Member

I was feeling sore riding into work today. I was a last minute entry and I'm glad I went. Thanks David for setting it up. Luckily we got a fairly early start and there was still some shade on LSM. The hikers were a good excuse to rest. Somebody asked me if it was an easy climb for me and I had to admit that LSM is never an easy climb. I made it up the steps on the tough left switchback but couldn't make the turn, damn those 29" wheels. Once we headed downhill it was all worth it.
    Good to put some more faces to the names on the site. I think this was the first time actually riding with Joe Truth after knowing him for awhile.
    Also nice to be on others first ride in the San Gabes.

I only got a few pics which means I was having too much fun to pull out the camera.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I might be interested in doing that loop the weekend after this one coming up. Considering how hot it's been, I'd like an early start. The Wilson Trail spits out about an 1/8th of a mile north west of my house. We can start from here and end here. Of course, some cold ones and possibly a BBQ could be a thought worth considering. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the HAB section starting just above Hogee off of UWC. That's not exactly a walk in the park. I did it ONCE years ago and there is a good reason why I haven't done it in so long.

Keep me posted, Dean

16. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

You, sore? I call b.s. You're one of them mutants who never tire and don't need water. I think you're playing humble. Nice try! ;)
    I've only seen one guy make it all the way through the whole turn and that was because he had good trials skills. No other way to get up it but hop. I usually barely make it to the bottom of the first step before I collapse. #-o 8-[
    It's peculiar we haven't ridden after all these years but good to finally see you in action.
    Hey, where's the pic of me taking the P-line, Scott? :lol:

17. VTVic

VTVic New Member

IT Guy
    HAB! what HAB? No HAB's on this ride :lol: BBQ at the end sounds really nice.
    Actually, considering the traffic coming back down on LWC, going up Mt Wilson Trail is not a bad idea. An early start is also good due to the limited parking. Don't even think about finding a parking spot by 8:00am on a weekend. Unless of course we start from the bottom before the gate on Santa Anita :-k

18. davidB

davidB Active Member

Pato tends to be my test subject as of late. Guess it's a benefit of playing sweeper
    [​IMG]

19. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    That's why I sport the full face for ALL my riding now. :D

I don't think I'll ever give up biking due to injury unless it was debilitating and prevented me from riding ever again. [-X

20. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, but the payoff that short HAB is soooo worth it. I know it's a struggle getting up to Zion but the amount of dh you get for it almost feels like you're cheating.