San Fernando Valley and Simi Trails availability

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by 1waterpologirl, Oct 22, 2008.

1. office

office Member

I rode up/down Chumash yesterday. The fire went through but the trail is still okay-not too much erosion and not burned near the top. Everything near the bottom is completely burned though.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=5028369&postcount=16
    Some good pics from another thread ^

Also a CSUN student BTW

Anybody ever ridden up Black Canyon road? I rode to the entrance from the Simi side and there were a lot of signs warning against cycles and trespassing, etc, etc. I heard its pretty steep, but I have a triple on my road bike. I've been up Balcom canyon a whole bunch of times.

2. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Black Cyn according to a friends GPS has an average grade of 30%. I drive up it all the time to get to Sage Ranch (Boeing facility). Reason for the no bikes sign is the road is VERY narrow with a lot of blind corners and it is a private road, well, a public road passing through private land. I do see guys riding it on a daily basis.

3. Jutty

Jutty STR Lurker

Manufacturing/IT
    I could not even imagine riding up black canyon...my legs hurt just thinking about it. But it would be a dangerous ride for sure with how narrow and windy it is. Mat you been back up to the facility recently? I have been back up a couple times since we went. I now have clipless so want to see how quickly I can finish that trail now that I am also more comfortable on the bike.