Ride Report San Clemente Singletracks

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Garrett, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I decided on Monday that I wanted to change it up a bit from my usual Aliso and Laguna loops, so I headed south down the coast to check out the San Clemente Singletracks AKA the weedpatch. Well, I had been here once before, but I was new-ish to riding at the time and didn't know that there are certain riding spots that you should really avoid after rain. So my first time there was sort of a disaster. Live and learn, right?

The first time was bad enough that I didn't feel compelled to return for another 3 years. This time around, "wet and greasy" was replaced with "dry and dusty" typical for this time of year. Even with better conditions though I was pretty underwhelmed by this place. From what I read about it online, and from people I have talked to in the past, it sounded like a pretty cool little riding spot with lots of flowy variety and the occasional bridge. What I found was for lack of a better term pretty boring.

First off I dropped in to Holeshot which was pretty rad - lots of flow, fun grade reversals, a few sketchy bridges, and good fun overall. If the whole place was like that, I would have been pretty stoked. After Holeshot I hung a left up another trail, not sure the name, that took me back up to about 50yds from where I started. This time I rode past Holeshot and hung a left down Blue Chair, which was nothing special, just a mildly undulating traverse. I took a left at one of the fire roads that Blue Chair crosses, and up another singletrack to the top of a lookout point with a small bench at the top. The trail that took me down the other side, "Wall Street" according to Strava, was possibly the most boring trail I've ever ridden down. I find it hard to not have fun when going downhill on a bike, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling this one at all. So again, I took another right at the bottom, onto what I assume was the trail called "No tools", which took me up to a fire road. From the fire road I hooked back up to Blue Chair, which took me back to the beginning for a second Holeshot loop. After which I was running out of time, and had to call it a day.

So yea, pretty underwhelming. Not sure what I am missing about this place. I'd like to revisit soon, because I feel like I'm missing something here. The route I did just felt like way to much work for not enough fun. It was almost frustrating. Can any locals share their favorite trails, or loops?

2. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    you need to go with someone who knows the trails...there are better trails than whole shot, you just need to know how to find/link them.

3. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Yeah. that place sucks. no one should ride there ;p

trust me when I say you haven't seen half of it. there its a mix of rolling single trackand fire roads layed out in loops, so no matter which way you go, you can pretty easily get back.

I like to head South after holeshot, and follow the ups and downs all the way to the state park campground before climbing the fireroad back to the top, then drop down to the ridge/middle, and follw the trails (like Bluechair) back.

4. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    +++ ride it at night...way more fun!

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I have much more fun at Weedpatch when I take my rigid single speed out there.

Dean

6. shawndoh

shawndoh New Member

It's all about expectations right- I don't think anyone is gonna say the Patch is as good as Aliso/Laguna, but there is fun to be had there.

7. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    man garrett, first you hate on sart now your hating on scst? Are you even a real mountain biker? ;)

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Too many trails there and variations to do out there and if you don't the trails and which way it flows, you'll get frustrated. You really need a guide out there cause the trails cross each other and it's all about direction that makes Weedpatch fun. PM el cap or team smitty, they know the trails there.

9. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Garrett if you think weedpatch is bad, I suggest you stay away from me and my crew and on our exploration rides.

Dean

10. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    I agree, weed patch is awesome for SSing.

Just spend a few more times exploring out there and I'd be very surprised if you don't some to like it. For a long time I tried to ride a new piece of dirt every time I was out there, which was a lot easier to do than it sounds. I rode it solo a lot, and eventually got a good feel of the place.

11. nomadFF

nomadFF Member

LACoFD
    Sounds like you hit all the best trails there, dont know what to tell you. I guess you should just keep riding Aliso....

12. wheeler

wheeler Member

You want excitement.........

Wait for it.....

Fully loop!

13. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

Somebody call the waaaaambulance.

14. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    the weed patch is awesome if you know the people that built the killer singletracks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
  15. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

New dirt is fun even if it underwhelms.

It's not my favorite place, but a decent experience just the same.