saddle sore treatment

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Jslow, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Blueman

Blueman New Member

I have to say that in general this is a major OVERSHARE thread. However, I'll join the party... The only time I've ever had saddle soars is when I used to comute to and from work. The solution was cleanliness, you shorts and yourself. Alcohal works the best when you can't shower. (Plus there a nice cool/burning sensation).

2. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

I swear I shower at least once a week and change shorts every 15 or so hours... i mean I'm as clean as mountain biker should be.

I've been wearing some expensive pearl shorts and some bibs with nice chamois... yea I don't do the cheapo shorts unless I'm gonna ride less than an hour, Maybe I'll just start riding nude at night?

J

3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Long term cure is to ride SS. In fact you could ride (stand, OK?) with no time off.

4. Kritter

Kritter Member

Suspension Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    So it seems two different issues being discussed...sores which seem to be ingrown hairs and monkey butt which is just chapped ass. Am I correct?

My taint gets wore raw as well as both inner thighs(running tangent to taint making one large raw area on longer rides especially on the fixie. This is not ingrown hairs and its not monkey butt and I thought it was just saddle sores but now from this thread I dont really know what a saddle sore is. I used to get monkey butt racing motorcycles...I know that feeling.

I get ingrown hairs/irritated skin on my thigh and ass from my riding shorts unless I scrub the living piss out of my legs/ass right after the ride with green scotch brite and soap in the shower(no joke).

5. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    Hey Kris. You might want to try Chamois Butt'r or a similar product to prevent chapping and saddle sores. For running, I like "Body Glide" on the parts that chafe.

Those two products really help.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    A lot of the endurance riders that I ride with use Chamios Butter (Butt Butter) the trick is in the amount of time and amount used. Some of our rides go for as long as 21 hours (this is for a triple century)but most doubles which run from 11 to 16 hours. We have found that if you apply it about every four hours and don't skrimp on it, it works very well. You have to shower as soon as possible though and if you can change shorts during the ride that's even better.

7. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    just dont sit down so much lol.