Saddle-less clyde at OTH?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by fongster, Aug 30, 2013.

1. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    So we're at a Wholefoods Market and the checker tells me about her clydesdale husband losing his saddle mid-race and completing a whole lap without one (ouch!) and even goes onto win (I think she said he that won). Anyone one see this guy? (not sure which race it was at)

2. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Don't know about the oth race, but years ago a woman named Cindy Whitehead broke her seatpost at the beginning of a 50 mile point to point race. She not only finished the race without a saddle but also won! -Lloyd :wave:

3. nmeofun

nmeofun Member

I had to ride Whiting from the bottom of Mustard, over the top and down the backside without a saddle a few weeks ago. One of the most painful rides in a long time. I never realized how much I take a saddle for granted. My legs were toast for a couple of days. I suppose if I was racing it may make me faster only so I could get it over with!

4. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I heard she, or another racer gal with the same experience, later hosted a race where everyone had to race with no saddle from the start. Harsh!

5. Jack

Jack Member

I remember seeing a saddle. It was during one of the counter clockwise races. Almost grabbed it but was on the down track. New track on the east side going down right before the shore single track.

During the Olympics I watched one of the mtb races and guy lost saddle but still got onto podium. In fact, his seatpost was missing too. Must of tossed it for safety.

6. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Yeah, that was last Olympics' XC gold medal round--the bronze medalist, I think he was from Spain, broke his seatpost on one of the last laps. It was too bad as he was attacking and I believe he may even have been in the lead when it happened but couldn't hold off 1&2 who were neck and neck until the end. Good race.