Ride Report Rwanda Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Burner, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Burner

Burner WAWE

Good to see some faces I hadn't seen in awhile.

Attached Files:

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Don't challenge that vato to a katana fight

3. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

Some Rwanda Ride pics

Since I'm a puss, I decided to do only the 25 miler.I Map Quested the place and its 63 miles away one way! I was late as usual and started almost a half an hour after the hordes took off at 8:30.
    I almost felt like going home but what the hell, I caught up to some stragglers after the first mile.... It was a fun ride.:)

Highlights:
    Promoters were really friendly
    Good trail support
    Everyone was in a great mood.
    Brought snacks & drinks to help from cramping.
    I took a piss near a tree and nobody saw me.

Negatives:
    Started cramping after mile 20 anyway
    Had to pay for the friggin tolls on the Toll Road
    Shouldnt have ridden a Bullit
    My rear seatpost rack and bag added an extra 9 lbs

Attached Files:

4. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I love the trails when they're all green! Thanks for sharing these pics, good job for finishing the 25miles--next step, CC (or, the way you pack, maybe the PushAKona) :lol:

He's still alive? ;)
    Where's the full RR for those of us who couldn't make it???

5. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

Really fun day!

I did the 25 miler, and this was my longest ride yet. My bike meter said I rode 27.17 miles, so it was at least 8-10 miles longer than any other I've done. I had some saddle issues, as in I was sitting in the saddle so long my ass started to hurt, in more ways than one! #-o

The whole time I kept thinking, "Don't let xhuskr see you at all during the ride, don't let xhuskr see you at all during the ride." Turns out Kevin was sweeping the 50 instead!

It was a fun day with good food, good company, and a fun raffle at the end. We didn't win anything, but the people next to me bought $200 worth of tickets and they made a killing! The woman would scream out, "YAY," and then send her man to get up and go pick up the prize pack. Bravo, lady, bravo! :lol:

It was such a fun, well-organized event, and I am so extremely glad to have done it! All for a great cause too.

Next year - raffle a coffee bike???? Would anyone ride the CC/VQ/Traverse on it?

BTW - Nice meeting you, lorabee! And brenda_gilbert! And it was good to see everyone else.

6. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    The 50 miler was a blast with the SSlacker group. I started out strong with an uphill crash! The Garmin said 51.01 miles with 6235 feet of elevation gain. We had a group of about 23 and all on single speeds (slacker my a$$) and it took us almost eight hours. As seen in Burners post there were many stops to "hydrate". :beer:

Oh, and Willie KILLED it on one of the toughest climbs while all the guys walking cheered her on. :bang:

7. guero

guero iFroth

whose that buBb in the oakley jersey in burners pic? ;)

8. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

What a day... riding a SS for 50 miles in a group of 22 dudes was quite interesting. The company was great, my burger and beer were awesome, but the last 5 miles of that ride really sucked hairy donkey balls. Oh yeah and I ate like 7 bananas. Fun day; I'm tired.

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

I have a ton of pics of all you knucklehead SSlackers....

that ride was wayyyyy too much fun.

I bonked at mile 43, recovered and finished decent. we rolled back into cooks at 3:09, just in time for raffle and BEER!!!!

Longest ride to date... and only having a single speed for 2 weeks made it an epic ride for me.

I think the mile 40 wheelies helped brighten my day LOL

10. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Good job for only having an SS for a short time! Now post the pics! :lol:

11. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    So glad that MtnKitty and I got out there for the 25 miler, and she did great. The course was super-fun, the event was well organized, and everyone from the people at the check-in to the most remotely-stationed peeps giving directions to the pit crew doing drivetrain cleaning & lubing were all extremely friendly and supportive. The jersey looks nice and the BBQ at the end was tasty, but I'm still a little bummed that no one got the memo about which raffle prizes I was supposed to win #-o

Very cool that the guy who won the grand prize - a f/s KHS bike - put it up for an immediate auction with the proceeds going to Project Rwanda. Somebody scored a $1700 bike for half price, and the cause made a little more $$. Bravo!
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

All in all it was a great day. Thanks to all who organized and supported this event.

12. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Great job on supporting a great cause guys!!

I had planned on making it, but since it's my youngest girl's 13th B-Day, and she was playing soccer this morning, I bypassed the ride.

Good thing..........

She scored 2 goals!! :bang::bang:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the RR's and PICS, makes me feel like I was there!

13. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

BRAVO! Kick ass! :clap::bang::bang::bang::bang:

14. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    WOW! What a great day!

Endless miles of trails, endless laughter and did I mention endless climb?#-o

By far longest SS ride ever!!!!! But felt great all day and finish pretty strong still.

One of the funnest ride ever:bang:

15. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    That's for coming out.Great turn out 425 riders. I sweep the 50 mile ride with xhuskr. Thanks for the great support. It was nice meeting you xhuskr, Doug thank you for the food and Beer at 4:00, I heard the raffel was nice, gave away some great gifts. Good to see you again O.C. Rider.

16. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Great time. Here are the pics....

we should have called our group project rwandumb... for doing 51 miles on singlespeeds. By far, the most fun ride i have done to date.... The people rock!

and when everyone is suffering, we suffer together!

and we beat the 'evil chick group!' LOL :lol:

51 miles of smiles, and 5-6000 ft of grunting....mashing...and some pushing. LOL

Enjoyed all your company today... so here are SOME of the pics. If you email me, i can send you shots of you if you are inclined.

Attached Files:

17. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

and a few more

Attached Files:

18. Hanzo

Hanzo .

I'll drink to that. Seen him at practice.

19. Jay

Jay Round is a lifestyle.

Whatever pays the bills
    Longest ride to date on a mountain bike for me as well. Started the day not feeling it. The legs were no cooperating. My only goal for the day was not to cramp. I was successful. Had a couple of close calls but kept popping the electrolites and all was good. It was great riding with the SSlackers. Had a great time and looking forward to doing it again next year on the SS. Although I might upgrade to a suspension fork for next year....the last 10 miles was a PITA.

20. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Well again it was a nice day for a ride, perfect temp and a great cause, thanks to the volunteers. There was lots of familiar faces.

Mike and I got a late start for the 50 about 7:30 we caught up to the Pack-o-Ladys and the Slackers in O'Neil. That was a fun stretch.

Did anyone notice else notice it was freaking green out there...well of course you all did...I love this time of year.

The big wowser for me...after spending last night contemplating whether to ride the SS...and then realizing I had no rear tread (I turned the tire around) is that I road the whole 50 on the SS. Longest most challenging ride on the SS to date!

Dang Me. I set out to just ride 35 or so...but we just kept going...and going..and actually had a pretty decent time of 5:51 ride time, 6:45 Elapsed. Tierjas Creek was awfully fun

One thing my 305 showed more than 5800ft of climbing more like 6500ft...hmmm but I did follow the course on the Garmin and it was right on.

I didn't hang out tooo long at the BBQ/Festivities...it turned out...I was tired :)

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did!

Freekenego and Chewyeti at Dove Waterfalls...the first time.
    IMG_0150 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0149 (Medium).JPG

Mike on the Ridge on the Loop in Caspers...Darn it was green out there today.
    IMG_0152 (Medium).JPG

A couple gents that were working their way back...the guy in the blue had this perfect PB&J in his camel back...I was following him hoping it would fall out
    IMG_0154 (Medium).JPG

Lots of Happy people at the Dove waterfall...second time
    IMG_0155 (Medium).JPG

Fun / Action in Tierjas Creek
    IMG_0156.jpg

Gawking at the Creek damage and the nice cliff...while taking the picture I nearly knocked a guy down the embankment...me...Mr trail etiquette...oops
    IMG_0158 (Medium).JPG

Self portrait while riding..but OUCH!...they say the camera adds 10 pounds but I didn't know it meant to your head!!!! and yes thats the reflection of the flash blinding me too :)
    IMG_0159 (Medium).JPG