Running Low PSI on Fox Forks

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by bry n, Jun 27, 2012.

1. bry n

bry n Member

Nursing
    just out of curiosity, anyone else run their fox forks lower than recommended?
    my fork: http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_te...ls/011/Content/Forks/29er/29_TALASRLCfit.html

I supposedly should be running 70 psi per my weight (~152lbs). but im running 50 psi cause 70 was harsh no matter what I did with the rebound + LSC and the low bump compliance sucked ass. My sag is still fine, too. ~30% at 50... /shrug

It was serviced a couple of months ago by Path and they didn't say anything after picking it up so I assume they didn't run into any issues.

Note: The fork is on a '11 Pivot Mach 429

2. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    I have two Fox forks, and I run both at way under the recommended pressure just to get enough sag.

On one fork, I've shortened the rod on the air piston in order to get more reasonable travel out of it. I'll do the same to the other fork next time I service it.

The tables are just starting points.
    Rob

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Yeah they are starting points, they say start there then check sag and adjust air pressure.

4. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Hell, it's not only Fox. I run under on all of my RockShox forks too.

5. bry n

bry n Member

Nursing
    ice read that 45 psi is the bare minimum in any fox fork? because I feel though even im already at 50 i can probably do 40-45 psi.

6. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I have a 2011 Fox 36 180MM TALAS and run it at considerably less than recommended PSI (for regular trail riding) to take advantage of the travel.. if I run at recommended it's a rough stiff ride.. now if I know I am going to ride something with some big hits, I will go with something closer to recommended. My fork is on a 2011 Kona CoilAir

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Yes their manuals are a starting point...but I have yet found one recommendation that was even close. I get it close by relying on friend that know more than I then head over to Rock-it with my shock pump and do runs until it feels right. I love coil forks but have ended up changing springs a few times to get forks right...it just takes time.

Dean

8. JimN

JimN Member

I have the same bike - same fork, and yes, 15-20 psi below the recommended setting it what works for me. Now that I've had the bike for over a year, I really wish it wasn't a Talas, as I never drop it down to the 90mm travel setting anymore. Also not a big fan of the FIT technology. Just not enough oil in there and requires frequent maintenance. Definitely prefer open bath design.

9. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I have always had to run my Fox 36 TALAS (2008 and 2011) far lower than the suggested air pressure. For 2011, rec. was 80psi - I got like 2-3" of travel at that setting on chunky fast stuff with drops and jumps. I ended up running it around 55 just to get most of the travel, then sold it because all it would do is dive or run too stiff. My 2008 36 TALAS RC2 ran great at 55psi (again 80 recommended). I am 210lbs.

My 2009 Fox 32 TALAS 150 runs a lot closer to the recommended air - about 100psi for me. Great fork. My 2012 Marzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA runs close to recommended - 106psi for me (110 recommended) and it KILLS the Fox 36 TALASs.

10. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I also had to run my fox 36 at lower pressure for it to actually absorb the small stuff. Problem was when I lowered the air pressure Id get insane brake dive. Finally got rid of it, picked up a rockshox totem and its amazing. Puts the fox to shame. I missed you rockshox!!!

11. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I agree on the brake dive at lower pressure.. I walk a very thin line between the lower end of the pressure spectrum and what's too low and forcing the brake dive.. it's a temperamental fork for sure..

12. markus onetime

markus onetime New Member

full time husband, beliver in Christ Jesus.
    I have a Fox 140mm Fit RLC, and weigh close to you at 150 lbs. And Im running at 45 psi right now, started at 70 psi and slowly worked my way down to where it feels best.

13. riiz

riiz Member

Did you trade it in or sell it on Craigslist? Im felling the same way about my fox and want to try out a white brothers loop on my yelli.

14. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

pinkbike......

15. Huffy

Huffy New Member

Fox's recommended settings for rider weight is WAY off. According to Fox I should be in the ballpark with 90psi. I need to run 55psi to get the 25-30% sag. I've been using Fox suspension for years - finally decided to try something new with X Fusion. Can't wait!

16. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    So Does the low speed compression setting help at all with the dive under lower pressure? I am pretty used to the stiff ride...but have also been slowly stepping down the pressure. 2012 32 150mm Talas w / FIT

17. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Those suggested setting are to start determining sag. They arent telling you to run it at that that pressure.

18. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    The LSC did nothing to help on my 2011 36 TALAS RLC FIT Kashima Super Bling 3000. Like McG715 said - fine line on the 2011, 2012 Fox 36 air forks. I had mine professionally rebuilt, which smoothed it out but never got the spring rate right - dive or shake to death.

On the other hand, my 2009 Fox TALASr 32 150 (not FIT) runs great. Plush with no dive. It's just not as beefy as I like. My 2012 Marz 55 is THE ONE!

19. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Wait, what? Once you set your sag right, that IS what you're supposed to run. Then you fine tune to taste.

The Fox suggested settings for their 36 air forks are off by 25-30%. The 32s are closer.

20. Red

Red New Member

You're not alone. I weigh around 155 and run 60 PSI in my talas 36.