Rude La Habra Cyclery Rider on the Fullerton Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by 2wheel_lee, Aug 7, 2008.

1. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Tonight at about 7:00 pm, I was riding the Fullerton Loop with my girlfriend (Ko). Shortly after turning off Rosecrans to go up the dirt trail (the west end of the loop), there were a couple older women walking on the trail. They saw my girlfriend coming, so they kindly stepped to the side of the trail with their backs against the trees, leaving a fair amount of space for Ko and I to pass. Right as Ko was passing the women, a guy comes racing extremely fast between her and the women. His right elbow nearly clipped Ko, and his left elbow barely missed the women. Both women let out a mild shreak "WOOO!" I apologized to the women for the rude rider. I believe the guy was still within earshot range, because I apologized very loudly, but he didn't look back. He never said a word.

The rider was wearing a La Habra Cyclery jersey, and I think he had a dark grayish bike with blue hubs (it is possible that I may have identified the wrong bike, as several other people came by shortly after, but I'm 100% certain of the LHC jersey). For the speed this guy was going, he was obviously a very experience rider. I'd have chased him down, but there was no way I could catch him on my singlespeed - he was going that fast. I have no doubt that this type of behavior is very common for this rider, and he is likely one of the mtbers causing major problems for cyclists on the Fullerton Loop.

La Habra Cyclery should be ashamed to support such a rude rider. If anyone knows anyone at La Habra Cyclery, please refer them to this thread.

2. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    does la habra cyclery sell jersey's to the public or is that for club riders only?

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Nice out, Lee. I'm sure we'll find out who this is now.

4. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I believe they do sell jerseys, but for the speed this guy was going, he's likely a competitive racer, and he likely has some ties to La Habra Cyclery. He didn't appear to be the kind of guy who casually walked into the shop and said, "Hey, this is a cool jersey; I want to buy one, even though I have no affiliation with this shop." Also, when you're a rider that's this fast, you're not the type of person who buys bike shop jerseys.

By the way, I don't have anything against the shop. The shop and its staff are really cool (I just hope this rider is not one of the staff).

5. davidB

davidB Active Member

hey jackass rude rider, if you're reading this, you're a jackass.

6. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    haha ok...got it. I never liked that shop anyway, i'll assume it was a LHC rider.

7. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    What an A-hole!

Oh yeah that reminds me of that one dude on a green kona that keeps on trying to race people thursday night. He would wait for people to ride and then when people start to ride he'll charge and pass them...then wait again and would pass people in very unsafe manners. Saw him couple of times already and I yelled give people some space and obviously didn't register in that empty head of his. After one ride I saw him standing by his POS car all by himself.....so I went around and very loudly socialized with everyone....heck I know all three groups that ride on thursday night. He just stood there for a while and left by himself a little later. What a looser!

8. DHS

DHS New Member

Nerd
    why not confront him on this?

9. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Talking of rude riders - I was riding up Mathis with 2 friends last Friday early evening with 3 other riders in front of us. 1 guy on an orange Stumpy 29er and 2 women. I passed one of the women at the very bottom of Mathis and rapidly caught the girl and guy on the 1st rocky steep section. Mr. 29er was taking the hard line on the right and the woman was struggling to and fro on the rocks so I waited behind her until I could get by safely..........At which point she blows up. Something agressively spoken along the lines of 'Speak up! If you want to pass then speak up. Thats how we do it you know!'
    OMG. I politely explained that I it was etiquette to wait for a good place to pass and she didnt respond.
    I loved her ridiculous arrogance. Plenty of folks out there who jsut dont think that they have to be polite for whatever reason - thats life!

10. davidB

davidB Active Member

what are the other two groups?

11. Subiestar

Subiestar New Member

Test Engineer
    I remember talking to that LHC jersey guy before we started riding. He came along with his dad. He's not STR, so I doubt he'll read this post. He's never even heard of STR :-s. I don't know where he found out about the ride.

12. Happy_Gilmore

Happy_Gilmore Blood Donor - Give Life

There is no doubt the Loop has its share of anal retentive riders ](*,), From wannabee pro XC racers Lee mentioned, to the dude on a green kona that kept on trying to race people Thursday night that Duke mentioned. I think he (Kona)took a nice header at the last downhill before the driving range (karma :?:).

I can not tell you how many close calls I have had at downhill sections with people riding the Loop backwards :eek: (this should be illegal [-X).

Lee my hats off to you for doing the right thing by apologizing to hikers (and not tracking down the j-holes and breaking a seatpost off in there rear)

This is what STR is all about !

13. dssgaffler

dssgaffler Complete Sellout

I find that I only have to follow 1 rule when riding; Be nice. I've never gotten upset by the way someone else rides and as far as I know nobody has ever felt that I was riding rudely.

Mountain bikers are able to achieve what society has not been able to. We are a community with a common goal. The bonds we fail to make on the freeway, we are able to make on the trail.

Part of the joy of riding is the sense of freedom we experience when we're in the middle of nowhere with nobody else in sight. When we come across hikers, dogs, horses or other riders, that interaction can be considered an inconvenience or an opportunity. If you are nice during those short encounters, it'll make the remainder of the ride much more enjoyable.

14. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

I've ridden the Loop backwards tons of times, and managed to do it safely. It got old pulling over, though. I got wise and decided if I'm gonna ride the Loop backwards I'd best do it when the crowds are elsewhere!

I don't know everyone at La Habra Cyclery, but the two staffers that I do know are cool individuals. Hopefully this incident gets back to them so they can reel this guy in before he wrecks our Loop access.

15. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

Right as Ko was passing the women, a guy comes racing extremely fast between her and the women. His right elbow nearly clipped Ko, and his left elbow barely missed the women. Both women let out a mild shreak "WOOO!" I apologized to the women for the rude rider. I believe the guy was still within earshot range, because I apologized very loudly, but he didn't look back. He never said a word
    ---I'd bring a short broom stick next time and throw it in his spokes and claim it slipped outta yer hands and didn't expect someone to come by so fast:wave:

16. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Chad is his name. He has ben riding the loop for over a decade.

17. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

Next time you see Mr.La Habra Cyclery Rider, catch up to him and speak with him. He might just need a gentle reminder of trail ethics. I was never a fan of public floggings.

18. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

I've seen that dood before!! Whooahh i want to be like him when I grow up!!:bang:

in a diff note kind of related I was talking to this dood on the loop the other day that rides for this cyclery something shop!! dont remember the full name of the shop but ahhh who really cares? The funney thing was his comment. He was sure about the luge and STT to be open 100% to the public and that he even knows a ranger that had confirmed this shiiatt!!!:lol: i was like Ohhh and you ride there all the time? He was like yes I do!! and I ride for this shop too!! #-o DID I miss something? are those trails open now?:?::-k

ahh yes he was riding some 29er specialized thingy8-[

19. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Exactly. Familiarity often breeds complacency. Guy might just need a nudge to realize he's gotten a bit aggro in his riding.

Gave myself my own reminder a while back when I almost took out a guy and his dog near the golf course. I rode back to apologize, and the guy couldn't have been cooler about it. Was surprised to see me return, and very thankful for my concern!

That incident really woke me up, and I've dialed it back considerably through there as a result. Torches and pitchforks on an internet forum would not have had the same effect at all.

20. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Fastest rider

Must have been Steven Jackson. Was he wearing a beer dispensing helmet full of Budwiser's?

"but there was no way I could catch him on my singlespeed"

If you were on a 29'er you could;)