RR: Prescott Trails 396, Ranch 62, 305

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by genusmtbkr5, May 1, 2014.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    This is last of the series of RRs of my recent trip. You can read & view pics those rides here: 7 days of Sedona, AZ - Rides 1 thru 7 (Merged).

After seeing some pics on FB and reading the race report of the Whiskey 50 on here about the latest weather last weekend, I was very fortunate with the weather I got while I was in Prescott 2 weeks ago.

So after only doing 5+ miles riding the Granite Dells, even though it was a tough 5 because of all the technical sections & steep rocky climbs. (RR here: RR: Watson Lake Loop, Prescott, AZ), I messaged Steppie and he came through once again with some info on a few routes. He suggested doing trail 3
    96 to Gold Lakes and also trail 305 up around Links Lake. I went over to High Gear Bike Shop as Dean suggested to pick up an area map & spoke to Cindy the owner as well as Billy B.., a transplant to Prescott from OC. They told me those would be good scenic rides as well as the new trail connector Ranch 62. So after looking over the map which was free BTW and knowing I could connect 396 & 305 via Ranch 62, I had my “big” ride planned.

I set off the morning driving up to the trailhead at the White Spar Campground. This was only about 4 miles away from where I was staying. I asked about a parking pass, but was told a lady named Peggy I spoke to who is another OC transplant from Laguna Beach(turns out STR’s Chopper knows her & her husband) there is no need for an adventure pass to park here as there are no facilities.

I started out stopping a lot to take pics cause I knew I wouldn't want to stop much on the way back..., ok maybe a few as you'll see in the pics. I said to myself, turn around when you get tired, maybe mile 10, but I kept riding along cause it was too fun to stop.
    IMG_0902.jpg

really nice easy climbs
    IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Pano shot of Trail 396
    IMG_3703.jpg

Little pond watering hole for deer, bears & mtn lions.., I didn't stay long
    IMG_0911.jpg

Maybe future log ride?

IMG_0913.jpg

Really scenic and smell of pines is in the air as lots of pine needles cover the trail.
    IMG_0916.jpg

Trail 396 isn’t a tough climb and is very buff with plenty of payoffs for the sections of climbs you do. The thing about riding new dirt is that you don't really know how tough the climbs are going to be along the way unless you have the elevation profile which was not available to me and not any map I looked at, but I kept taking the descents knowing I'd have to climb that on my return trip taking it somewhat easy as to not use up all my energy.
    IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

Token trail shot
    IMG_0919.jpg

Another pano of Trail 396

IMG_3710.jpg

Gold Lakes are not that far from the start...,
    IMG_3706.jpg

the 2nd lake as there are 2 of them

IMG_3705.jpg

Got to Senator Road where Trail 396 ends, cross and find 299 & Ranch Trail 62 starts. 299 is a moto/quad trail which you really don’t want to take. Ranch 62 is this new section that was just completed and connects 396 to 305.
    IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

The start of Ranch 62
    IMG_0932.jpg

Pano of Ranch 62
    IMG_3712.jpg

2. genusmtbkr5

continued...,

Really nice views from Ranch 62

IMG_0934.jpg

Always seems to catch these guys ;)
    IMG_0936.jpg

Cairns on logs here
    IMG_0937.jpg

You can see the bench cuts & cleared brush still fresh in some section.

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

The folks there should be proud of their work. Nice flow, great views/scenery and fun in both direction. Thanks to Billy and crew for their work.
    IMG_0940.jpg

Continuing onto Ranch 62

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

This section was a total blast as it was a such a rhythm/flow section

IMG_0943.jpg

Fast & fun as you weave from left to right.

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Fun stuff for sure
    IMG_0947.jpg

Pano shots of Ranch Trail 62
    IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Somewhere along Ranch 62 I took an off shoot and went off course. I ended up descending some steep, loose full of scree, but totally fun. Reminded me of a section on Los Pinos. Not knowing this at the time, I said to myself, this is gonna really suck to climb back up on. Looking back at what I descended and would have to climb on the return(Pic doesn't really show how steep the trail really is)
    IMG_0948.jpg

I found out I was off my intended route when I ended up at the end of this section into a wash area and dirt road and had to re-route find the trail correct. I had a phone signal so I was able to see where I was in reference to the road I needed to cross to connect to trail 305. Got back on what I believe would do this and was just off by less than 1/8 mile down the road, but found trail 305 and onward I went.
    IMG_0950.jpg

Trail 305 was flowy...,
    IMG_0952.jpg

..., and not too bad climbing as an out & back if this was to be done as separate route. As an out & back, it’s about 13.6 miles with 1,300 ft of climbing: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=16428
    IMG_0955.jpg

Really beautiful views from Trail 305
    IMG_3717.jpg

You will cross campsite roads numerous times so you're never far off from any help if you get into trouble. I past by several camp host during this leg of the ride.

3. genusmtbkr5

continued...,

Hello Mr Horny Toad!
    IMG_0960.jpg

These woops were fun as I hit them on the way back but being careful NOT o get TOO aggressive and get hurt.
    IMG_0961.jpg

I finally turned around at mile 18+ and took a break. Knowing I had some real work on my return route, I didn't sit long and headed back.
    IMG_0962.jpg

This time finding the section I missed on my out trip.
    IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

I found what should of been the trailhead to Ranch 62 where I should’ve come out instead of the wash. It started off a flat and open trail...,
    IMG_0971.jpg

..., but then the payback came & a steep loose climb was ahead of me.
    IMG_0972.jpg

At mile 23 I started to feel a little tired so I rested and ate the rest on my snacks. At mile 25 or so while on the climb, I felt the twitch to cramp. I had pickle juice with me so I took 1/2 of it down.
    IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

The feeling of cramping went away in a few seconds, but the HAB section was looming ahead. Got through that climb and rested here a bit:
    IMG_0979.jpg

Tires got worked on this ride.
    IMG_0978.jpg

Here's that rhythm section on the way back
    IMG_0980.jpg

You can see why I said this was sooooo fun, flowy & fast on the way out.

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

After a brief rest since I was racing the sun, I rode on and finished the rest of the climb.

IMG_3722.jpg

At about mile 28 or so, just as I started to descend, I felt the cramp come on again, but this time went into full blown mode as both quads locked up! I took down the rest of the pickle juice I had left and the cramps didn't subside so I just had to pedal out the pain. It went away when I got past mile 30. Over a mile of pedaling through cramps really slowed me down. Even if most of it was downhill, there were some small, but not steep climbs left. Out of water and about an hour before sunset, I pedaled on.

Just me and my shadow
    IMG_0983.jpg

iPhone Pro HDR app
    IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

I finished just about 30 min before sunset. 8 hrs on the trails with about 36+ miles and about 4,777 ft of climbing. It doesn't sound like much, but this route starts at 5,600+ feet and just goes up to about 6,700. I could see the Goldwater Lakes where I started below.

With a section of HAB that equals West Horse Thief in steepness, this was the ride I needed. Here’s the elevation profile for this ride & Geoladders link: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=75468
    Screen shot 2014-04-19 at 12.46.jpg

Sure felt good to finish and see my truck there at the trailhead with an ice cold bottled water, small 8oz of can of Coke and an IPA in my cooler.
    IMG_3724.jpg

I only saw several mtn bikers out riding and a only a few hikers. Overall Prescott has some great trails. All the trails I rode was single track. Everyone I've met in Prescott were really nice. Billy and Cindy over at High Gear Bike shop, the bartenders, shops I went into. Great town for sure, great ride to top off what was a great vacation!

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Nice report Gene. Prescitt is a very underrated area to ride. Trails are empty, they add new trails all the time, more singletrack than fireroad on loops, weather most always good riding weather, can do huge rides, many trailheads close to town so no need to drive to ride. My sister lives near the top of 396 Trail so I ride that area often.

Dean

5. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Should have done Turley. I rode it last weekend after they Whiskey. It was a blast! Riding up what appeared to be a dry creek bed. Lots of fun rocks to hop up (or ride down if you went in reverse). I looped it with the ranch trail and trail 396.

6. JimN

JimN Member

Great to know that there's now a connector trail between 396 and 305, and it sure looks like a good one! I've ridden both trails separately, so I can relate to how that combination would be much harder than the overall stats might suggest.

Thanks for all the excellent ride reports from your Arizona trip. I've really enjoyed them.

7. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Your "not much" would be my epic. Thanks again for sharing all the RR's Gene - awesome write ups.

8. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Thanks Gene can't wait to get out there hopefully this summer.

Jordan

9. dstepper

Home Page:
    The section of Trail 396 that crosses Highway 60 and heads up past White Spar to the Whiskey Course is also very nice...it has a lot more climbing than the direction Gene went.

10. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

thanks - your reports are always inspire me to find new dirt. preskit is on the list.

11. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the big shot of riding stoke, Gene! Dig your reports...heavy on the eye candy.

Looks like a person could spend many days holed up in prescuit plundering the goods. I'm sure the Flag, Sedona and SoMo gravity would make that difficult, though...

Keep hammering and showing us the way.

12. genusmtbkr5

Thanks guys! I really enjoyed this ride..., wish I had another day there.

Ya I really thought about it and was going to do it as an added out & back, but didn't have the time nor the energy once I came back through Ranch after doing 305 knowing that it would've added another 6 miles or so. Question: Which way would be the preferred direction, from the trailhead in town or from where it connects to Ranch 62?

13. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    One of my favorite trails to ride when I'm out there. I rode it a week ago and it was more fun and flowy than ever (come down from the whiskey course to the highway).

14. dstepper

Home Page:
    Yep it has more elevation gain/loss than most trails in Prescitt. West Spruce trail down to Dozie Pit is still the longest downhill I have found. Once of these days I will get out and ride Yankee Doodle Trail in the Bradshaw Mountains. Only youtube videos of Yankee Doodle are motos but the trail looks like a back country classic.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014