RR: Personal feat in the Samos...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by bing!, Apr 25, 2014.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

Rode my usual trail in the Santa Monica's and was feeling really good. I'm enjoying the climbs and recovering pretty fast physically. I'm really happy when I'm able to shred the descents with a relatively clear head. I am not the most physically fit rider. I enjoy riding. However, what prevents me from shredding at my best on trail rides and bikes parks is when I'm tired or over exerted, my reflexes and presence of mind isn't all there. I hold back for safety in those situations.

Today, I was feeling good. I was taking the jumps, leaning the bike on corners and I could feel I was getting good speed.

One of the jumps I took today, I saw I had a good approach, turning a sweeping right into the ramp, I was able to come in at (my own personal) terminal velocity, and I launched it.

[​IMG]

Weeeeeeeeeee!
    [​IMG]

Just before I flew off the lip, I saw that there was a big ass rut running parallel to my landing zone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing I had a clear mind. I turned my bars left ever so slightly in the air, added a little body english and started turning.

[​IMG]

As soon as I landed, the front tire scrambled for traction. My body leaned the bike as I rode right on top of it and I slid a foot sideways as I moved forward about 15 feet. Immediately upon landing I heard that sound that u hear and felt that sensation that u feel when youre about to washout the front tire.

[​IMG]

Slipping and slidding in a moving vehicle automatically turns on my fear receptors. Didnt panic, just mild anxiety (maybe more that that), but I got through that turn composed and fully in control. Man, the Hans Dampf ROCKs!

[​IMG]

On the drive home, I kept thinking about it. I've never done anything like that before. I'm sure a lot of you do these kinda things regularly.

[​IMG]

I'm a late bloomer to AM riding. Really stoked. Duhno if I'll ever do that intentionally, but glad that I experienced it. Maybe, I can launch one of those kickers that land on an off camber this summer.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

(stock images added for dramatic effect, none of those pics are myself or of what actually happened, however the story is 100% true. don't sue me speckcialized)

2. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Twilight Zone is calling your name Bing. Can't wait for mammoth this summer.

3. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I was waiting for the injury report that thankfully never came...

:bang:

PS - Are there really only eight people remaining who post on STR regularly?

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

No kidding. For a split second, I really thought I was going to eat shit. I'm conflicted though. 1) I didnt wanna get injured and 2) Ive never tested the G-forms I was wearing that day :)

p.s. I think I just invented the collage RR. hahaha, I dont really take pics while riding, so I thought this might be a good way to relay the event better.

5. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    is a dh bike fun in mamoth?

6. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I wouldn't know I don't have one. I have a lot of fun on my 6 inch bike. I can ride most of the trails there.

7. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Congrats on of *Those Days* on the bike!
    I love it when it works out...not so much when it doesn't.

8. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

Sick edit bro....

Hrz, So I'm one of eight? where did they all go

9. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    My new motto is - always wear and never test your pads.

And your RR reminds me of the Ride Reports we used to get by a guy on STR called paulbschmidt. He infused comedic photos to emphasize the point he was making, such as the time he rode a famous Laguna DH trail but found he had no brakes (inserted Star Wars "jumping to hyerspace" photo). Great tactic for getting your point across AND entertaining the 7 remaining readers.

10. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Not as fun as a 29er...