RR: Chilao

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by dstepper, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Kevin, you did bring up some good points! :-k
    I especially like the "idea" of heading up to CHILAO to see if it is worthy of a NEWBIE RIDE! :lol: :lol:

We can talk about it on the trail...:beer:

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It's not Chilao without the Hillyer Boulder Field....

The newbie's can work there way up to these trails. Best to introduce new riders to these trails in small groups.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    ...) Limited parking
    ...) Sandy washouts

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Chilao without Hilyer and Silver Mocc, just ain't worth doing. I don't think this is what I'd consider for a newb ride. Lets let them work up to it, call it a A+ beginner ride? Not a newb ride fershure.

5. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Chilao... wow its been a few years. I gotta go again.

As far as a newbie ride?? I think it should be an intermediate ride. I would hate to see a newbie in "tennis shoes and white socks" out of their element back there. Maybe even have requirements or strong recremendations... pads for example.

Looks to me like KBL should be the ride leader... time to step up my friend!!! :welcome:

6. Edog

Edog Member

Weekend?

I ride up here alot & it does take time to get there from the OC. Normally takes me 2 hours with little traffic.
    I think we should make a weekend out of it. The camp site is cool plenty of great local riding options we could do Chilao Sat & Strawberry sun. We could also run some shuttles down from Red BOX to JPL. Not to mention plenty of beer. I'm sure just the word BOX will spike Justin's interest!
    I'd agreethat this isn't a newb ride. The Vetter mountain loop is pretty easy, people can always just do the first loop & not the second, but it is a long way to drive if you aren't going to ride the whole thing.
    Late April early May would be a good time

7. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    I am absolutely hooked on Chilao and the surrounding environs. Riding above 5,000' is where life begins (and gets best at 8,000', or even 9,000 when nobody is looking...

p.s. lots of noob ride possibilities if you combine mostly fireroads with some of the easy singletrack that abounds (silver moc from chilao to alder creek/ vetter, for instance

8. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I think doing a group ride @ Chilao is a great idea but I would strongly recommend against calling it a "newbie ride". Aside from what's been mentioned, beginners are not going to like being at 5K plus. I think an intermediate/advance ride is more fitting.

The intermediate (B) group can call it a day after dropping down from Hilyer and Silver Moc and making a left vs. a right on the fire road going up to Vetter and back to cars @ Charlton day Campgrounds.
    The A Group could continue on up to Vetter and the fire lookout station. Good thing about this ride, there is no real exposure. Some very short tricky sections which can easily be walked but nothing that's going to frighten anyone. Some simple stats...

Permits: A Forest Adventure Pass is required to park in areas designated for this ride.
    Distance: 18 - 24 miles depending on options and side trips
    Elevation Gain / Loss: 2,200 to 3,200 depending on options and side trips
    Aerobic Difficulty: Strenuous, mostly because of the elevation.

As a rule of thumb, if you can't climb up to Brown Mtn. saddle without stopping and feel exhausted by the time you get there, this might not be the ride for you.

If anyone is interested, myself and a couple of other STR tools (which includes me) are most likely doing a weekday ride next week. PM me for more info, if you're interested. It will be a very mellow pace.

Here's a great map of the figure 8 loop. IMO, it's best done starting @ Charlton and crossing the road to Mt. Mooney. A little extra fun and when you're done, you're back to your car.
    [​IMG]

9. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    This looks like a ride I need to be doing in my near future. Someone should set something up for a possible summer time trip. Oh and yeah newbie ride in a big forest doesn't sound like a good idea. :?:

10. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Steppin' up!

From everyone's input, it doesn't sound like we can make everyone happy with a single ride.

Lack of parking?
    Sandy washouts?
    Huh? I've honestly never had those troubles up there. There are plenty of parking pullouts off of Angeles Crest that a Toytoa Echo could successfully negotiate--I've done it! If the ride happens when the gated roads into Chilao are open, there's plenty of parking, and paved parking at that. Yes, Adventure Passes (or willingness to pay parking fines) will be required.

You guys are probably right that much of Chilao doesn't qualify as a newbie ride, however there's still some stuff up there that's newbie-friendly. Why should newer riders stay away from a beautiful area just because they might not be up to riding all the gnarly stuff?

I need to qualify the term "newbie." I'm not thinking of someone who is completely new to mountain biking, or who has just decided to get off the couch. I have in mind someone who frequents the Fullerton Loop and who has a base level of fitness and bike handling ability. This same rider should also have a decent bike, i.e. something that's capable of handling the Fullerton Loop without self destructing. Obviously, this doesn't include a Huffy with old-style caliper brakes and bolt-on steel wheels!

Maybe a re-phrase or re-definition is in order. How does "San Gabes Newbie" sound? Going from a place like the Loop or Chino Hills straight to Chantry or Mt. Lowe is a trail-style culture shock. Going from the Loop to the fire roads and easy (easier) singletracks of Chilao is a great introduction to what the San Gabes have to offer.

I think Dino and I need to do a little pre-running--camera in hand--and go from there. Expect a "Prerunning Chilao" Ride Report sometime soon.

11. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

Great map Joe...thanks. It does leave out a excellent section of Silver Moccasin from Three Points to Horse Flats.

12. maniacal

maniacal New Member

welder for DWP
    Well, as I do understand everyones concern about a newbie ride, I did take my son Damien up there once (13) He really dug the hell out of it. Before this it was Bonelli twice and Marshall once. I think if it is kept to small groups of three-five newbies with a couple of at least Marshalls as a prerequisite and a proficient guide, it would be a great experience. I also took my loony ex girlfriend and she had a blast! The route I took them on is the only place I would personally ride alone, because if you fall you will only hit manzanita bush and boulders. We parked at Horse Flats and went up the asphault fireroad to the top and made a left turn into the single track. Minimal climbing except for that one (fun) climb! Then back to the cars. It is shortish and sweet. My son and I had some snacks and did the loop a couple more times!! So there!

13. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

The map might have left it out but if you're referring the the silver moc section (11W06) starting from Horse Flats, down to the paved road, I didn't forget about it. That's a must and a no-brainer part of the ride. You're absolutely right, Dean. Excellent indeed.