Ride Report RR: Buck Gully, Corona del Mar

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by dstepper, Nov 6, 2009.

1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Yes folks singletrack in Newport Beach.

Had intended to ride my bike along the Coastal Bike Path from Laguna to Corona del Mar to go to the bank. For me some days it is hard to get on the bike but once saddled up I don't want to stop. Even on a pavement ride I may end up in the dirt, that is why a road bike would never work for me.

So I have been looking at a canyon (Buck Gully) that runs from 5th Avenue and Poppy St in Corona del Mar up to Pelican Hill (roughly San Joaquin Hills Rd and Newport Coast Road). I came in from the bottom and what a pleasant little surprise. Maybe 2 miles of lovely singletrack that lead to a fireroad a 1/2 mile climb out. I could not tell whose property I was on as there are no signs at either gate but the lower gate has a dog poop plastic bag dispenser. If I had to guess I would say a finger of Irvine Company Land left over from the housing and Pelican Hills golf coarse developments. Due to little bike traffic and no county park skididots the trail thread is in better shape than the trails in El Moro. Some bushwacking and not for those are Poison Oak sensitive.

Not a designation but if I lived in Corona del Mar I would be using it as it comes out at the Newport Coast Pavilions and if you know the area you are just down the hill from Ridge Park and Laguna Wilderness Park.

Dean

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  2. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    nice, dean.

i've been eyeing that for a few years.

3. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

Damn,
    I was hoping no one would ever post that trail on here. I do believe that we are not technically supposed to ride there (there were signs years ago), but like you said, there is so little bike traffic, there haven't been any problems.

4. dstepper

Home Page:
    Normally I would not post a questionable trail but this trail goes nowhere and does nothing. Basically it is a neighborhood trail as it has houses and pavement along both ridge lines and no where near any parks. The problem out there is the rank water coming down into the canyon from people overwatering their yards. Way surprised how much water was down there.

Dean

5. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

It used to be dry most of the time before Newport Coast got built. That last pic shows the damage from the monstrosities people call houses to the stream. The trail used to go all the way up to the towers, it stayed straight where you turned left up the fireroad. The Irvine Company gave it over to the county, which in turn gave it to the city, so it is legal now. The signs that were up there years ago were Irvine Co signs.
    http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?page=10
    Proposed plan - Go to section 3.5.1 Mountain Biking is approved:)

6. magren

magren New Member

It's a fun trail. Has potential for single track all the way from the top of signal peak to little CDM, which is over 1,000ft of vert! Maybe some day.

Unfortunately the city turned over management to the Irvine Ranch Conservancy.
    See http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?page=101

Looks like it may be hiking only in the future:
    "Trails shall be designated as 'hiking only' or 'hiking and mountain biking only.'" Page 76, Section 3.4.1 of the Buck Gully Reserve Resource & Recreation Management Plan dated 2009.

I have emailed the city during the public comment period expressing support for mountain bike access and keeping the trail single track. I received a reply from Dave Kiff, NPB Assistant City Manager (now City Manager), expressing concern over user conflict if kept single track. Dave is a mountain biker as well and his email response was positive other than the user conflict issue.

I also emailed my city counsil representative expressing my support for single track, mountain biking, and natural surface trails in the Gully.

Resident of Newport or not send the emails to let them know you like single track, natural surface trails, and want mountain bike access. Especially if you have ridden the trail for years to show historical use by mountain bikers. See below for links to email addresses:

NPB City Council Emails
    http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?page=74

Dave Kiff's Contact Info
    http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?recordid=939&page=1267

Thanks for the post Dean!

7. dstepper

Home Page:
    If that is the case the trail is doomed to docent only rides and maybe open access once a month on Saturdays. Only if you go in the right gate and sign in.

Dean

8. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

Thanks Magren for the links, my emails are sent. I think that the lower gully from 5th to the beach is private property, though, so we probably won't get that peak to beach trail. Those houses have fee title on the gully all the way to the center of the creekbed.

Attached Files:

9. dstepper

Home Page:
    Rode it today they have cleared the brush and poison oak off the trail and it has some very good site-lines. It is a ripping fast downhill right now.

Dean

10. dstepper

Home Page:
    Rode it today they have cleared the brush and poison oak off the trail and it has some very good site-lines. It is a ripping fast downhill right now. Trail is signed bike legal at both ends.

Dean

11. el cap

el cap Active Member

Thanks Dean for the RR update. I'm going to try it the next time I'm in that area.

12. Andy

Andy Member

I pass it several times a week when I go to LCWP(etc) and always wondered about it... There seem to be a few other ride reports (3F bike etc), so maybe its time to give it a try...

Thanks for the RR update

13. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    looking at the map does this have shuttle potential for kids? - looks like they can be dropped off at the top at san joaquin and ride down to poppy and 5th?

I am not talking big sled shuttle - im talking little kids who dont want to climb going slow but having some single track fun downhill. And also - does it end at 5th and poppy or does it go to the beach, hard to tell on google maps

thanks for posting!

14. dstepper

Home Page:
    I can not think of a better shuttle ride for kids. You could park at Pavilions parking lot and ride over to the trailhead as I don't think there is parking on the street at the upper trailhead.Top to bottom must be about 2 miles. The top if fireroad then turns into buff singletrack. It has a couple little hills that should not be a problem. The steepest part is the pavement from the single track back up to poppy. I only use this trail when I ride TK Exit. then ride the coastal El Moro seaside bike path back to Laguna.

15. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    thanks! Pick up and drop off seem easy so ill have to get out there. a few times, - My wife shuttled us up to ridge park then picked up in the lot at the bottom - and that works - but this might be another option

16. eteamer

eteamer Member

Fun Have'r
    Yep, my buddies and I have been shuttling it for a while. But please be careful on the down hill speed. There can be large groups of hikers and the visibilty around corners is not very good. Hate to lose this because someone was run over. A fun one is to park on the 133 and ride over the top of LWP and down to the beach. There's tables to stop and have a snack at Von's too.