Rotor XTR Q-Rings on 08 Stumpy Carbon Pro

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by culturesponge, Aug 5, 2009.

1. culturesponge

culturesponge keep on keeping on

okay i'll bite... where Dirtymike - which quote? both???

we ride XC, she spins seated on climbs - the rings delivered more legpower with the same effort - better training times overnight

yes, same(ish) idea as biopace but Rotor had improved upon it, our XTR rings can be set in one of 3 positions favouring spinning or stomping and a middle setting for abit of both

not a placebo or sugar pill

i really don't care if you think i'm telling porkie pies

an even more explosive start could make all the difference in BMX, drop Rotor usa a line & see if they'll let you demo a ring? they've probably not even thought about BMX & might be more than happy to hear from you

.................................................................................................................

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    :-k How long are the cranks? (how tall is the mrs?)

3. 29SSer

29SSer New Member

I'm thinking of getting a 33 for my SS. Will this be fine on a SS with EBB? We should have tried to do a group buy!

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Please, that was not meant as an attack towards you or the Mrs, But it was in responce to when someone already has a great spin, what the advantages would be, and they would be Minimal. I service quite a few pro bikes over here at the shop, and non of them have these rings.

Oh yeah, I have demoed them, Ihave a set in stock as a matter of fact, noone that comes in wants them. I understand that they are an improvement from what Biopace was, I read up on this stuff all the time. It serves me well to keep up with the new goodies out there

When I demoed these on my roadie, I rode Oak glen up the front side, over the coarse of three weeks, My times up the hill were within a couple minutes of my times without the rotor rings, sometimes it was longer with the rotor rings, sometimes faster. Thats a bitch of a climb too.

More of what I was saying, is that these might have a place, but they are def not for everyone out there. For me, a spin class about eight years ago did more for my pedalling than anything out there that bolts to my bike.

Oh, the reason you dont see these is BMX, you need a deraielr to use these, seeing how the chain tension doesnt stay constant as you go through the pedal stroke now, Im sure if they had a way to do it, you would already see them in BMX.

Long haul, if your running Flats, these can be a great investment, there is a def flat spot in your pedal stroke when riding flats. If your running clipless, a good spin can already eliminate that flatspot.

5. culturesponge

that's alright mate, sorry also, i probably came out of the womb riding a tricycle

if they were a sh-itey hyped-up waste of money - i'd be slagging them off & warning SoCal mtb riders to not touch them with a barge pole

Abui 170mm, she's 5' 5" & had the bike over a year before fitting the Q-Rings - wassuthinkin'?

29SSer i've seen them on a SS, there's a link to a well written (& unbiased) review further up this thread, i know nothing about SS - except you must hate yourself!

seems next year there's a new design & massive price hike:

(from Kiwivelo in NZ) "This will be your only opportunity to grab these amazing rings at this crazy price. 2010 versions from this Spanish manufacturer will be much more expensive and you will be looking at prices of $550."

(photo of Thor Hushovd's 2009 TDF Q-Ring Crankset - Thor won the green jersey for sprinting in this years race)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  6. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

Here it is

[​IMG]

Have not had time to ride with the Q-Ring, I mean really ride. But first impression is, it feels like I put in a smaller ring in the front, bigger cog in the back. Easier to pedal for short.

Stay tuned for more for more from the trails :beer:

7. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

After giving it a spin on a fairly steep stand up hill, I can say the stand up strokes have a smoother power delivery. Normally, (at least) I would give short burst standing up mainly using my body weight. With the Q-Rings the down stroke does not come abrupt, it's a very smooth transition, allowing you to pedal consistently throughout the climb. In return, climbing faster with the same amount of effort, but less pain.

For the sit and spin part of it, same thing, the pedal strokes feel longer and smoother. My legs are looking for the top/bottom of the stroke aka dead spots, but it almost feels like it has disappeared - obviously it has not been eliminated entirely but a lot less.

Anyway, over all I think it does make a difference. For those with already have smooth pedal strokes, I think it would make it even better ;). I can say about 10-15% more efficient, but you have to try it out your self to come up with your own findings :).

Price wise, it's expensive for "a" ring. I paid $89, still not as expensive as the friggin' XTR middle ring...

I'll post another ride feedback after a long ride.

Cheers :beer:

8. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    Not Again

9. culturesponge

brilliant write up b3rnard

i'm really chuffed they are working out as planned/hoped

i just have to try and coax the mrs to write something as informative about her experiences (which are similar) she's now on the 1st position on her 33t middle ring - seems abit better for spinning over #2

keep the rubber side down

10. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

I just finished a ride today, up Brown Mountain from the JPL lot, then up and down a few more single tracks. And I can tell the Q-Rings made a big difference, especially in the stand-up routine - longer even strokes vs. mashing it left, right, left, right. It is easier on the legs and knees for sure.

So, overall, I am glad I tried it out - thanks for sharing it culturesponge :beer:. I am keeping this Chain Ring on the SS for sure. I'll post an update in a couple of weeks and see how it does on #1. I currently have it on #2.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone :)